Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: ZJ rear DS  (Read 982 times)

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
ZJ rear DS
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:17:48 PM »
Have  any of the ZJ operaters out there put a double-cardon drive shaft on their Z. I replace the pinion seal in mine today, and after unbolting the U-joint I found that I only have about 5-6" of down travel on the driveshaft before binding. Is there a swapable driveshaft that would give me more droop, or is this a take to Drive Systems solution? Thanks for the input.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: ZJ rear DS
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
a lot of it stems from the yoke off your t/case. the shaft binds within that yoke. you can try grinding it out a little, or try to get an aftermarket yoke. i know jb conversions has better yokes for this, but you may need their slip yoke elims to run it. DSI may have something for you as well. do you ever droop your rear end that low? that being both sides at the same time, like jumping it?
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »
I try not to jump it, but sometimes stuff happens. A SYE kit would require a trip to DSI anyways would it not? 

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »
A stock YJ yoke has MUCH more clearance on it, is slightly longer and will swap right onto your drivseshaft and work with your t-case.

Also don't forget that usually the pinion doesn't drop much. Usually you drop one wheel or the other.  Unless you get air time....

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »
How much travel do you have at ride height? 5" down is quite a bit in addition to your available uptravel.

I have 16" travel shocks with 7" showing at ride height, I actually limit the centre of my diff so that it can only droop another 4"...That's plently of travel for me, and still allows a person to flex without restriction.

In essense, I think your's is ok....but you could also grind down a bit on the ears for additional travel.

Can you give us some more info on your set-up?

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:14:06 PM »
Front into rear swap. Shocks measuredto be 1/2" of shaft sticking out with springs fully compressed. 10.5 inch of travel on shock, I think. I'll check part numbers to make sure of that.
But thanks for the pics now I know what to look for. Just in case.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:04:10 PM by esi »