Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Tread Lightly Canada  (Read 27671 times)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: Tread Lightly Canada
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2009, 10:50:38 AM »
Optimism...
i had some of that for a while. Than i lost it.
But, time went by and my bitterness slowly ground down to frustration.
So, i decided to go do the NOHVCC training and realized that we are done.
There are no trails that will meet the 'standards' of NOHVCC without a TON of work.
The CJA bridge projects would be considered an EASY task compared to the work needed to get 4x4 trails opened again.

And it gets better (roll eyes!)
They have officially announced the  group of people (Regional Advisory Council - RAC) that will be recommending to the SRD on how to implement the Land Use Framework for most of Southern Alberta. The official area is known as South Saskatchewan.
There is NO ONE on that council that has any ties to ANY OHV user group.

News release

May 13, 2009

New council will tackle land use, population, water issues in southern Alberta

South Saskatchewan Regional Advisory Council to advise government

Edmonton… The new South Saskatchewan Regional Advisory Council (RAC) will look at key issues such as water, land use and population growth as it provides advice to the Alberta government to develop a regional plan under the Land-use Framework. 

The South Saskatchewan Region ranges from the town of Crossfield in the north to Montana, and from the B.C. border to Saskatchewan. The region includes Calgary, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat. Approximately half of Alberta’s population lives in this region of the province.

The plan will build on work started with the Water for Life strategy, the Provincial Energy Strategy, the Alberta Plan for Parks, the Rural Development Strategy and the draft Calgary Regional Partnership metropolitan plan. 

“Rapid population growth and water use are the key issues before the South Saskatchewan Regional Advisory Council,” said Sustainable Resource Development Minister Ted Morton. “We have to be smarter about our future growth. Now is the time to manage the impact on our landscapes and watersheds.”

Eighteen members representing municipal and provincial bodies, industry and environmental perspectives have been appointed so far to the South Saskatchewan RAC. Government is awaiting a member from Treaty 7 First Nations and is holding a seat on the RAC for this member. Rob Penny, an Alberta Environment assistant deputy minister, will chair the council.

The South Saskatchewan RAC is the second council established for the seven land-use planning regions across Alberta. The Lower Athabasca council was announced in December 2008. The remaining five will be phased in by the end of 2011.

Once approved, the regional plans will provide the direction for land and natural resource use in all of the regions and help Alberta better balance its economic development with social and environmental values.

The Land-use Framework is available at www.landuse.alberta.ca.

- 30 -
Backgrounder: South Saskatchewan RAC members

Media inquiries may be directed to:

Dave Ealey
Sustainable Resource Development
780-427-8636
[email protected]      

To call toll-free within Alberta dial 310-0000.
May 13, 2009

South Saskatchewan Regional Advisory Council members

The Regional Advisory Councils, under the Land-use Framework, will provide the Government of Alberta with advice in the development of regional plans. The members of the South Saskatchewan Regional Advisory Council are as follows.

Rob Penny
Council Chair
Assistant Deputy Minister
Environmental Management
Alberta Environment
Edmonton   

Stanley A. Church
Council Vice Chair
Partner
Beaumont Church LLP
Calgary

Jay Bartsch
Former Field Operations Manager
Southern Alberta region
Ducks Unlimited Canada
Brooks

Linda Bruce
Mayor
City of Airdrie
Chair, Calgary Regional
   Partnership
Airdrie

Lisa Maria Fox
Founder and Executive Director
Sustainability Resources Ltd.
Cochrane

Wolf Keller
Director of Water Resources
City of Calgary
Calgary

John Kerkhoven
Manager Stakeholder Relations
North American Natural Gas, Petro-Canada
Calgary

Georgina Knitel
President and Partner
Rowland Seeds International Inc.
Lethbridge

Leah C. Lawrence
President
Clean Energy Capitalists Inc.
Calgary

Gord Lehn
Woodlands Manager
Spray Lakes Sawmills Ltd.
Cochrane

Hugh Lynch-Staunton
Owner
Antelope Butte Ranch Ltd.
Lundbreck

Ron McMullin
Executive Director
Alberta Irrigation Projects
   Association
Lethbridge

Ralph Nelson
Councillor
Municipal District of Foothills
High River

Greg Sekura
Councillor
Municipal District of Taber
Taber

John E. Squarek
President and CEO
Oasis Energy Inc.
Lethbridge

Bill Szabon
Councillor
Town of Nanton
Nanton

Daniel J. Smith, QC
Barrister and Solicitor
Gordon, Smith & Company
Medicine Hat

Kevin Van Tighem
Superintendent, Banff Field Unit
Parks Canada Agency
Government of Canada
Banff

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2009, 09:20:31 AM »
Nice tread highjack ::)

this tread is way off topic..please stay on the Tread Lighttly topic or start another tread ...

I will delete any post future post off topic.

Thank you guys

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »
Yeah, it was way off topic before i posted.
i never saw the info i posted before and as this thread started crappin on Tread Lightly a few pages back,
i thought it was important to get the info out that RCA trumps anything Tread Lightly, ASRD, AOHVA, GMSG,
SGC,CJA,RMDRA,AURS, A4WDA, etc etc etc has to say about trail future.
But maybe we can come up with more acronyms and task forces to keep trails open?

