Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: GEARS?  (Read 4020 times)

Offline adamnigh

• Budget Lift
Re: GEARS?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
ill let ya know how it all goes and everything when i get them. you think thats a decent price? seems to be the best ive found so far, and i can go get them myself, shipping from the states would be brutal.

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »
Well, the best price would be finding a set of built axles on kijiji from someone who started a project and cant finish it.  But, you could be waiting a while and this way you get exactly what you want.  The cost to build a set of axles would be up there also.  I've already sunk $1800 in to a dana 30 and it's not even geared yet.  $5500, sure if you've got the cash get it all done at once and don't waste your time and money on smaller axles. 
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline adamnigh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »
yeah thats what im thinking. ive already blown up my 35 once, luckily it was an easy fix, but im gunna break somethin again and be screwed i know it lol. now i just gotta decide if i should try and put these in myself, or pay someone. im half retarded so it might be hard lol but my brothers pretty good mechanicly, how hard would it be? anyone know how well the 44's will hold up with 36 inch tires, there locked, but with chromoly, im not a crazy driver or anything but i do like to try hard stuff.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 05:55:37 PM »
I'm running 5.38s with my V8/auto ZJ. It had 36s and now 37s. I have NEVER wished that I had gone with a higher gear.

I broke two front axle shafts last year but they were stock shafts and I was using the V8, not all of it but more than I usually like to. I also had a posi in the front diff and think that when they snapped the posi broke loose and allowed all the torque to go to one wheel thus overloading that shaft. I now have an Eaton elocker and hope that keeping the power flow even will help keep from snapping more shafts. Chrome mollys are on the list though....

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles