Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What is a 710 knob?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
What is a 710 knob?
« on: March 11, 2009, 12:47:07 PM »
A few days ago I was having some work done at my local garage. A blonde came in and asked for a seven-hundred-ten knob. We all looked at each other and another customer asked, 'What is a seven-hundred-ten knob?' She replied, 'You know, the little piece in the middle of the engine, I have lost it and need a new one.' She replied that she did not know exactly what it was, but this piece had always been there. The mechanic gave her a piece of paper and a pen and asked her to draw what the piece looked like. She drew a circle a and in the middle of it wrote 710. He then took her over to another car which had its hood up and asked 'is there a 710 on this car?' She pointed and said, 'Of course, it's right there.'
If you're not sure what a 710 is Click Here http://www.hotautoweb.com/cogifs/710.jpg
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

I called the number on the T.V. set & turned my gold in for cash....

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
Re: What is a 710 knob?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »
Oh man, that made me spill my coffee all over my pants! When I was an apprentice mechanic; some kid brought his Honda Civic to the shop and said it was running rough. Two mechanics couldn't figure out why it was running so rough. I solved the problem by accident....I saw a severed deer leg ; jammed into the tailpipe. Weird practical joke.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »
Had a guy come in about a year ago looking for parts for a pontiac goolie.  Couldn't figure out what the hell he was talking about till I saw his car, a pontiac 6000LE.  Had a good laugh over that one.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:03:11 PM »
 :-X ;D
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

wrenchead99

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:05:06 PM »
you can purchase replacements at www.kalecoauto.com under "replacement"   along with a new Kuhneutson Valve (recommended)  and the all important Muffler Bearing  ;D

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:39:03 PM »
i actually witnessed this happen at a shop i worked in years ago. again, little old lady. needed a 710 cap.
we had a lady bring her car to us for and oil change and tire rotation. when we were done we washed it and parked it out front. she was very nice, paid her bill and left. not 2 minutes later she comes back in cursing up a storm saying we didnt rotate her tires properly! my boss, another tech and i all told her that the tires were rotated properly as witnessed by a few people. her response was this, "if you rotated my tires properly then why arent the valves all pointing up?"
well as the lady waited patiently inside, we all went outside with a jack and made sure all the valves were pointing up. she came out, was very please. and left happily on her way.
can you believe these people are alowed to drive! and they have the right to vote too;)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 11:27:08 PM »
can you believe these people are alowed to drive! and they have the right to vote too;)

Sheesh... what are we to do with all those women? keep them in the kitchen? 
I blame our grandparents.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 12:39:05 AM »
Hay you want to hear horror stories come over to the heavy truck side of things. Did you know that class 1 license also comes with a mechanics license. The best of the worst is having a long hale tuck come in, driven by a group of individuals that are not originally from Canada, complaining about a drive line vibration. Cool probably u-joint. Bring in shop over the pit. Go to under to have a look. First thing I noticed was something was frozen to the drive shaft (it was winter) I got closer and then I thought it looked like “crap” white paper and all. I looked up and saw the hole cut in the floor of the sleeper bunk. Holy crap it was crap. I have never come out of the pit that fast in my life. Told the boss and he looked and threw them out of the shop.
Yes I have head that story many times but never truly believed it until I saw it. The truck only stops for fuel and to switch loads. They usually run with 3 to 4 drivers in one truck and when you have to go you have to go
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »
you can purchase replacements at www.kalecoauto.com under "replacement"   along with a new Kuhneutson Valve (recommended)  and the all important Muffler Bearing  ;D

This is the site I was looking for...
It's the only place that sells blinker fluid.. Sweet!

Edit: sold out, dang it...  http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=6
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:35:08 AM by Jsun »
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

P-Dubb

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »
hahahaha blinker fluid

FullMetalJeep

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »
we had a guy come back after we worked on his truck, dont remember what for but, he came back all fumed saying we had somehow mucked up his transmission, and that the clutch was gone and it wouldnt go into gear.... this short little guy about 5 foot nothing. turns out the mechanic was 6 foot something and had moved the seat back and not returned it to the positioin this gentleman had it at...

so we did simply that, moved the seat forward and put some phone books on it.

true story... minus the phone books.  ;D

Offline corsjeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 08:03:37 AM »
I worked for a Honda dealer when i was younger,we had a guy come in to get 4 new tires installed on his Civic,he was getting ready for a long trip down south towing the civic behind his huge 35+ ft diesel pusher,he hooked up and left,he returned about 1/2 hour later,he had forgot to put the car in neutral,this was at crowfoot honda and he went straight down the 1a from our shop,so was doing 100km when he noticed all the smoke,he traded that one in that day and left with a new Civic,one of the techs bought his old one,was that motor ever a mess!it must of hit 10,000 rpm and then flew apart from top to bottom!

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 09:42:15 PM »
the trans tech in the dealership im at told me the TJ 42rle isnt a bad tranny really. he said he only a had a few apart over the years. and then he went into a neat story.
well this one TJ was purchased for the same reaosn as that honda. tow behind a RV. well the jeep was hooked up and i guess the story goes that the guy didnt put the transfer case in neutral, he put it in low range. transfer case was just fine as the pump is off the rear driveshaft so it got some lube. whereas the poor auto trans was litterally seized solid. all the clutches and drums and bands were one solid piece with the case. that was an impressive story. some say in life its who you know, not what you know. as such this guy did get warranty. even after admitting what he did.
YJ=Y’all Jealous