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2009, 12:23:30 PM »
no worries Tom.. not picking on you...

I think there is only 5 posts on Tread Lightly on 6 pages of posts ::)

Offline EVOLUTION

• UberWheeler
    • EMF Rod Ends Website
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 11:30:53 AM »
Back on the topic of Tread Lightly Canada....

Incase anyone is interested in becoming a member, they don't have a bank account set up yet and that is why you can't sign up on their website just yet.  I was told it would be a couple weeks until they get everything set up.

We are going to become a "retailer member" as soon as we're able to sign up.  I, for one, fully support Tread Lightly & am happy to see a Canadian division.

Evolution Machining & Fabrication  403.935.3540
Evo Forums:  http://www.evolutionmachining.com
Evo Joints website:  http://www.emfrodends.com
Facebook Page:  http://www.facebook.com/EMFRodEnds

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 12:29:54 PM »
Tread Lightly is world wide now.
I read in a UK mag about them setting up there and Australia.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2009, 02:32:44 PM »
The current SRD culture doesn't include "Tread Lightly", and the program is looked upon as being in conflict with their own program.

Could you elaborate on that specific part of this please?  It sounds like you are saying that they think Tread Lightly is going against what they are trying to accomplish.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:20:16 PM by dunl »
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Corey Kruchkowski

• Budget Lift
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 03:50:07 PM »
Could you elaborate on that specific part of this please?  It sounds like you are saying that they think Tread Lightly is going against what they are trying to accomplish.

No not necessarily against - I am pretty sure they view it as an American institution, primarily funded by special interest groups.

I have heard several of the SRD guys I know well refer to "Respect the Land" as a made in Alberta.

We have a huge SRD presence in our area due to the enormous volume of oil and gas development.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2009, 01:37:30 AM »
Ok
I have watched this long enough and now have something to say.

One – Tread Lightly CANADA is going to be nation wide and should in theory work along side any other government programs, Alberta, Ontario, Nova Scotia or the Yukon.
This is going to be the same hear as it is 4 days drive east, Canada is a big area remember. Largest country in the world in land mass.

Two – I have never heard of Respect the Land, I Goggled it and got Food network stuff, a map of Alberta sowing different Provencal parks are nothing about the program, then finally 10 options in, a PDF file with a 7 page panflit taking about random camping and bear safety. We all know the government is not handing out much money for programs, Trade Lightly and its Corporate donations will have a bigger bugget, and using volunteers will get the word out more what is wrong with that.

Three – steward ship is the way of the future, I do not deny that. You are acting like nothing is been done down hear but there is. Your area was the first in Alberta, Congratulations. We have a lot of issues and added complications compared to where you are, a big one is burnt bridges to be mended, which is happening. We also have a much larger user base with every interest and option out their. It is coming it is just going to take longer.

In conclusion instead of fighting something that is coming and you can not stop. Why don’t you work with it? If SRD has such an issue with a program that is internationally known preaching the same thing they are why don’t they throw some money at there program so more will know about it. I guarantee that I am not the only person to have never heard of the program until you brought it up hear. Also if SRD fells it is not relevant that is fine. That dose not mean it is a bad thing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:42:14 AM by 01sahara »

Offline Corey Kruchkowski

• Budget Lift
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2009, 05:56:09 AM »
I am well aware of CJA's huge contribution to enhancing the current level of backcountry access in the Calgary area, and yes you guys have specific challenges. A massive population on the doorstep of the wheeling areas certainly doesn't help.

Challenges aside, the CJA pretty much is what our club aspires to FYI.

------------------------

I grew up in Calgary, we went wheeling in the Ghost/Waiparous and Maclean areas for years before moving North. Even 15 years ago those places were being abused, we would shake our heads at what we saw there. I'm amazed it actually stayed open like that for as long as it did.

I remember seeing the White Knight crew when they drove a fairly stock white Blazer, back when we thought a Jeep on 33's was pretty badass.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:08:59 AM by Corey Kruchkowski »

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »
Tread Lightly Canada is now s now excepting membership though PayPal.

I will let you know now they are not sending out the care packages like the US dose. The funds are not in place to facilitate that yet. 

Viosoks09

Tread Lightly Canada
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2009, 01:24:34 AM »
I wish I had the money to get in on some of that stuff.. Tread Lightly is a good Organization..

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2010, 07:53:17 AM »
The loggers aren't Treading So Lightly in Waiparous  >:(

Offline Sugarphreak

• Budget Lift
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »
The website For Tread Lightly Canada Has been Launched!!!

http://www.treadlightlycanada.ca/

Check it out!!

Bear

Is there something wrong with the website?

I keep getting this:

Error 403 - Forbidden
You tried to access a document for which you don't have privileges
I wanted a Jeep... but the wife gave me a Hummer!

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2010, 03:06:47 PM »
their website is toast.  expired most likely
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon