Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Zj electrical gremlins  (Read 983 times)

Offline kellythebastard

• Baby Wheeler
    • http://Janedoerock.com
Zj electrical gremlins
« on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:29 PM »
Have a 93 ZJ going in for a provincial inspection and have to fix a couple of electrical cock ups,
1) speedo is not working, swapped out speed sensor still no go. swapping gear tomorrow.  any other suggestions? ???
2) horn keeps blowing fuses. swapped solonoid and can here it click before the fuse goes?????? ???
3) power seats won't budge. nothing interfering no idea.... :o
Don't you know who I think I am!

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
Re: Zj electrical gremlins
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:46:51 PM »
Sorry I'm not much help but

1) speedo is not working, swapped out speed sensor still no go. swapping gear tomorrow.  any other suggestions?

rotate the sensor 90 degrees try then rotate it another 90 try again and yet another 90 if that doesn't work I don't have a clue.

Dingman

Offline BBD

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 10:38:10 AM »
not sure about the speedo.
the horn most likely has a short to ground on the power side of the circuit causing excessive current draw which is blowing the fuse. you will need to trace the wiring and find the short with a DVOM.
The power seat could be a few things. is there power at the switch? if so a new seat base assembly may be needed. ( i dont think you can buy the motors seperatly.

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
Try to disconnect the horns. There are two at the front passenger side of the bumper. Then try the horn to see if it blow the fuse. I had mine get packed with mud and burn out. They would blow the fuse if I hit the horn. If the fuse blows with them unhooked, then you have a shorted ouot wire on the way to the horns, if not your horns are burnt.  Speedo could also be a groung issue on the back side of your instument cluster. I ghaven't had my Z a part but on a GM they used a ribbon into the cluster and the ground indented itsself a bit and made a poor conection causing similar problems. I think that the seats might be on the horn fuse as well. Pull the plug a part under your seat and with a test light or multi meter check to see if you have power into the plug.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.