Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Where to buy frameless top?  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
Where to buy frameless top?
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:43:31 AM »
Some old posts I have run into indicate somewhere in Edmonton used to sell these for like $400? cheap anyways. But the owner had a bad rap...sold business, plans, rights or something, etc.

I really want one of these. Looking at all the softtop stuff I have is pretty daunting and complicated. The frameless looks so easy. Am I wrong? Is the soft top not as bad as it looks?

Suns out and I wanna get this roof off! If anyone wants to sell one, I'll pay top dollar :)
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Where to buy frameless top?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
What sort of Jeep is this for? JK, TJ, YJ, CJ?

There is supposedly a guy in Edmonton that does tops.

http://www.offroadheros.com/

I don't want to get into any of that "bad rap" stuff since I don't have any first-hand experience. I detected enough of an odour around the company that I steered clear...but maybe I was just too nervous.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »
I'll step into it....California Tops in Edmonton.....no longer in business as far as I know, and from this thread, I certainly hope not:

http://www.missioncontrol.ca/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148676344/0
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline stroker sahara

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:05:35 PM »
I had one of these tops on my YJ. It was nice for the fact that it didn't require a lot of hardware for it. It was very noisy and didn't really fit worth a s..t. Some of the stitching was coming apart as well. I ended up selling it and have picked up a factory soft top instead.
If you want to run with the big dogs you have to be able to pee in the tall grass.

1989 YJ SOA, 36" SX, 4.6 Stroker...

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 01:07:07 PM »
I liked my California Top.  Not as quiet on the highway as a sailcloth stock top.  Didn't use latches at the front either.  Very easy to use otherwise.  I liked mine because it was different and I could leave it in the garage and not loose "cargo space".  That said, he was known for being out there and although I have owned 3, I don't plan on getting another.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:18:41 PM »
Some old posts I have run into indicate somewhere in Edmonton used to sell these for like $400? cheap anyways. But the owner had a bad rap...sold business, plans, rights or something, etc.

I really want one of these. Looking at all the softtop stuff I have is pretty daunting and complicated. The frameless looks so easy. Am I wrong? Is the soft top not as bad as it looks?

Suns out and I wanna get this roof off! If anyone wants to sell one, I'll pay top dollar :)

I have a spice colored frameless california top with the tinted windows. includes toneao cover. 
i also have spice colored bestop soft doors and soft windows for a TJ.

make me an offer.    Dave 403- 850-6297

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »
He needs one for a yj

btw: I love mine :D, less hardware and is actually easier than what most people think to install.

no bow,.. just uses the roll bars as framework

Looks like this for those that have never seen one - bestop calls then the trek top but don't make it for the yj

The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »
Yeah guys sorry. I'm looking for one for a YJ.

Looks like 'Tim' has a number of sites. California Tops is still active too. http://californiatops.com/

Apparently prices have skyrocketed despite his reputation. It's now like ~$900CAD for one of these. $500 I'll take your off your hand tomorrow, what do you say Jay? :)

My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 09:35:34 PM »
... $500 I'll take your off your hand tomorrow, what do you say Jay? :)

*COUGH*suckmyalmondchickenballs*COUGH*

:D

Ya know,.. looking at those new california tops, they are cool,.. very versatile - can be just a bikini top,.. or a giant sunroof, looks like it's worth the money
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:42:36 AM by barmanjay »
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline jeepxtc

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:48:18 PM »

I don't want to get into any of that "bad rap" stuff since I don't have any first-hand experience. I detected enough of an odour around the company that I steered clear...but maybe I was just too nervous.

California Tops...http://www.californiatops.com/index.html  its odd the pics are exactly the same as offroad heros...possibly a alternate company name in case of upset previous customers...to be honest I bought a california top - second hand from a buddy in Edmonton....no probs ..and awsome quality
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:50:09 PM by jeepxtc »

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 07:17:22 AM »
What I've read on other forums (where this company's name is mud) suggests that California Tops and Offorad Heroes are the same - or at least have the same principal person behind them. I think the multiple company names is part of the reason for the slagging.

Again, I don't know any of this first hand, so don't let my repetition of internet rumours make your decisions for you.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 07:55:26 AM »
I've decided I'm a little too weary given all the bad press to just blindly order something from one of those places. I'm still looking.

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline slimbeam

• UberWheeler
  • 4" RE,3"body,35"rubber,dana 44 rear,sye,KEW winch
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 09:23:10 PM »
 Calitops has a new store in Ontario  probably same guy
I started out with nothing and so far I have most of it left

nvrsbr

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:08:49 AM »

Dang those are some sweet Tops...