Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Winter Tires  (Read 3392 times)

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
Winter Tires
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »
Just curious if anybody here runs dedicated winter tires on their daily drivers (and what those dd's are).

My DD is a 2008 Liberty - with the stock all seasons.  I'd like to get winter tires/rims, but no money till next year.

What are the opinions of All-Terrains in the snow/ice?  Is it worth it to have ATs AND winters?

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: Winter Tires
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
Just curious if anybody here runs dedicated winter tires on their daily drivers (and what those dd's are).

My DD is a 2008 Liberty - with the stock all seasons.  I'd like to get winter tires/rims, but no money till next year.

What are the opinions of All-Terrains in the snow/ice?  Is it worth it to have ATs AND winters?

ATs are crap for the winter... if it gets below -10C, the tires become hard as rocks and they stop working. Winter tires are made for snow and ice... ATs are for Spring, Summer & Fall seasons...

It is mandatory in some provinces to run Winter tires pass a certain date... I run winters and summer/at ... I like to have real Winter tires when it's crappy outside like today. ;D

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:22:08 AM »
drove my GFs TJ to work today with those rough rider agressive ATs...... pft. might as well have been mud terrains ;)
i've said it before and i'm likely to say it again, put it in 4wd, and pray ;) only real advantage i think of good winter tires will be stopping ability........ however, in my 2hr drive to chinook this morning stopping was never an issue. when you don't get up past 20km/h your skid distances shrink.....
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline BrendonR

• Winch Wench
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »
There are definitly a few people out there who wish they had their winters on already...

I've never actually driven with winters, so I suppose I don't really know how different they are.  I hear amazing things (day/night) about them on ice... I suppose I'll just have to hold off till next year and buy both sets - maybe the Winters on my stock rims, and ATs on some "beefier/less blingy" rims.

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:05:38 PM »
I run dedicated winter on all the DDs since around 2000.  I could never go back.  Winter is so much more enjoyable on really good snow tires.

My car runs a narrow set of Hakka Qs and I've never driven anything with so much traction.  You cannot slide, ever.  I just drive by everyone like they are stopped...

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:22:12 PM »
My wife had an '04 Libby and the factory tires were pretty awful in winter.   She got rid of it <grrr> in a deal that went sour with AMA.  Now she drives an '08 Rubi Unlimited (huge debt now) and I'm waiting to see what those tires are like on snow and ice since they aren't siped IIRC.

I thought about putting winter-only tires on hers, but we also don't have the $$ to do so.  A decent set of tires with good siping should be good for all year 'round, my Interco MT's aren't bad, certainly a vast improvement over the factory MT's on my '04 Rubi.

$150 at Kal Tire Chinook will get those BFG's siped for you Pat.  I'm at 35,000 km on mine now, and no chunking issues. I put lots of klicks on between Calgary and Airdrie last year and they did the job without issues. No, they're not dedicated winter tires by any stretch...but with 4WD and all the JK's long wheelbase (and ESP idiot-proofing), it doesn't take a pile of skill to get there safely.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

hurtmesoul

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
Since we're on the topic, anyone here have any experience with the Goodyear Nordic tires that Canadiantire has on sale? They're cheap which doesn't put the mind at ease but on a students budget, they're one of the few options available. The reviews on the site are fairly positive they don't really mention jeeps much.

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »
had to drive my sister downtown today on my boggers.. man oh man that sucked haha
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
Siped BFG MT's all the way!! ;D  I walked right up a few hills this morning that people in smaller cars with Blizzaks were spinning out nad getting stuck on.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 03:18:22 PM »
There are definitly a few people out there who wish they had their winters on already...

I've never actually driven with winters, so I suppose I don't really know how different they are.  I hear amazing things (day/night) about them on ice... I suppose I'll just have to hold off till next year and buy both sets - maybe the Winters on my stock rims, and ATs on some "beefier/less blingy" rims.

I also have a 2008 liberty as a DD. Its ATs and traction control/ anti skid/ anti lock break systems make it far superior on icy roads compared to the TJ  I also drive on mud tires. It would be better if it was on snow tires but it does fairly well as is with all the skid control stuff. I guess it depends on your expectations and what you compare it to.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »
Aha... I don't recall Michie's having all that stuff, perhaps it doesn't have that on a stick? 

The 08 is very different vehical. Larger with more toys.  :)
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline corsjeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
I just picked up a set of bridgestone winter duelers for my wife's Yukon xl today,i will let you all know how they work,they look like a awesome winter tire,we drive alot of highway so i think its important to have a good winter tire when she's out there with 4 kids,my truck on the other hand will keep it's at's for now.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 12:15:40 PM »
ATs are crap for the winter... if it gets below -10C, the tires become hard as rocks and they stop working. Winter tires are made for snow and ice... ATs are for Spring, Summer & Fall seasons...

i disagree.
i have run BFG AT's on the following vehicles that have been driven often to Lake Louise throughout the Winter. i also take the 1A highway sometimes for fun and the BFG AT's have never let me down in any snow/ice pack/temperature. i will continue to buy BFG AT's...

85 Toy pickup long box 2wd with 30x9.50 BFG AT's (with weight in box)
97 TJ 2.5 30x9.50 BFG AT's (no weight)

Currently
91 Pajero 33x10.50 BFG AT's (no weight)
97 Ram 12V ext cab long box 35x12.50 BFG AT's (no weight)

i drive with super confidence in any winter condition.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.