Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: August 16th - Couple of Newbies?  (Read 10917 times)

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
August 16th - Couple of Newbies?
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »
Hey folks....

a friend of mine and I are interested in heading out on Aug 29th (possibly).

I've got a 2008 Jeep Liberty, She's got a Ford (yeah - not a jeep).  I missed out on the 101 due to budgetary reasons... but I was wondering if anybody could suggest a place for my friend and I to go muck about - hopefully where neither of us will get into too much trouble.  Anybody willing to come with us and help out/winch etc?

Where's a more "stocker"/"beginner" friendly place to head - McLean?  Waiprous (sp?)?

Thanks alot folks
Brendon.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:57:53 AM by BrendonR »

Offline LAHAL

• Budget Lift
Re: August 29th - Couple of Newbies?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »
Hi Brendon,

If your both stockers and don't have skid plates, I would highly recommend that you go to Waiprous and take the trail all the way to the Water falls. Or if you have your heart set on Mclean Creek. I would recommend the trail that leads to Top of the World.

Its kind of hard to know what my plans will be 4 weeks from now, but if my schedule is open, I'd be happy to join you guys and show you those trails. I'm in a stock 08 Rubicon, and didn't have a problem with either one. But the easiest of the two, would be Waiprous.

Alex

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »
Well thanks alot for the advice..

I'm not set on either one really - as I've never been out - and not been to either.  We ARE both stock, and no skid plates either. 

Supposedly however, we're not looking at August 29th anymore, but rather, the 16th...

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:55:24 PM »
If Im back up and running I can take you guys on the falls trail in Waiparous.  It depends how much work is done this weekend.

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:14:59 PM »
Hi There Tinkerer - I can't actually speak for Kyla (the Expedition), however I can say that I've got front tow hooks, a hitch receiver/shackle on the rear, a strap, and a full sized spare.  I do not however, have a CB or radio....

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »
If Im back up and running I can take you guys on the falls trail in Waiparous.  It depends how much work is done this weekend.

You should be able to make that one, Fras.... oh, wait.... you don't have your 31"s anymore.....

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »
fras i'm sure you can do that in your stock ZJ, the whole 1" of clearance gained from your 31s over your stock 30s ain't that much ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:00:35 AM »
i am in for this as i have only been out a couple of times this year

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
Re: August 16th - Couple of Newbies?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »
hey guys (and/or gals),

I've found a couple maps that seem to be pretty good to me, on the Gov't SRD website.

McLean:
http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fieldoffices/southernrockies/pdf/McLeanCreek_Trails_kiosk21x39_Revised080710Watermark.pdf (warning, large file)

Ghost/Waiparous:
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/lands/recreation/fluz/ghost/pdf/ghost_map_large_2008.pdf (warning, large file)

Can anybody point me in the direction of the top of the world/falls trails on their respected maps?  Does anybody know where i can find named/labled maps?

Are my friend and I (and our trucks) going to survive this trip out?  How likely is damage?  Hopefully we can hook up with a few/couple of you guys to help us along - keeping in mind of course, we're beginners, you've gotta be patient ;)

Thanks alot folks.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:09:26 AM »
a fullsize stock expedition may be intersting on top of the world.........

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:54:38 AM »
Oh?  How so?  Does it get too narrow? 

I don't really know anything about the capability of Kyla's expedition - is it not going to be able to handle the trip?

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:01:21 AM »
well i haven't run it yet this year (thank god)  but last time i ran it there are some tight rock spots, and last time i checked an expedition has quite bad overhang/approach/departure angles, and less than desireable tires...........  there are bypasses to it all, but i've no clue what your clearance issues are with a stock libby and a stock expedition...........

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
Top of the world with the stock Liberty (I have one) should be okay going up and down the cutline (though I've never tried it with the Liberty - my wife would kill me).  May want to take advantage of the bypasses. Waiparous - should be okay - may be a few fun spots but nothing too bad.

Top of the world with the expedition ( I had one) - um... maybe not.    It would probably do Waiparous okay but if it got really stuck...  it's bit heavier than a jeep...

There is a good chance of getting some pin striping anytime you go out, in fact, I would guarantee a couple lines on the ford.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »
Top of the world with the stock Liberty (I have one) should be okay going up and down the cutline (though I've never tried it with the Liberty - my wife would kill me).  May want to take advantage of the bypasses. Waiparous - should be okay - may be a few fun spots but nothing too bad.
\
better question maybe how much experience do you have wheeling?  an experienced wheeler maybe able to get your expedition through, or your liberty, i don't know. i would advise going with someone who knowledgeable and willing to get out and spot you through; there are a few 'interesting' spots, specially if you run it backwards

that being said, i've see a stock nissan titan run the trail..... it did not get out unscathed however............

i'd hit up waiprous. you can get out to the lake with minimal issues. 

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
Re: August 16th - Couple of Newbies?
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, i looks like waiparous will be the better bet for us for sure.

Neither of us have ANY experience wheeling.  I'm trying to get at the very least, another buddy of mine to come out - haven't heard from him yet though.  If anybody here's willing to come out/spot/winch/tow etc. it definitely would be GREATLY appreciated  ;)

When you say "the lake" in Waiparous, you mean margaret lake?  following the markers 49-77-87-89-91-125-129-139-140?  Am I right?  What's out at marker 135?  (these markers are coming from the map I had posted back on PG 1 BTW.