Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 93 YJ 4L Coolant leak  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
93 YJ 4L Coolant leak
« on: February 07, 2009, 03:18:59 PM »

When I got home today and shortly after noticed a drip from the front end. Upon closer inspection, the radiator in leaking. It's coming from the fitting on the tank that the top hose clamps to. At first I just figured I'd weld it but upon closer inspection, the material on the fitting doesn't look metal. In fact, it doesn't look normal at all. Can someone tell me what I am looking at?

Thanks,
Ryan

My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: 93 YJ 4L Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
That sure looks like it was leaking before and was repaired with epoxy or some kind of miracle putty .   Quite , ummmm   ,  ghetto  , as far as repairs go.  Billy Mays would be proud.

That would be an ok  short term repair  ,  but should have been soldered  ,   or   ,  a better fix would be a new radiator.

What would I do ?   replace the radiator ,  the thermostat , the coolant , any hoses that don't appear to be like new and maybe the belt too.   This would be the high road fix .

The low road fix would be more epoxy , some stop leak elixer , pepper or  hot dog buns  or chewing gum.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:33:35 PM by Gearhead »

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »
The more I find out about this damn Jeep the more I...spend money.
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »
The more I find out about this damn Jeep the more I...spend money.

Ahhh, the joys of owning a jeep... :)

Id agree, that looks like its already been patched up. If I was you Id look for used rad online or hit the junkyard!...or if you realy feel like spending $, buy new.
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »
I would buy a new rad and hoses, if it was me. Just one more thing you wouldn't have to worry about on the trail.

Should have bought my TJ.  ;D :D
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:13:06 PM »
Not into a junk yard rad...went new but not hoses. They looked ok but maybe I should have. Hate bleeding coolant, I always overfill. Made a bit a mess in the garage. Hope the nieghbors damn rabbit likes the smell  :-X

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »
If your hoses are good, and don't leak, good.  But if not, buy new ones.  In fact, it's suggested that instead of reusing hoses, it's better to cut the old ones off with a knife and put new ones on.  If you need to go new hoses, using a little bit of soapy water on the insides of the smaller ones helps to slide them on.

And yes, you are spending money on the jeep.  But you're also getting a basic mechanic's course along the way....don't forget about how much that would cost you somewhere to take, and you might not learn as much.  ;)

You got a great rig,don't let the little things get you down.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »
Ok, so you told me so. Let me serve as a lesson to do thing right the first time :)

The old lower rad hose was leaking the next day after all the moving around during install of the new rad. So, I did it all over last night...while I was at it this time I changed the thermostat and gasket.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 10:01:36 AM »
knowledge is power. changing the rad yourself will help you the next time it happens. but, you put a new rad in, so its gonna be a while. good job dude!
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:02:36 PM »
Attaboy

I suggested , doing the whole enchalada because , on an older vehicle it's worth doing .
If you are gonna service the cooling system , it's best to do it right and do it once , then it's good for a couple of years.