Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New Jeep TJ buyer. Few questions? need help!  (Read 5732 times)

lilskaterpunk

New Jeep TJ buyer. Few questions? need help!
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »
Hey!

I had a family member that previously owned a YJ, so im kinda familiar with Jeeps in some ways lol
I would like to purchase a TJ Jeep and if im correct, they were made between 1997-2006. What year would u guys recommend to look into for TJ? I would prefer 4.0 L 6 cyl and is there any major advantages or disadvantages in the TJ and years? Auto or standard is cool.
TJ Sport, Rubicon, Safari, what would u recommend? I heard Rubicon are worse on gas mil and have some issues and sport would be the way to go and also sport are cheaper in price Ive notice. Would u say TJ sport would be the way to go?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:38:15 AM by lilskaterpunk »

lilskaterpunk

Re: New Jeep TJ buyer. Few questions? need help!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
Hey!

Well I DO NOT plan on taking it off road like 4X4 or mountain climbing, etc. I would like to have more for looks and yet not lift so high that I have to start changing more parts then wanting. I would also like to keep a decent gas mileage because once lifting the Jeep, changing tires, u do lose gas mileage. (Experience this from my Blazer ZR2) It would be used for driving around town, to work and maybe the odd travel distance drive. I just prefer to fix/upgrade my vehicles just for a ruff looking 4x4 :2thumbsup:

My budget is still on decision lol If that make sense...
OPTION 1:
Currently I would have to sell my ZR2 and go from there or else keep my ZR2 and buy a cheaper Jeep TJ for a few grand ($1500-$3000) wrecked, low end shape and invest $3000-$5000 to drive for fun.

OPTION 2:
BUT what I would like to do is sell my ZR2, take the money and buy a Jeep TJ that I can fix up nice! I would say around $10,000 budget. ($12,000 MAX)
So my goal in looking for a Jeep TJ would be a nice body shape (No rust) I would like to go 32x12.5x15, 33x12.5x15 or MAYBE 35x12.5x15. That depends on budget. 2-3'' lift or the max without having to start changing parts. Accessories would be different, I can always find stuff down the road...
What would be the max lift kit I can do before changing parts? What brand or recommendations of lift kit? and how much gas mileage does it start effecting the Jeep when u jump up in size?

Are Rubicons more money then TJ Sport? What year are the Rubicons released? I would like to stay in a lower budget and then fix up Jeep.
Sounds like a Rubicon is more for 4X4 and hill climbing...

I love my BlazerZR2 but I know would like to try something different and to invest into a lift kit, larger tires, this is going to cost lots and yet the value for them are not high and I will not get my money worth if sell value. Plus its getting up there in Km's.
I think a Jeep would be sweet to drive and hopefully gas mileage does not cost's a fortune, but thats what u get when changing tire size and lifting lol I like the looks! ;)

So what would u say for buying? Sport or Rubicon. Best bang for the buck lol

Thanks for the help! Let me know if u need more info, or whatever! ;)

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:27:53 PM »
Once you mod that Jeep you cut out about 90% or buyers.  You would barely get any money back from mods during resale.  Rubicons are more expensive since they were stock with MT's, lockers, beefier axles, regearing.  33+ tires wont like D30 and D35 axles and need strengthening or replacement.  The higher the lift, the more you need.  For a show Jeep it sounds like you would be fine with a BB, 32's and a non-Rubicon TJ.

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 11:03:35 PM »
@WhiteOut
I totally understand about the resale value and that yes the Rubicon are more expensive because of those extra features. I totally think the TJ Sport is the way to go because I don't need all those extra features since im not going for 4X4 and hill/mountain climbing. Although they are nice features lol
Quote from: WhiteOut
For a show Jeep it sounds like you would be fine with a BB, 32's and a non-Rubicon TJ.
That does sound right! How about 33 on a TJ Sport? Would a 2-3 inch lift kit work?

@Tinkerer
Great info, thanks!
I believe the Sport is the way to go. Rubicon is more expensive and I don't plan on needing all those extra features, more of a show Jeep.

Now for a TJ Sport, what year would u guys recommend? (1997-2006) Is there different features in the newer Sport models? What is more recommend standard or automatic? (I know its personal choice and well u only get what u get when buying used lol)
Anything else u guys can say about TJ Sport?

