Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Wanna Help?  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
Wanna Help?
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »
I'll be bringing a set of spring spacers and shocks home and I'd like to install them Friday after work. Any one wanna give me a hand? I should have all the tools, but, my garage is a little cramped (especially with the 33s)Someone thats done this before would be a great help.

Wobbly pops on me.  ;) ;D
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Wanna Help?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
I think I might just be in for that. I'm trying to decide whether I need to pay someone to install a spacer lift on my JK, but if I can lend a little dumb labour to your project, I might learn enough to feel confident tackling my project by myself.

I've got an electric impact (was on sale at Ukranian Tire) that may speed the process along.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:37:26 PM »
I did the lift on my ZJ with dave, give me a PM.  Ill help.

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »
im in as well and maybe  we could do my spacers as well
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »
I did mine on my '04 Rubi 1.5" aluminum spacers with the extended shocks.  Was pretty easy at the shop with a hoist with floating lifts.  I'm not the mechanic and aside from rusted bolts etc., it went quite quickly for me.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:45:10 PM »
I have 2 jackstands with the integrated jacks, they give about 22-24" lift, do I need to bring them?

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 09:07:06 PM »
As you have probably deduced or know, the gist is that you disconnect the shocks etc. and more or less attempt to lift the Jeep off of the axle so that you can (in my case) take the springs out,  put the spacers in and put the springs back in.   

This means you have to be able to lift the Jeep frame/body high enough to unload the spring(s) and take them out while making sure that you don't over stress (stretch) things like brake lines, locker wiring etc.    The sliding "jacks" on our hoist were barely enough to do this even with all the rubber blocks in place (scary stuff I tell ya)!

I couldn't say how high I had to lift that sucker.  Having seen what happens at the show 'n shines, almost makes me thing an RTI ramp would be ideal... put one side on the ramp so the other side unloads, drop the spring, put in the spacer, put the spring back in and repeat on the other side... then do the opposite end the same way.  ;D

Perhaps someone can shed some light on how high you have to go to get this to work?
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:40:26 PM »
what time do you want me there
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »
I had a hell of a time lifting my XJ off of the springs to install 2" bump-stops. Even disconnected the LCAs. Finally got enough space to wedge the b-stops between the spring coils. pain in the arse.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:41:58 PM by Immortal »
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:36:51 PM »
I think I had mine up 2' when the lift went in, there shoul be no need to touch the control arms.  Shocks, sway bar disconnected and the axle will droop, have someone raise one sie of the axle and install new spring on the lowered side, repeat for all 4 corners

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 03:24:51 AM »
I have 2 jackstands with the integrated jacks, they give about 22-24" lift, do I need to bring them?
We could try those ....

what time do you want me there

I should be home around 2pm so if you guys wanna give me call first that would work.

As I said space will be cramped, I'm thinking of getting some spring compressers so we won't have to lift the Jeep so
high...

I wonder if I should pick up some hockey pucks for bumpstops?

by the way my number is
403-860-6984
Brad
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:26:32 AM by Yellow RUBI »
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline nickcoleman9

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 09:02:59 AM »
hey we did our o6 a few months ago, we used 2 rachet straps to compress it but other than that it was pretty easy.  juse ensure you soak stuff in wd-40 or something, also you need an aliment when your done, we just got home from vacation but i'll look at my schedual to see if i can give you a hand i forget what i work friday NICK

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 06:27:42 PM »
I can be there about 4ish, stupid work.  So are we gonna do both sets of spacers?  I might bring my new shocks and mounts if we have the time.  Turn it into a work party,  no pun intended

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 08:13:13 AM »
I don't have any parts to install  :(

The only part in the back of my jeep is the front air dam, and that was a very skilled "trail removal". I don't particularily want that ugly piece of plastic back on my JK, especially since it'll be replaced by stee lwhen my bumper arrives.  ;D

So I guess I'll just show up with some tools, and hope that I can avoid any major injuries.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »
didn't quite work out the way I planned...no chance to break away this afternoon. Next time....