Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: i won the ebay auction!!!!  (Read 7977 times)

Offline Ostego

• UberWheeler
  • Full Size Jeep
Re: i won the ebay auction!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 09:48:59 AM »
Wow sweet CJ5 man!
That's some extremely good condition, baby that thing! :P
'95 ZJ: 3" Budget lift, quick-disconnects, 31x10.5 Savero MT's
'74 J20: 401, Holley Street Avenger 4 barrel, custom  camper.
'75 F100: 351M, 5" Super Lift.

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 11:15:12 AM »
Can someone please explain the process of imorting to me. I thought you couldn't import a modified vehicle to Canada?

Beautiful Jeep Tom. Remember, she's like a woman...treat her good, and she'll be good to you. I didn't see it...do you mind if I ask what you paid?
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline WagoneerXJ

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Bagon Wagon!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 11:29:50 AM »
Very nice Jeep you've got there. Comin to cranbrook eh...beware, it smells funny there! I try and stay in kimberley lol
98 XJ Sport 2 Dr, 3", 33's and Bushwacker Flat Flares
87 XJ Wagoneer 5", Dana 44, 34" Swamper TSL's
97 TJ 5.2 Magnum V8 swap, 4" and 33" MTZ's- GF's Jeep
84 Mustang GT-Built 351W 5spd
97 XJ - 3.5", 31" BFG. 370,000 KMS and counting!

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
  • You spilled my macchiato!
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »
My experience with shipping, up until this last one, has been pretty painless. I simply call AA Auto Movers  (877-744-7489 or 973-263-3750)
out of the US. They give me a price, I pay a deposit and they assign a carrier. You pay the driver the balance when the vehicle is delivered.

This last one was different for 4 reasons...

1) The Jeep was in a bit of an out of the way place to start with
2) There was only a 5 day window for them to pick up the Jeep in Colorado as the dude was moving to Illinois
3) Due to the slow down in the economy... there are less cars coming from the US into Canada so there are less carriers coming this way
4) It is a big hulk of a rig on 43's (84" tall and 88" wide)

It all added up to me having to drive down and pick it up in Butte as that is as far North as I could get the rig under those circumstances.

Under normal circumstances... delivery to Sweet Grass, MT is the way I have done it and if memory serves... all seem to have been about $0.80/loaded mile... which is impossible to beat if you pick up yourself.

As far as importation slips, trips & falls... your CJ being more than 15 years old is exempt from the federal RIV program so things get alot easier:

1) Make sure you get the right paperwork (import worksheet, bill of sale, front and back of signed over title showing no liens, fax cover sheet w/ your cell #) to the US border you plan to cross at... 3 days before crossing
2) Make sure you have copy of bank transactions, Ebay add, etc. If you don't... Canada Customs will be more than happy to tie you up for hours and re-assess the value of your purchase in order to get some extra GST dollars out of you
3) Make sure you have an intransit sticker and insurance as you are driving, not trailering accross the border

That's the border stuff... after that... out of province inspection and your off to get a plate. Much... much easier when things are older than 15 years.

Flat towing? In the summer ubet. In the winter thru mountains... I personally wouldn't do it. I towed mine back from Butte (thru mountains) after it rained/snowed and it was "interesting enough in spots" with a long box 4x4 dodge diesel and a good quality 28" goosneck trailer w/ trailer brakes of course.

Best of luck and have your ducks in a row (documents, yes sirs, no sirs) when ya get to the border  ;) 

2014 Jeep SRT
2009 Jeep XK, 5.7L, 3" lift & AEV rims
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
Can someone please explain the process of imorting to me. I thought you couldn't import a modified vehicle to Canada?

Beautiful Jeep Tom. Remember, she's like a woman...treat her good, and she'll be good to you. I didn't see it...do you mind if I ask what you paid?

