Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: D44 Help?  (Read 516 times)

Offline jeeptastic

• Budget Lift
D44 Help?
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »
Can anyone tell me where I can find a Dana44 Axel for a decent price for a 1998 Jeep TJ?

If I am going to switch the D44 axel for the stock 35 can someone tell me what I want to look for to find a Good one? The last question I have will any D44 axel work for my Jeep or are there any specifications that I have to look for when I am looking?

Thanks a lot.

Offline stroker sahara

• UberWheeler
Re: D44 Help?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »
Bolt pattern is going to be the biggest issue when looking for a D44. The only ones that you will find are from a Wrangler equipped with one, such as a Rubicon (which are generally pricey), or an XJ/MJ (which are getting harder to find). The ones from the late 80's/early 90's FSJ Wagoneers are a six lug pattern which means adapters or 2 spare tires.

I would suggest going the route of a Ford Explorer 8.8. They are similar strength to a D44, have the same bolt pattern, and are extremely easy to come by. The later 90's versions (can't recall exact year) are equipped with disc brakes. The only downfalls are that the pinion is slightly offset to one side and they are slightly narrower than the Wrangler axle, neither of which is anything to be worried about. They are probably the most common swapped axle in your application.
If you want to run with the big dogs you have to be able to pee in the tall grass.

1989 YJ SOA, 36" SX, 4.6 Stroker...