Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Hub unitbearings  (Read 2923 times)

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
Hub unitbearings
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:20:19 AM »
Hey, anyone know if there is a brand of unit bearings offered by the aftermarket and who/where, that are as good quality as the Mopar ones....or do I just have to suck it up and go to the stealership? :'(

RACKMAN
2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon. 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4 Crewcab.

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
Re: Hub unitbearings
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »
Good question...

For as long as people keep telling me they last, I started  looking at aftermarket as cheap as possible...  since I figured like everything else, they are probably all made by one or two manufacturers anyways ...   but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Which "aftermarket"ones are you referring to?

RACKMAN

Offline WagoneerXJ

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Bagon Wagon!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I work at a parts store, and I can get the crappy "Fenco" ones for about $70. I'm probly just gonna do that for a while...
98 XJ Sport 2 Dr, 3", 33's and Bushwacker Flat Flares
87 XJ Wagoneer 5", Dana 44, 34" Swamper TSL's
97 TJ 5.2 Magnum V8 swap, 4" and 33" MTZ's- GF's Jeep
84 Mustang GT-Built 351W 5spd
97 XJ - 3.5", 31" BFG. 370,000 KMS and counting!

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »
auto vale offers lifetime warrenty on the ones they carry.  this works out great if you change them regulary.

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
TRW parts are a lifetime as are their tie rods and all steering components. Might be wise to pay a little more but only have to pay it one time
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:43:06 PM »
I bought mine off of ebay, Quebec I think, and they have lasted longer than anything else I have bough.  I think I paid about $70 for mine.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 09:40:53 PM »
Send SwampSinger on here a PM, he runs 37's and the ones he uses should last a while for the smaller size tires.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »
auto vale offers lifetime warrenty on the ones they carry.  this works out great if you change them regulary.

Not too sure about that... the Parts Masters has no warrenty really unless you wreck them w/i a Month or so.... If you get the BCA kind (the better ones that Auto Value has... not 100% sure of the name) they only has one year warrenty on them... If you run bigger tires you will go through the better ones w/i a year for sure... and the new ones have one year warranty also. I guess you canm call that "Lifetime warranty"  ;)...

I get mine off a buddy at a discount... I'm not sure how much they are full pop. I think they are $225 full pop...but they are better then the rugged ridge, fags or Parts Master + they have one year warranty.

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:56:28 PM »
I got mine from a guy called roadiron1 http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/roadiron1  I bought them in April 06' and they are my 4th set since new, including the stock ones.  So far holding tight.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »
Ya, I have no idea what you guys are talking about regarding "lifetime"warranty.....All the places I called yesterday....Autovalue, Napa, Stealership, only carry a ONE year warranty. What gives??????????  Anyone have experience with the SKS brand bearings from Napa($259.49 each).

RACKMAN

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 11:33:58 AM »
Alot of parts at AutoValue have a lifetime warranty, but unfortunately they don't warranty it if you run larger tires..... and they know that I do.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »
I run the skf bearings, canadian tire sells them, as do many others places, they last for a while. Seems to me if you run oversized tires and bath the bearings in mud then wash all the mud and grease out in the rivers and puddles, it  probably doesn't matter. i always say next time I'm going to get the cheaper ones, but it is so handy when all I have to do is walk 10 ft and take them off the shelf. ( no, i don't get a discount, I still end up paying retail  :( )
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »
I run the skf bearings, canadian tire sells them, as do many others places, they last for a while. Seems to me if you run oversized tires and bath the bearings in mud then wash all the mud and grease out in the rivers and puddles, it  probably doesn't matter. i always say next time I'm going to get the cheaper ones, but it is so handy when all I have to do is walk 10 ft and take them off the shelf. ( no, i don't get a discount, I still end up paying retail  :( )
When you say "last for awhile", how long do you mean and what size tires are you running? Thanks.

RACKMAN

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 04:48:11 PM »
How are they gonna prove you put them on a Jeep with larger tires?  They dont have any way to prove that they were used with non stock tires.

Offline Greg-100

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 04:57:35 PM »

I tried rebuilding (two days at it), I can't do it with hand tools.

I used a grinder to cut the race that is pressed to the shaft.

When I reassembled it wouldn't turn freely.

I have a feeling that NAPA gave me the wrong bearings or I am doing something wrong.

Lots of work involved with rebuilding I think my cost for bearings was $70.

May try again sometime, but not soon!

Greg