Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Whats your locker of choice??  (Read 4980 times)

Offline 2grand4u

• UberWheeler
Whats your locker of choice??
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:45:17 PM »
ok i'm building a a d30 for my zj i was just wonder what every one is running for locker and how do they like them. 

i have full time 4 so it makes things difficult
2011 ford ranger going to get some love soon

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Re: Whats your locker of choice??
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »
ARB all the way, especially for the front.  I have them front and rear and have had ZERO issues with them.  Also they don't have any negative effects on road manners on the street.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »
I like using lock-rites with locking hubs up front, the lock-rite is very reliable, cheap and easy to install.  Nice to have locking hubs up front, less wear on the front driveline and if something in the front driveline breaks you just unlock it and coast home in 2wd. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:03:33 PM by The Machinist »
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:08:55 PM »
ARBs F/R in mine as well. quite delightful on the road and usually work well on the trail..i 've had issues with my airlines freezing up once this winter. it was ok AFTER i got out of trouble.........  just a random thing i guess, still love the ARB up front.

if u run an auzzie up front that'll be painful with your AWD and front axle. you will need to either swap to hubs as stated, to run a full time locker. if u do this might as well get rid of the AWD transfer case.   OR run an ARB/OX

what are u running in the rear?  do u have the aluminum D44? (if u have V8 u do)  there aren't  alot of locker options for this axle either, only an aussie if u can find one online... regardless, with the AWD, being locked in the front and/or rear will be painful with that transfer case. might wanna think of swapping it out, again, UNLESS you go selectable (and there is no option for that in the rear D44a)

good luck with it

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:51:06 PM »
what are u running in the rear?  do u have the aluminum D44? (if u have V8 u do) 

I thought it was the D35 in the rear?
I could be mistaken, definitely wouldn't be the first time..

What about going with a Turetrac setup? Are there any reasons as to why someone would go this route instead of lockers?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:17:25 PM by Jsun »
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

I called the number on the T.V. set & turned my gold in for cash....

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:10:12 AM »
What about going with a Turetrac setup? Are there any reasons as to why someone would go this route instead of lockers?

A truetrac is just as expensive to install as a detroit and close to an ARB so you might as well just go with a locker and do it right the first time.  I was seriously thinking about a truetrac for my rig many years ago, but I am REALLY glad I told the plunge and just went with a full locker.  Truetracs are decent for the front, but you in the rear you can outgrow them pretty quickly depending on the types of trails you run.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:38:45 AM »
I thought it was the D35 in the rear?
I could be mistaken, definitely wouldn't be the first time..

sorry jsun, if u have a 93-95 its standard D35.   96-98 if you have the V8 then u have a D44a, which has an aluminum centre section and cast iron tubes.   same axle that comes in any V8 grand till 04 pretty much. its not a terrible axle, but it has next to no aftermarket support, and it has a tendency to bend and break as the housing is aluminum and tubes are cast.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 08:46:31 AM »

sorry jsun, if u have a 93-95 its standard D35.   96-98 if you have the V8 then u have a D44a, which has an aluminum centre section and cast iron tubes.   same axle that comes in any V8 grand till 04 pretty much. its not a terrible axle, but it has next to no aftermarket support, and it has a tendency to bend and break as the housing is aluminum and tubes are cast.

and you still want to take the WJs on the 101? crazy
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 09:46:23 AM »
Did any of the WJ's have the truetrac installed from the factory?
Reason I ask is that if they did... one could pull the truetrac from the front of a WJ & throw in the extra cash for the ARB locker in the rear?

95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:54:07 AM »
Did any of the WJ's have the truetrac installed from the factory?
Reason I ask is that if they did... one could pull the truetrac from the front of a WJ & throw in the extra cash for the ARB locker in the rear?

