Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Off road 101 Feed Back  (Read 8365 times)

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
Re: Off road 101 Feed Back
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »
Here is what is going on with the 101 as of right now.
There is a group of us that are working together making changes and creating a curriculum for the course.
We are now going to be approaching the 101 as a course instead of an event. The classes are going to be restricted in size and designed that 3 to 4 people can run the class. We are also developing a 102 of which is going to be more advanced and possibly a 2 day course.
The set up is someone that has never Off-Roaded before is going to take the 101, wheel for the year and then take the 102.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline SilverTJ

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »
Has anyone ever considered charging for private lessons?  Maybe one instructor and only two or three students.  I used to ride the trails in the Burnt timber / Fallen Timber area 20 years ago and everything I learned was through trial and error (more error).  I just got into the whole "Jeep Thing" and would like to get some lessons from someone who has been doing this for a while.  And it would be easier in a smaller setting I think.  I am looking forward to joining the CJA and getting out on the trails.
04 TJ - custom 8 ball shift knob

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 11:22:43 AM »
Has anyone ever considered charging for private lessons?  Maybe one instructor and only two or three students.  I used to ride the trails in the Burnt timber / Fallen Timber area 20 years ago and everything I learned was through trial and error (more error).  I just got into the whole "Jeep Thing" and would like to get some lessons from someone who has been doing this for a while.  And it would be easier in a smaller setting I think.  I am looking forward to joining the CJA and getting out on the trails.

It is a good idea for a business but we are a Club that offer our time for a week-end to share our knowledge. Private lessons will not happen .. sorry bud. 

Your best bet is to join us for some runs and ask questions. You will learn lots that way.

Hopefully I can see you on the trail sometime.

Cheers,

Dom

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
I agree.  I think if you asked, there would be people in the hobby who would be more than happy to take you out and give you some pointers, free of charge.  I think most try to keep things bottled up a bit in order not to step on anyone's toes, so when asked to freely give out knowledge, it's usually seen as an enjoyable oppotunity.

Unless you're one of those nit-wits who won't listen to anything - then it's annoying.  ;D
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 07:35:05 PM »
What I would suggest is come out and take the 101, we will be covering the general skills needed to off road and then come out on open runs and watch how others do things and try different ideas. This is a sport of learn by mistakes. getting stuck and hung up is part of the sport and as a new person learning it is expected. Heck I have been at this for some time and when I go out with people they take bets on how long it takes me to get stuck. (so far it is 2 times in 10 feet of nothing). Have a sense of humour about it, lesson and learn.

If you are still unsure about something during the run, ask questions. One thing is if you ask 10 people on how to approach an obstacle, it is very easy to get 10 different answers. try them all and pick the one up like.

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »
Aaron,  Have you picked a date yet?  I'd like to book off the weekend at work so they don't go ahead and ship me out of town.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
We are meeting at the end of the month to start our planning for the event.  We should have the dates then.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline SilverTJ

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 08:19:21 AM »
Thanks guys.  I do plan on joining the CJA and will be there for the 101, 201.... I was just thinking sometimes additional help, without slowing a big group down, is a good thing. Especially for a newbie like me.
Looking forward to meeting everyone and hitting the trails  ;D

04 TJ - custom 8 ball shift knob

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 08:29:12 AM »
just come on an open run most people in the club have no problem getting out of their jeep and guiding or tutoring you around/through and obstical. dont worry about slowing the group down, our runs are required to have a member as the last jeep in the line with a cb so that we make sure that you get through. and definately take the 101 i did it last year and had a blast.

Offline jeeptastic

• Budget Lift
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 06:36:15 PM »
When can we start looking for the sign up post for the 101? I dont want to miss it again.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 08:01:06 PM »
the dates and info will be out the first part of February. We are meeting at the end of the month to decide on all the details.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »
We are meeting at the end of the month to start our planning for the event.  We should have the dates then.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 09:02:49 AM »
oh but yes you are a robot IMMORTAL
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
Woohoo can't wait, I really enjoyed last years and I think everyone had a good time.  If you haven't been out in a group this is the best low stress way to get out there an meet good people who are willing to help you anytime, whether it be for a tow, spill pack, spare alternator or just to laugh at you stuck in mud, they're there for you .  So make sure you sign up :)
1991 YJ