Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: which winch?  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: which winch?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 03:40:17 PM »
I run this one

You can get this one at Princess auto for $799 and it is wayyy better than the m8000

http://www.superwinch.com/EPi9_9_000_lbs.html

Have used it a few times.... through 3 ft deep mud, and 4 ft of snow, no problems to report. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »
fyi    Princess auto has discontinued the superwinch epi9.0 for all those who were wondering
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 11:57:17 PM »
A while ago I aquired a beat-up, bent outta shape, superwinch 8500,.. I re and re'd the best I could, and put on a snatch-block and it still works.

Pulled a lifted XJ on 33's last summer buried up to the doors in mud and just recently pulled me out of a crotch deep predicament.

I know my winch is old and to maximize the old faithfuls power I used a snatch block/hook,.. a worthy investment and theoretically doubles the pulling power, but the downside is it shortens the pulling length.
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline AMCJeep

• Budget Lift
  • Wheel, break, fix, repeat ...
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
Canadian Tire usually has the Superwinch LP8500 for a regular price of $399 with a Hawse fairlead. I've seen it on sale there for $350 at times. I have one and it's been great so far, it sure beats those Champion winches at Costco.
09 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Sunburst Orange
90 YJ AKA Papa Smurf"4.2, AX15, Completely unmolested
03 Ram 2500 QC, LB, 5.9 CTD

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »
Sometimes a snatch block is a good way to go  ;D

#1. You're reducing the load on the cable (this is assuming that you're not trying pulls that wouldn't be possible with a single line). Yes, I know that the spot where the cable curves around the sheave is a weak spot by definition, but I'm assuming that sheave size has been selected appropriately for cable diameter.

#2. You're getting more cable off the drum. As long as you don't get carried away, that puts leverage on your side (and the side of your winch motor) compared to what it would be if you were working on one of the outer wraps. Yes, your line speed drops, but we're not in a winch race here  ;)

#3. Doing these things keeps the actual load on your winch somewhat lighter, and the current drain on your electrical system lower.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline canfourjeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 08:13:08 AM »
Canadian Tire has a Superwinch 8500 regular price $399.00

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 08:16:04 AM »
Canadian Tire usually has the Superwinch LP8500 for a regular price of $399 with a Hawse fairlead. I've seen it on sale there for $350 at times. I have one and it's been great so far, it sure beats those Champion winches at Costco.

Just watch running that hawse fairlead with a steel cable. It won't stand up to the abuse that a roller fairlead will.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »
Chances are the winch isn't in the budget for this month, I'll probably end up getting the warn dx90000i or something like that.  The nice thing about the superwinch was the brake was not in the drum so if a guy ever wanted, changing out to synthetic rope would be easy; that and I read the cable tie-in the the drum was simple.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 09:17:40 AM »
If you can figure out a wrench, you can figure out tying a cable into the drum - on pretty much any winch. Superwinch's advantage is that if you make a boo-boo on the trail and pull your cable off the drum by over-extending it or it breaks and you need to pull off the stub and re-attach, their method of attachment makes that process easier. It's a nice bonus, but not a night and day difference.

Changing to synthetic on any winch is a good idea. The only time that the brake being in the drum is an issue is if you're "powering out" under load for a long enough period of time to allow heat to build up. If that ends up being a situation that you anticipate, then you can get sythetic winchline that has a heat-resistant portion.

Offline AMCJeep

• Budget Lift
  • Wheel, break, fix, repeat ...
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 09:32:29 AM »
Just watch running that hawse fairlead with a steel cable. It won't stand up to the abuse that a roller fairlead will.

I didn't use the Hawse, I have a roller instead.  :P
09 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Sunburst Orange
90 YJ AKA Papa Smurf"4.2, AX15, Completely unmolested
03 Ram 2500 QC, LB, 5.9 CTD

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »
After seeing a winch cable get ruined because it got pinched between vertical and horizontal rollers I've stayed away from them. Never had a problem hawse fairleads and have not noticed any ill effects from running one and have never worn one out.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »
Well, serves me right.  Picked up the princess auto superwinch last weekend and finally took it out of the box today.  The case below the release was broken.   :-\  So much for trying to save a few bucks.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 06:19:08 AM »
PA's return policy is pretty good ... I would think returning it shouldn't be an issue
Fug
TJ Rubicon

JUC 169

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »
Measure twice, buy once..... WARN!