Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: August 16th - Couple of Newbies?  (Read 10920 times)

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: August 29th - Couple of Newbies?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
i'd hit up waiprous. you can get out to the lake with minimal issues. 

I agree with ya Johnny. I have also seen expeditions out in Waiparous playing around.  Should be fine if going with someone else.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 11:39:49 AM »
The trail to the lake is relatively easy especially if you go in on the road past camp Mockingbird. However, you should note that body damage can happen on the easiest of trails. It only takes a small miscalculation of a rut to rip off a piece of body work and cost big $$. It happens to all of us at some point so be prepared for the cost.  Start slow and build experience.

I have a 2008 Liberty and have been impressed with its traction on hard surfaces and snow. The stock tires will not do very well if in deep mud. I have not tried to take it off road yet. It is our family vehicle and I am only allowed to bust up the old TJ, that’s what it is for. 

Have fun and be safe. Please make sure you have proper tow points and a recovery strap with looped ends so you can get unstuck once you have made your first mistake. We all get stuck that’s how we learn.  If someone else is heading out it is advisable to go with a bigger group, safety in numbers.  This is a great sport but please note it can be a very costly one.   

Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »
take mocking bird in... that WOULD be fun.... hehehehe.....
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
take mocking bird in... that WOULD be fun.... hehehehe.....

i feel as if there's a hint of sarcasm there..... and now i'm somewhat afraid   :-\

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 08:39:15 AM »
i'm up for mockingbird

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the trail up to Margaret Lake. I've only done it in winter, but it should be just fine in summer too. It's actually the first trail I ever did, by myself (not something I would ever recommend or do now that I know better and realize why), which speaks volumes for the trail's gentle nature. A good beginner's trail. That being said, please respect and don't underestimate the trail. To echo Blair, there is potential for a lot of expensive damage to our rigs, and as some people have experienced first hand, potential for damage to ourselves. That's why larger groups can be a great asset. But you have to learn somehow, so good on you for wanting to try. Too bad about missing the 101.

Please also make sure you have the right recovery gear, including tow straps and proper tow points, ect. If you're looking to get stuck, I hope you have your own winch, especially the larger vehicle, as it's unfair to ask/expect someone else to burnout or wreck thier own rig/equipment to rescue you because you're unprepared - I actually was in possession of my winch before my Jeep. Otherwise, start small and build your confidence/experience up while building up your arsenal of off-road goodies. There's a lot of experience on this site, so please ask if you have any questions. 

Remember: Respect the trails and they'll love you back. Have a great time out there :)

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
Thanks alot for the help and advice everyone.

I think the plan is to head up to Margaret Lake then with the Liberty and Expedition, and hopefully a couple other folks. 

Tinkerer, if it's not too much trouble, I'd LOVE to see the Garmin track uploaded, or e-mailed to me!  I think one of my biggest hesitations here is that I have no clue where I'm headed, and would hate to take a wrong turn, and get in over my head on the wrong trail.  Are the trails to the lake marked well out there?

Thanks again everyone.

Brendon.

Black Cheep

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 11:38:59 AM »
If you are thinking of going out on the 15 - 16th weekend, I could probably tag along for that one if you don't mind.  I have both the waterfall and Margret lake on my GPS.  Also, if there is a larger vehicle there I might have a bit better success pulling them out without breaking anything.  Let me know if there is enough people up for the ride, and I will see if I can round up a passenger (aka - winch runner). 

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 04:08:30 PM »
Well, a quick update here...

I just saw Kyla this weekend, evidently I'm a little slow in the head... She's got an Explorer, not an Expedition.  I couldn't find any front tow hooks on her truck, although she does have a hitch on the back end.  I'll be picking up a strap and clevis for my hitch on Saturday (or maybe before).

Still not sure if the Garmin i've got will accept the SRD Maps, I have to check that out tonight.

It looks like my buddy's going to be away while we want to head out.  If anybody's willing to come out, that'd be great (again), meeting places/times would be helpful.  How much time is generally needed for a lake run?

Thanks.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 09:25:46 PM »
Ill come out, if you go on sunday. I haven't  been out in a couple years and im a newbe too.  only a few runs under my belt.  If we can find a couple of experienced wheelers, to come and play.  A stocker run sounds like fun.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 08:42:27 AM »
any updates??  is anyone going or is this abandoned?

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
Re: August 16th - Couple of Newbies?
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »
Well folks - It's about that time, Kyla and I are planning on heading out on Sunday

I think our plan is to head out there for around 11:00/11:30 - if anybody wants to come along and help out, feel free to PM me.

Offline JeepJunkie

• Stocker
  • Coolest thing I did at Jeep 101
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 05:43:56 PM »
I just did the Margaret Lake run on Aug 2 from Camp Mockingbird and it was great!  I'm a newbie, so I wouldn't be comfortable leading, although I kinda know the way from Mockingbird.  Don't know the trailhead from the Gravel Pit though.   I've got a tow strap & tow points front & rear, but no winch.

As for the trail, it was quite easy - easier than the Jeep 101 even.  Some nice splashy puddles if you like to get a bit dirty, but not mud bogging like McLean Creek.

I'd definitely be up for a run on Sunday - was planning a run Saturday or Sunday (or both) anyways.

Just name the time and a meeting place - if any experienced people are coming, I'd love to try for the falls too.
'07 Rubicon - Black Stock 4 door mini-van

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »
alright then... I've looked, and looked, and looked some more - where exactly is 'camp mockingbird'?

I simply can not find it at all..

Also where's the gravel pit at Waiparous?  I can't seem to find it either.  What's the route from the south Waiparous staging area?  Or is it better to go to the airstrip?

Oh - and JeepJunkie - I'll PM you my phone number so that hopefully we can get together.

Offline jeepers26

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 06:59:18 PM »
I could tag along on Sunday... gotta change an axle shaft out on Saturday.  I have been out to the falls at Waipairous and to Margret lake, nice runs. I have the whole Waipairous trail system on my GPS.
02 Grand Cherokee Overland
6.5" Ironrock Offroad long arm lift (front)
33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
Iceland Offroad winch bumper (no winch yet :( )
Iceland Offroad  cut-out fender flares
Garmin GPS
Cobra CB