Im currently looking at a 2001 TJ Sport, but I don't know if its worth it... Maybe I should look for something newer?

Thanks guys for ur help!

EDIT: Is there any Jeeps located in alberta area that u know are for sale? I have been searching online in the Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge area, but maybe u guys know of some buddys or sites to check out Jeeps for sale?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:47:14 AM by lilskaterpunk »

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:19:50 PM »
@Tinkerer
I would prefer personal sale. Can u link me to the ones for sale on the site here?

Sorry but u wouldn't hesitate to buy another 04? or 01? lol If u dont mind me asking, what would an 04 go for?

Thanks!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:29:29 PM »
well buddy, soundsl ike you answered your own question.
or heres wha i think
grab yourself a 1999 - 02. cheap. and available.  get  A BONE STOCK ONE. do not pay more than 7k.  just cause they are asking 10 doesn't mean it will sell. it won't. trust me, and anyone who owns a tj/bought a TJ recently. 

anyways, get your bone stock TJ, change all your fluids, get it nice and tight.  look for a cheap lift, there are a few out there, zoneoffroad.ca, roughcountry, etc. (internet is your friend)   you are looking for a 4" or so lift, with coil springs.  no spacers, and you don't necessarily need new control arms (these add more money to the lift)  tires:  if you get a 4cylinder jeep, 32s or a 33x10.5.  ir a 6, you can get away with a 33x12.5.............   thats about what ya need. you can do this well under 10k. 

note, DON"T get a rubicon. if u don't wanna wheel, then don't spend the dough.  you will be fine with the above setup. your jeep will be badass LOOKING and still be a good DD.

hey Fraser, 33s are fine on a D30/35 combo, and i'll say that until the day you prove me wrong ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 11:56:58 PM »
Sorry John, I forgot it wasnt getting wheeled.  So no harsh stresses on the axles.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 12:11:43 AM »
no worries fras. you can lock ur D35. beat the hell out of it. when you break an axle, i'll fix it for u.

you can run 37s on a D35 if you don't wheel it/try to spin the tires
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:01:50 AM »

note, DON"T get a rubicon. if u don't wanna wheel, then don't spend the dough.  you will be fine with the above setup. your jeep will be badass LOOKING and still be a good DD.

You make me laugh... he'll end up wheeling it. even if it is "just to see what it can do.... juuuuuuust this once"

if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 07:18:52 AM »
You make me laugh... he'll end up wheeling it. even if it is "just to see what it can do.... juuuuuuust this once"

I don't plan on wheeling it lol Maybe the odd mud puddles or dirt from raining, nothing big lke mountains, rocks, etc.

I still think a TJ Sport is the way to go, as im on a budget and as posted above, the Rubicons are a price jump up for what u get in the package. I guess if a DEAL came around, then I would look into purchasing a Rubicon. So far no luck lol Its all been TJ Sports in my range. I still would prefer for a nice 4x4 ruff look to show

Is there a better year of the TJ Sports that I should look into? Like I know there very limited to power locks and A/C and other features. But what year of the TJ Sport ''IF'' they did include and features that others didnt? Are there any defects in certain years? Auto or standard?

Thank guys, great help! ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:24:20 AM by lilskaterpunk »

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »
@Immortal
Thanks for those links and trust me, ive checked through Kijiji in Lethbridge, Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer LOL and thousands of pages! I seen most of these and just thought I would ask to see if there are any members here selling.
I appreciate ur help though!
Keep the links coming in!!! :)

Just looking for some more help on my previous questions? :P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:43:14 AM by lilskaterpunk »

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 08:43:17 AM »
I am an XJ fan.... let the flaming begin.
I had a 2001 TJ Sport, auto. I really liked it, but I already had a Jeep for the trail, and another stock XJ, and a WJ. I think in the 8 months I had it I drove it about 5000kms. I can't really tell you much about it, except that you will be alot happier with the 4.0L.

lilskaterpunk

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 08:44:54 AM »
@Immortal
Cool Cool!
Did u prefer Auto or Standard?
I agree about the 4.0L. I am looking, well a must have 4.0L and 6 Cyl.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 08:51:20 AM »
to me it would have been more fun as a standard.... but, I prefer the auto for on-trail... just personal preference.