Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: ZJ Quadra = locker?  (Read 2248 times)

jenny

ZJ Quadra = locker?
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:17:36 AM »
Hey, can someone help me understand if the factory supplied Quadra Track which comes with Grand Cherokees is a limited slip type set-up or does it function like a locker?  I am looking at buying an '04 and am wondering how trail ready this Quadra track system is.  Or will I need to blow some immediate cash on lockers front and rear?
Thnx

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
Re: ZJ Quadra = locker?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »
translation: your jeep is like mine. its all wheel drive and thus great on street conditions. this will not act like lockers on teh trail. you lift a tire, its gonna spin, the down tire will not.  both diffs are still open. 
just as an fyi, if you plan on going to lockers specially non selectable lockers (if you have the D44a rear axle there are no selectable lockers available for it, just an aussie locker)  you will HATE driving it on the street. think of driving a a vehicle in 4wd all the time with the rear locker engaged. it'll make ur nice plush wj ride crap.  if you do go with a locker, you should probably ditch the 247transfer case (all wheel drive) for something like a 242(found in WJs with the 6 cyl) that way you can be in 2wd and still drive with a locker in it......
hope i didn't explain that too fast.....
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 01:01:13 PM »
But our WJ have SUCH a sweet ride.... I would buy it just for the ride.... oops, already did.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
Some of the Grand Cherokees had a Quadra drive system that incorporated a "limited slip" type differential ion BOTH diffs. Its said to have almost 100% lockup even with a tire in the air. I'm guessing it would be about as close to a Rubicon type diff as you will get while staying with an automatic system.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 05:28:44 PM »
OK I googled it. Its called Quadra drive II and has to have the Vari-lok axles with it.

"A new four-wheel drive system, the Quadra-Trac II, incorporates a progressive, speed-sensing torque transfer differential. The system also marks the first industry use of Vari-Lok axles that have a progressive, speed-sensing torque transfer differential in both the front and rear axle. Without any driver involvement, the Quadra-Drive system keeps the vehicle moving even if only one wheel has minimal traction. Unlike other systems, Quadra-Drive works without straining, wearing or compromising the anti-lock braking system.

Quadra-Drive is standard with the V-8 and an option on the six-cylinder. On vehicles assembled in Austria, Quadra-Drive will be offered with all engines.

Under normal driving conditions, the Quadra-Trac II transfer case transfers most of the power and torque to the rear wheels. The moment a wheel loses traction, a speed variation between the front and rear axle occurs and a gerotor pump applies hydraulic pressure to a multi-disc clutch pack. This bridges the coupling, minimizes speed difference and sends power to the front axle.

The gerotor pump is similar to an engine oil pump. The rotor is driven by the front drive shaft and the case by the rear drive shaft which creates a pressurized oil flow to the clutch pack in proportion to their speed variation. As with the pump, clutch discs are alternately splined to the front and rear drive shafts.

Faster response compared to viscous couplings results from the ability of Quadra-Trac II to immediately pressurize the clutch pack and bridge the coupling when a speed difference occurs. A viscous coupling tends to respond more slowly because it indirectly transfers torque through a viscous fluid and never fully bridges the coupling. Another advantage over viscous couplings is that the gerotor pump uses the same lubricant supply as the rest of the transfer case, not needing the extensive sealing between the viscous fluid and the gear lubricant.

As in all Jeep vehicles, the Quadra-Trac II transfer case includes a low range for off-highway operation. Selecting low range gives a torque multiplication ratio of 2.72 and fully locks the center differential.

The gerotor pump incorporated in a Vari-Lok differential is conceptually the same as that used in the Quadra-Trac II transfer case. Its operation is virtually transparent to the driver.

Power transfer in a Vari-Lok differential is proportional to wheel speed difference rather than torque difference as is typically the case in mechanical limited-slip systems. Because conventional limited-slip differentials are initially pre-loaded to assure torque transfer, normal use tends to cause wear that reduces the ability of the differential to transfer torque over time. By design, the Vari-Lok differential is virtually wear free.

Compared to systems with a viscous coupling, which also sense speed, Vari-Lok differentials respond more quickly and smoothly to wheel slip. Response of the gerotor pump can be precisely tuned to driving conditions, enabling the use of this advanced system in the front axle as well as the rear."

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 06:19:08 PM »
I dont mean to hijack this but i have a np242 from a wj for sale, cheep... if thats a route you shoose to consider.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
I did more searching on the actual axles themselves that are used in the quadra II systems

called Vari-loc by Jeep, Hydra-loc by the units original manufacturer. There is a clutch, piston and oil pump inside the case. When one axle spins faster than the other, the pump produces pressure that applies pump pressure to the piston and then apllies the clutch and locks the diff. Very similar to a trac-loc with the clutches, but will release and not cause steering drag. This unit will not totally lock up, but is better than an open differential

I wouldn't mind a set of these from a wrecked WJ if one ever comes up
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:28:39 PM »
I actually have one for a D44, bought it off ebay on a whim but haven't figured out how to make it work yet.....