Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New Jeep TJ buyer. Few questions? need help!  (Read 5731 times)

lilskaterpunk

Re: New Jeep TJ buyer. Few questions? need help!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »
Im use to Automatic as my BlazerZR2 is Auto, but I can drive standard and I heard standard are a little better on gas? Winter driving?

What do u guys think of a 2004 Jeep TJ Rocky Mountain Edition??? Anything better with them then a regular TJ? or just anything in general?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:05:25 PM by lilskaterpunk »

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »
The Rocky Mountain came with the D44 rear end, Alcoa rims, different fenders and nice interior.  Swing by the TJ tech section on JeepForum, they will be a huge help to you.

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 06:26:32 PM »
@WhiteOut
Sweet. Im currently looking at a rocky edition, It looks more comfort and better features then a regular TJ. Would u say if I have the choice to buy one for a good deal, to get that instead of a Jeep TJ? They both would be pretty much equal as in stock form.

Thanks!

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 06:36:29 PM »
How much of a price difference are we talking about?  Are you willing to pay that for the look of the different fender and the better interior?

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 06:39:45 PM »
How much of a price difference are we talking about?  Are you willing to pay that for the look of the different fender and the better interior?
Umm well if it works out ok, it would be around $9-10,000 for the Jeep. So price different would be $2000 and 2 or 3 years for the older Jeep. But I guess the older model, if still for sale, does have some beef up as in rims, tires, and an extra soft top. So there some kinda difference. Low range Kms, few ticks and scratches (Common on front of jeeps) the odd little fix here and there for the Rocky mountain. I guess it depends on price range of what I want to spend and how much I would put in. Im debating if a newer year jeep would be better then a older 99-01 year. I guess its shape and condition are a key part. Hope this makes sense... lol
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:43:25 PM by lilskaterpunk »

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 06:46:41 PM »
If the older Jeep is already lifted and had tires I would go for that, if not then the Rocky Mountain since you have to spend the money for lift/tires etc.  Have you though about insurance?  Its gonna be high, I was quoted ~$1800 for my ZJ.  The insurance companies consider TJ's to be convertible and higher risk (I think, my agent mentioned this.) add on more coverage for mods and then higher rates depending on age.

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »
Ya I did think about then buying a lift, tires, rims. So it may be a few more $$$ after wards. Its just depends if the price can go lower, then it should equal out to be the same with upgrades on the Rocky Mountain. Well see... Ill keep ya guys posted.

Yes I did check into insurance and yes it sky rockets! haha This sux! Ya its as a convertible and there again goes up. I could afford the PLPD and COMP coverage on the 04, but adding collision, well that just adds lots of $$$ monthly and well year. If I invest and vehicle is around $12000 for an 04 in great condition, collision would prob be a good idea eh??
As for the 01, well PLPD and COMP would be a fair price. Collision is more affordable as price drops quite a bit! So I'd prob pass on collision but then again, ur also driving around a $10000-$12000 2001 Jeep with investments. Collision might be worth it? So many decision and yes my age does not help as Im not 25 and NOT married :P

Decision, decision....

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 07:27:41 PM »
You should not pay more than 7k for an unmolested jeep TJ sport.
Do not buy any jeep with lift and tires as their problems now become yours.
Buy a bone stock Sport.
7k MAX!

Spend 2k to get it the way you want it.

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 11:33:26 PM »
Well guys, change of plans!
I am not looking for a newer Jeep as I would like to buy a older one in good condition and upgrade it myself, like a project. I would prob look around 1990+ YJ or TJ depends on price and condition. Price range of max would be $5000, would prefer a lower price around $3500-$5000

If anyone has one for sale, plz let me know. I am checking out the FOR SALE forum section but sometimes I miss topics and some are quite old I dunno if there still for sale. I can always ask :P I am also checking Kijiji.

I appreciate all ur help from above comments and learned lots!

Thanks!

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 08:08:53 AM »
Hey man. If you want to buy a Jeep (or any car) talk to my buddy. on here i believ he is jrama. He can find and anything thing for a good deal, he just bought a 04 TJ RM Edition with 24 000 kms on it.......and it was cheap and in perfect shape. He has 33's with a 3" BDS lift and it looks like it will eat you, but still roadable if thats a word. give him a shout? for a cheap jeep maybe try the ol classifieds or auto trader <5000 book at your local C-store. good luck

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »
@YoungFluff03TJ
Sounds good dude, thanks for the heads up. Ill see what he can do...

I have been finding many in the Calgary area but they do seem to sell fast and well some are just not worth it for the price. Once it has rust growing, well thats one thing I do not like. I guess it depends where and how much are u willing to modify lol Im also looking in the Lethbridge area and no luck so far on older years :(

Cheers!

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
Unfortunately there is no easy way to get a good deal on vehicle and yes TJ's have a very high resale value.The best way to go about getting a good deal on a used car is patience, research and agressive offers, not lowball offers. Espeacilly over the internet it never hurts to make a offer, the more respectful and polite you are the better the chances that the person will deal with you.
Kijiji.ca
Craigslist.com
Autotrader.ca
buysell.com
If you want a cheap(er) dana 44 look for a rocky mountain edition TJ

Are the sites you should be checking as often as possible waiting for a new Jeep to hit the market. Kijiji is where i have had the most luck with a lot of cars that i have bought. DON'T be in a rush to buy as there will always be another Jeep that will come along. Prices are often lower just outside of calgary too, if you don't mind the drive you can save a decent amount of money. Problem being that if the jeep sucks you just wasted your time.
-Compare prices religously and get a good feel for what the market value of a jeep is in calgary. (Example*) The below ad is a good price offer him 7500 and if he says no you can always raise your offer or say forget it...just an example. or just go look at it and make an offer in person, often if you show the interest of actually going there you can bargain down the price because they know your serious! Plus if the add says obo like this one your chances increase! Also showing that you can appreacite the car may help convince the seller to be more generous.  Hope this helps you out
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-SUV-crossover-Must-Sell-Black-2002-Jeep-TJ-Sport-W0QQAdIdZ148135067
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:00:58 PM by Jrama »

Offline aaronck

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 10:33:17 AM »
I found my 2003 in the Bargain finder-another good resource-I spent a couple of months finding the right Jeep-thought about getting a few differnt ones and settling for one in a color I didn't like or one with a lot of KMs, and having patience paid off when I bought my Blue Rocky Mountain edition off a young lady-never wheeled or bagged-low KMs, Patriot Blue with really nice interior.  It's been great for 3 years now, other than a bad rear end that was taken care of before the warranty expired.

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 10:41:01 PM »
You make me laugh... he'll end up wheeling it. even if it is "just to see what it can do.... juuuuuuust this once"

This is true. Buying a jeep is like a disease, and its contageous too. If you get one and lift it you'll want to play with it, maybe in the city at first then you'll want to see what you can climb. Then you'll be at a ski hill and decide you're going to climb some snow piles in the parking lot. You screw around there for a while and find you had just about as much fun in the lot as you did on the hill. Then the snow melts and you think maybe I'll go check out some of the trail systems around the city. By the plans you already have, you seem to be infected and could already be passing it on to your friends as well.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.