Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Winter Wheeling tires  (Read 11092 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Winter Wheeling tires
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:47:32 PM »
When I take the jump up to 35's, I'm pretty sure that I will also switch to two separate sets of tires. One for summer, one for winter.

There are two real choices in my mind:

#1. All Terrains - probably the BFG AT/KO.

#2. A dedicated winter tire. I stumbled across one that's available in 35X12.5R16

I know that on road, the dedicated winter tire will outperform the AT - I just don't know how it will work in deeper snow. I've been very pleased with the siped MT's I ran last winter in terms of off road performance...but I don't know how much of that is due to the siping, and how much is due to the void space between the lugs helping them to clear lots of snow.

Some folks also suggest an MT that's studded, but I'm not at all sure that they will work as well as the first two choices. I know that Hankook makes an MT that's pinned for studs.

I know that there are lots of guys here who have had good success with the BFG AT's for winter wheeling, and I've driven them off road in the winter too (on a one ton). Is there anyone that can compare them to a dedicated winter tire in terms of off road performance? Or even a studded MT?
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: Winter Wheeling tires
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »
while its nice, its also a royal pain.  the bfg's are pretty good on and off road but not that much better than my Toyo MT's to warrant swapping and storing extra tires and rims just for winter.

as for offroad, i doubt a winter tire would hold up to the spinning and digging down to dirt etc plus all the gravel roads we have to endure.  they tend to be pretty soft rubber.

most tires will plow through snow if you keep a heavy foot on the pedal :)
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
How are those Toyo MT's on road in the winter (icy conditions specifically)?

I know that Toyos are generally a great quality tire, but I also know that the harder compounds in a lot of MT's can get a little squirrely when you "find" a patch of ice.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
i too have to find a set of winter rubber i dont think the boggers will do very well except for in powder
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 05:23:43 PM »
How are those Toyo MT's on road in the winter (icy conditions specifically)?

I know that Toyos are generally a great quality tire, but I also know that the harder compounds in a lot of MT's can get a little squirrely when you "find" a patch of ice.

they aren't too bad, feel about equal to all seasons.  yea they get a little harder and lose it a bit on ice but not as bad as I thought.  nice feeling knowing i have 10 ply underneath me when plowing through fresh snow.  pulled a sliver out of a tire last winter the size of a pencil.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 05:42:49 PM »
i too would run a Toyo OC MT year round.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:30:17 PM by Spinalguy »
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 06:07:46 PM »
Is this for trail use, street use or mixed.

Trail use only, IROKS, may have to go 36s.

Mixed, look at Truxus MTs.

BFG ats are highly over rated.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »
Is this for trail use, street use or mixed.

Trail use only, IROKS, may have to go 36s.

Mixed, look at Truxus MTs.

BFG ats are highly over rated.

i love BFG AT's as a ROAD tire.
i hear way more negative reviews of Truxus MT's than any other hyped tire. After much research, it would be a tire i would  never consider running.

Offline Sean778

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 08:00:55 PM »
In my personal experience, the BFG all-terrain is a great all season, and definitely competant on any road or mild trail use, but I would not consider it a viable option for a dedicated trail rig.  Great for a DD, not so great for wheeling.
'89 XJ

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »
i have 33x12.5  BFG AT KO's and had NO issues all last winter. i have not wheeled at all with them so i have no opinion on that
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »
Sorry guys, I should have specified. This is not a "trail only" rig. It's also my DD.

Right now, I'm working overseas so I don't have to worry about commuting - but I would still like to keep my heep "road trip friendly".

I'm willing to put up with noise from the tires, and am fine with running an MT as my daily tire, provided that it's actually round.

Offline crane man

• Winch Wench
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 11:04:40 PM »
has anyone tried the nokian vatiiva mud terrains? i know they make at a 35/15 x 12.5  i heard they were great on ice and snow

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 11:59:30 PM »
Hmm.... nope, but I used to run Nokian Hakkepalitas (Spelling?) on my VW Jetta and drove through snowstorms into and back from BC that had semis and SUV's with chains stranded on the side of the road.   The RCMP just about freaked when he saw these headlights coming and this Jetta pulls up, stops lets him know the ambulance made it to the accident, then pulls away like the snow up to his knees was nothing.  He said something about "Alberta Plates, Figures..."

German engineering, front wheel drive, and first rate snow tires = an incredible combination for snowy roads.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 08:15:43 AM »
has anyone tried the nokian vatiiva mud terrains? i know they make at a 35/15 x 12.5  i heard they were great on ice and snow
The oil depot guy in Bowness swears by that tire and they look angry on a truck :)

The Toyos last about 40,000 kms on a oilfield TRUCK. A JEEP would have less weight on them.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 10:15:38 AM »
best all arounder for winter DD and winter fourwheeling will still be a mud terrain with extra siping. or a mud terrain that has a lot of siping, not many do though. if you're determined to run 2 sets of tires the run a street DD all terrain tire with good siping and a fourwheeling tire with bigger lugs, sipe as neded. i ran my goodyear mt/r's all year round for 6 years and they worked well. my yj is locked in the rear. i am also very used to the way my jeep handles, winter or summer. out here it seems if you're doing any harder fourwheeling then snow chains are a must.
YJ=Y’all Jealous