15 years or older, mods allowed within reason. As long as the jeep still looks like a jeep. i had lengthy conversations with Customs and Transport Canada.
i would hesitate on bringing in a BIG jeep. Engine, tranny,etc can be anything. suspension ok. If it is a fiberglass tub...Not ok.

i will let you know the final amount when it is here...maybe :)

Kevin, i am so prepared paper wise. i too have been through the process before. But your info is excellent for anyone that has not done it. :)Thanks.

.80/mile is smokin good!!!

653miles to border x.80=522.40 to the border.

But driving it will be so much more of an adventure. Thanks Kevin!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:05:24 PM by Spinalguy »
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 01:11:23 PM »
i would hesitate on bringing in a BIG jeep. Engine, tranny,etc can be anything. suspension ok. If it is a fiberglass tub...Not ok.

A big lifted Jeep is an "unknown risk" for sure unless ya just plan to offroad it and NEVER attempt to register it to be street driven.

Having said that... I have been through the process enough to question "how risky" a lifted Jeep would be... because:

1) CDN Border... as long as you own the vehicle and there are no liens on it... they cant stop you from bringing a vehicle into Canada. The federal & provincial process thereafter can stop you from registering it though
2) Federal... RIV is just concerned with day time running lights, bumpers, seat belts, child restraints & airbag stickers on sunvisors. The guy who does the RIV inspections here in Calgary seems like a decent guy (not overzealous)... but I have never brought him a lifted Jeep either. A quick conversation with him before hand would yield a tonne of useful info.
3) Provincial... Out of province inspection... I think we all know a decent mechanic that would get us by this one

So... I question how hard it would be to get a lifted Jeep into and registered in Alberta. I think the "lifted vehicle myth" if ya dare call it that... started with the CDN border guards quizzing people on the "value" of lifted vehicles which is motivated by collecting GST... not at all realted to safety of a lifted vehicle.

Anyway... enough of my Hijack... back to your sweet new CJ  ;)
2014 Jeep SRT
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »
Congrats Tom!

The trip to Calgary will definately be an adventure at this time. I drove a tired M38-A1 with a tattered soft-top from Oregon, with no heater. It snowed/rained on the Crowsnest/number 3 highway , and my Gf had to operate the hand crank windshield wiper for a while. No power steering or brakes,cramped cabin , and stiff suspension. The GF was swearing at me for a few hours , and  was punching me on the arm for bringing her to co-drive. It was a looong drive with a top speed of 90km/hr. Thank God for the overdrive on the t-case. 5.38's and  small military tires was a PITA.

It was worth the trip!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:54:52 PM by tubby89 »
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 01:28:19 PM »
A big lifted Jeep is an "unknown risk" for sure unless ya just plan to offroad it and NEVER attempt to register it to be street driven.

Having said that... I have been through the process enough to question "how risky" a lifted Jeep would be... because:

1) CDN Border... as long as you own the vehicle and there are no liens on it... they cant stop you from bringing a vehicle into Canada. The federal & provincial process thereafter can stop you from registering it though
2) Federal... RIV is just concerned with day time running lights, bumpers, seat belts, child restraints & airbag stickers on sunvisors. The guy who does the RIV inspections here in Calgary seems like a decent guy (not overzealous)... but I have never brought him a lifted Jeep either. A quick conversation with him before hand would yield a tonne of useful info.
3) Provincial... Out of province inspection... I think we all know a decent mechanic that would get us by this one

So... I question how hard it would be to get a lifted Jeep into and registered in Alberta. I think the "lifted vehicle myth" if ya dare call it that... started with the CDN border guards quizzing people on the "value" of lifted vehicles which is motivated by collecting GST... not at all realted to safety of a lifted vehicle.

