Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: XJ shutting off when using signal/wiper lever.Still lookin' for HELP!New probs  (Read 3164 times)

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
+2 on the bad ground somewhere

all power flickering off sounds like a drain on power.

I would check all your main grounds and main power

CPS is a 10 minute job on a snow covered driveway

It sounds to me like you have a bad ground somewhere It will be a bitch to find because there are ground conections everywhere start with the battery to block connection then the block to body strap at the rear of the engine compartment

All the lights , radio,wipers,etc ground to the body then the body is grounded to the engine block and then the block to the battery

I worked on a buddy's car that had electrical gremlins it was all caused because his ground cable  from the battery to block broke so he used a shorter cable and connected the battery to the body replaced the cable with a longer one to the engine and all the gremlins went away

Worth a try  :)
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
Well I tried moving the battery Neg ground to another spot on the motor. It was on the bolt for the idler and  fan pulley because the other one is stripped and wont stop spinning. Now its just beside the usual spot in a threaded hole I found in the bottom part of the head. Nothing.
I do also have the batt grounded to the body @ the fender.
I took the Positive clamp apart on the battery brushed it out and cut a fresh set of wires out to clamp back down too, this was off the power that goes to the fuse block. Nothing.
I did notice though, when I held the key for a few secs and it started, from what I could see from the drivers seat, the positive side on the battery shot a big blue spark. ???  Next time I tried starting it after that I just heard a relay click once.

A few months ago I hit a bad mud hole without the cover on my engine bay's fuse block, needless to say it got very dirty and blew a starter relay. Im thinking my next step is to pull that off and pick at the tiny clips to pull each wire off and try to give them a good cleaning...

The strap ground from firewall to motor is intact. What other grounds are there that I can check?

Also, it is not throwing any CEL's unfortunately.

'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
Do the problems occur immediately, or after the vehicle runs for a while?

have you tested your alt? if not give it a good hosing and take it to a Crappy tire store and they can bench test it for you (free last time I had one done)
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
A few months ago I hit a bad mud hole without the cover on my engine bay's fuse block, needless to say it got very dirty and blew a starter relay. Im thinking my next step is to pull that off and pick at the tiny clips to pull each wire off and try to give them a good cleaning...

If your going that route, try some electrical contact cleaner & spray it down with that???
Have you measured the voltage before & after the fuse distribution? Power going in & power coming out?
Sorry to hear that man, but it's a start..
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

I called the number on the T.V. set & turned my gold in for cash....

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Chack the ground just under and back of the altinator, The ground strap ia attached to a plate that is bolted to the block.On my xy the ground straps where all good but, the double nuts attaching the plate where all loose. Had some grounding issues and now all solved.

yjcanibul

also - on my yj - in eng compartment - down by starter - there is a junction box thingy where the different wiring harnesses come together - check it for corrorsion - loose nuts or something unusual ...  when I put the 4L mpi/fuelpump wiring harness on this is where it connected ... the signal harness may also terminate here ...

consider disco the battery if playing around these thingys cause sparks will fly   ::)

I know elect probs are a pain the arseeE ,  hopefully the following will let you have a chuckle in the midst of the frustration ...  courtesy of jpmag - the gremlin

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
I havent had a chance to check any voltages or power with a meter yet...Started lookin into the engine bay fuse block today to see if muck was in the wires, its dirty but doesnt look too too bad. Gonna try a new POS post on the batt...gotta push the thing around the back into my garage as well...i hate workin out on the cold street!

Lol.....thanks for the cheer yjcanibul....Ill catch that gremlin someday....or he may just head to the junkyard with this pos. :-[
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline Marco

• UberWheeler
ive had simalar problem cps fixed it (but mine had nothing to do with column...?) go with the grounding issues like mentioned before they can cause havoc the most.
locked and loaded

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
ive had simalar problem cps fixed it (but mine had nothing to do with column...?) go with the grounding issues like mentioned before they can cause havoc the most.

yeah,.. follow the wiring harness and look for some wires that might be bare or scorched,.. possibly grounding out somewhere
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
Jonas, in this thread (http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=10519.0) Marco says he put his signal light on and his wipers came on.  Maybe your signal light switch is bad?
ve1sly

86 irocz

ive had my fair share too i have a 89 xj i actually had to replace every relay on the jeep and there was some wires in the hatch for the wiper there is a relay there to had to change it  even sometimes you had to get out of the jeep open hatch slam the hatch so the jeep would start these damn things r hard to trouble shoot  i had a faulty battery to which screwed the whole jeep up even heard of the coolant sensor doing crap like that too could be a number of things i did my battery first then alt then starter relay then all other relays then it was ok  pick n pull becomes your friend very fast to try to eliminate problems without spending alot of dough