Truetracs are made by Eaton / Detroit and WJs never had one from the factory.  Jeep does regularly install a clutch type limited slip differential in the rears.  Truetracs are a gear type limited slip and last a lot longer than clutch-type.  The LS that Jeep normally uses is called Tracklock I believe
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »
or a trash loc ;) although mine would work sometimes. i just needed to apply the parking brake to engage it.
 jsun if u have the tow package you'll have a trac loc in the rear already but the clutches on it are probably worn down after all these years. the tracs never came in WJs i believe. pretty sure there were never any traction aides added to the D44s in Grands. they are all open carriers, nothing came in the fronts ever i think

i don't think there are many cheap options out there asides from full time drop in lockers.  but as BlackYJ said, you'll never regret having a selectable like the ARB..........

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »
So let's say one goes with the ARB selectable, would it be best to install the locker to the front diff first & then rear at a later time when funds come around?
Seeing as tho I have some sort of LSD (dependent on condition of clutch pack) in the rear, would this make sense?
Also, having said that, If I have the trac loc in the rear diff, should I try adding some friction modifier to tighten up the clutches?

It's seems that there are a quite a few people who run with truetracs up front & lockers in the rear, I just don't see why anyone would use this set-up if the Eaton Truetrac is the same cost of having a full locker in place?!?!?!
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 01:28:34 PM »
WOW...Alot of BS inthis thread regarding pricing and performance of various lockers/limited slip diffs. First off, last time I check prices(which has been often and recent as I just bought gears and diffs) OX Lockers were $1700.00 each! Detroit Trutrac was about $750- 800 from Modern, but only $550 (dana 30) from Mopac. Trutracs are significantly less expensive than OX or ARB, and will preform well on all but the most extreme trails....and this has been demonstrated by a few members and past members of the CJA who would run the toughest trails with locked rigs, while only running Trutracs front and rear themselves. My last jeep was fully locked, and yes the capability was great, but in all reality, there was very few obstacles or trails that my good friend Milan, running trutracs, couldn't follow me on. I will be running front and rear trutracs on my new jeep build and I know I will still be able to do 95% of the difficulty level, trail wise, that I use to do. NOW...all that being said, if I could justifiy $3400 plus install cost, I would definitely run front and rear OX Lockers. I ran one in the front of my last jeep and it was awesome and reliable ALL the time.....no air leaks, no electrical shorts....just a mechanical cable attached to a nice little shift lever....simple and strong.

RACKMAN

2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon. 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4 Crewcab.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
I rarely use my locker in the front but it is nice to have when I need it.  Having a locker in the front puts a lot of stress on you front components and affects steering ability.  I definitely prefer having a rear locker over the front locker.  When I need a little extra traction I can turn on the rear, I can still steer and not have to worry about binding the front axle.  Having lockers front and rear can get you into A LOT of trouble very quickly and you have to have the skill to use them.  A rear locker is great and you will get through a heck of a lot more obstacles.  I would recommend a rear locker first because the LS you might have is not the greatest to big with

It's seems that there are a quite a few people who run with truetracs up front & lockers in the rear, I just don't see why anyone would use this set-up if the Eaton Truetrac is the same cost of having a full locker in place?!?!?!

This is why truetracs are popular for front applications.  They give you a little extra traction but don't lock right up like a full locker so there is less stress on the shafts and u-joints
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »
if you indeed do have said axle in the rear with the tracloc (D35), you cannot run a drop in locker (aussie, ezlocker, locrite, etc) cause its a limited slip and the casing is different.  when i was looking at locker options for my 95 all the info i found on the trutrac said it wouldn't work in a limited slip carrier, and everyone i talked to said teh same......
you will need a new carrier which means new gear setup etc..  so you are pretty much limited to a full case locker.  a full case detroit or arb kind of deal.  and while you are at it, might as well regear too (if u ever plan on it my .02)

personally i'd lock the rear first, (full case) then the front when u have the funds.......... or if u plan on doing a gear swap ever, do it all at the same time. (maybe not locking the front end.

you'd be amazed at how nice the ZJ will be locked in the rear.  

i would also keep in mind man, if u lock the rear, u might wanna do that 242 swap ASAP
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:37:52 PM by JOhnnyC »