Anyway... enough of my Hijack... back to your sweet new CJ  ;)

Its good info.
i have to add this.
If you are bringing anything back that fits inside the RIV program (15 years or newer) than NO modifications are allowed. You can stuff big tires and rims but that is it. Unless, you are bringing it in as a Closed Competition vehicle which will never be street legal as Kevin suggested. Otherwise...
If you bring back a `bombed`diesel that has the gauges...nope.
If you bring back anything that is not OEM...nope (except tires).
A lifted bad arse jeep...Nope
This is to the discretion of the Border guy. If it isn't noticed, no problem.
If it is noticed, prepare to have it impounded.
i can relate stories of patients that found out the hard way.

Now, if 15+ years older, than exempt from RIV. This jeep looks like a jeep and is not big. tranny, engine, suspension, tires, etc can be altered and legal. The bottom line is the VIN matches the body and frame of the jeep you claim it to be. (again, you may get away with anything but these are the rules)

No daytime lights needed, no shoulder belts, no miles per hour changed needed, no baby seat anchors. These changes only apply to the RIV program.

Tk

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 01:30:04 PM »
Congrats Tom!

The trip to Calgary will definately be an adventure at this time. I drove a tired M38-A1 with a tattered soft-top from Oregan, with no heater. It snowed/rained on the Crowsnest/number 3 highway , and my Gf had to operate the hand crank windshield wiper for a while. No power steering or brakes,cramped cabin , and stiff suspension. The GF was swearing at me for a few hours , and  was punching me on the arm for bringing her to co-drive. It was a looong drive with a top speed of 90km/hr. Thank God for the overdrive on the t-case. 5.38's and  small military tires was a PITA.

It was worth the trip!

LOL...i asked my wife if she wanted to come for the adventure...not a chance!
i hope my drive is a tad more comfortable and warm. He did put in a new heater core...

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 02:45:34 PM »
This is to the discretion of the Border guy. If it isn't noticed, no problem. If it is noticed, prepare to have it impounded.

Interesting... I was always under the impression that they couldn't stop you from bringing it in... they could just stop you from registering it via either the federal or provincial inspections as conducted by licensed mechanics.

If the border guys are more than just tax collectors... do you know if they have received any training to help them accurately differentiate factory from aftermarket parts & accessories?

I'm not calling BS... just seems like a fairly uncertain check and balance being performed by unlikely, untrained & uncertified individuals (border agents).
2014 Jeep SRT

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »
Hmmmm, this might hamper my plans to roll back with 33's and beadlocks next summer.

Very nice Jeep Tom, hopefully you come wheel it soon. :)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »
Interesting... I was always under the impression that they couldn't stop you from bringing it in... they could just stop you from registering it via either the federal or provincial inspections as conducted by licensed mechanics.

If the border guys are more than just tax collectors... do you know if they have received any training to help them accurately differentiate factory from aftermarket parts & accessories?

I'm not calling BS... just seems like a fairly uncertain check and balance being performed by unlikely, untrained & uncertified individuals (border agents).

Kevin, it falls under Transport Canada.
If you go to www.riv.ca you will see what is allowed and not allowed if 15 years or newer.
It is not up to the border to stop you from entering with no plates but it is their responsibility to stop you from bringing an ILLEGAL vehicle in as set out by Transport Canada.
You may be forced to remove all suspension parts and limp it across the border on 4 shocks. Than you can re assemble it on the Canadian side.
Again, you may sneak it through but it is the responsibility of the border to not allow any illegal vehicle into the country. And i have no idea if they have any training. But some things are obvious...Big tire=aftermarket lift, etc.
My 97 Dodge Ram from Florida went into the 'garage' for 1 hour of CSI work. i had 35" tires but zero lift. They were probably checking for drugs?

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »
Hmmmm, this might hamper my plans to roll back with 33's and beadlocks next summer.

You will be fine as you already own the jeep. You can do whatever you want as long as it remains street legal and plated.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 04:50:49 PM »
i just want to thank bnine :)
He has coached me on several 'possibles' i was looking at over the months.
Thanks Billy.

But, this one i forgot to send him...oops :-[

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »

No problems there Fras. Just declare the value of what you purchased, pay the GST, and call it good.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(