Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: '89 XJ Headers  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Darklen

• Stocker
'89 XJ Headers
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:29:43 AM »
I'd like to put a performance heade ron my 1989 XJ, 4.0l. From what I've been able to find, '87-'90 headers are different from '91 and later. As such, th eonly aftermarket headers I can find for my model year are Pacesetter. Looking at pictures of the '87'90 and the '90 & up headers, the only difference I can spot is the location of the oxygen sensor.

My question is two fold.

1) Can the '91 and later header work on an '89 and if so what changes need to be made if any?

2) Is there anywhere in Calgary that carries Pacesetter? I can't find anyone in Red Deer who can get it even close to what I can get it for online.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: '89 XJ Headers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
thye may look the same on pictures, and even side by side they will be very similar, but you have to remember that in 1991 they switched to a HO version fo the 4.0L. im assuming the jist of the change is a better head design, intake, and exhaust. and since the intake and exhaust mount on the same gasket and use the same bolts to mount both, im gonna say that the older header is different for a reason. i know national has gotten pacesetter parts before. look at www.quadratec.com or www.4wd.com aswell.
YJ=Y’all Jealous