Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 02 WJ CV boot ripped  (Read 1342 times)

Offline jeepers26

• Baby Wheeler
02 WJ CV boot ripped
« on: July 03, 2009, 08:06:11 AM »
My 02 Grand has a rip in the cv boot.. I caught it right away I had to drive it about 100 km's home.. now the question is should I just replace the boot or change out the whole shaft?.. I read somewhere that if the boot is ripped the joint is already toast, is this true? any help would be appreciated.. thanks
02 Grand Cherokee Overland
6.5" Ironrock Offroad long arm lift (front)
33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
Iceland Offroad winch bumper (no winch yet :( )
Iceland Offroad  cut-out fender flares
Garmin GPS
Cobra CB

Offline jeepers26

• Baby Wheeler
Re: 02 WJ CV boot ripped
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:35:16 AM »
does anyone think I should just change the boot for now and get some more wear out of it, then change the shaft when it absolutely needs it?
Garmin GPS
Cobra CB

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »
does anyone think I should just change the boot for now and get some more wear out of it, then change the shaft when it absolutely needs it?

if you do that might as well carry a spare for when it blows out on you on the trail...........  and if you gonna get a new shaft might as well just swap it in right away........... 

have you looked at converting to regular U-joint axles?
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline jeepers26

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
if you do that might as well carry a spare for when it blows out on you on the trail...........  and if you gonna get a new shaft might as well just swap it in right away........... 

have you looked at converting to regular U-joint axles?

I would think that, that would be a better way to go... more servicable..would anyone know where to get a set of u-joint front axle shafts for my 02 WJ with quadra-drive? cause  I don't want to have to replace another CV boot.. what a dirty #$%#ing job.
Garmin GPS
Cobra CB

Offline Mikes off road

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »
I have some dana 30 front shafts that I was using as spares. The only problem is that I have accumulated two to three spare shafts for both the passenger and driver side. Willing to let them go for $40 apiece if they fit your application.
98 XJ Classic with a Fulltraction 6" lift 35" MTZ on Procomp rims. Locked front and rear with 4.56 gears. Warn bumber with 9000lb winch. Custom built rock rails, rear bumber with sotc, and skid plates.