Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Helping others!  (Read 2560 times)

Offline 03Jeeper

• Budget Lift
Helping others!
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »
As you all know, it snowed a crap load in Calgary and still is.
Today after work me and my buddy drove around helping random people that were stuck.
We went into the community I live in (Coventry Hills) and just started helping and helping, we started at 4pm and I just got back home.
It was actually a lot of fun helping out, and pretty funny to hear what the people had to say.
We helped more than 12 people (lost count), we also helped a police car that was stuck pretty good.
Everyone called us "Heroes" but we're just helping cause we wanted to aha.
Also, we got rewarded by a few people with beer  ;D
Anyways, just wanted to share my story.
 :)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: Helping others!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:26:46 PM »
always nice to help people, especially in this crap. 
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »
its always nice to hear people lending a helping hand for nothing more than a smile.  i've pushed a few cars out in my neighbourhood too.

props to ya!
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 05:34:43 AM »
The southeast didn't get anywhere near as hard - even the drifts here are much smaller.

WhiteOut and I ended up heading up to the NE for a couple hours last night, and perpetrating that whole "random acts of kindness" thing for two or three hours.

Even with two winch-equipped Jeeps there, a lot of what we did ended up being simple pushing, because so few of the cars had safe points to hook up to.

It did make me scratch my head why someone in a small front wheel drive car who doesn't have snow tires would think that they stand a chance when there's a two foot drift covering the entire street.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Puddle Jumper

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »
I am glad to hear people are going out just to help!  I was starting to think rather poorly of Calgary people.  I got stuck on the way home from work on Friday evening... About 50 cars passed me and NOBODY stopped to help.  I ended up getting myself out in the end... :)

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »
Went and pulled a buddy out on the way to get coffee pulled out another person. Also who drives the red tj or yj in saddleridge? didn't get a good look.
my 2 cents know where your tow hook is.

Dingman

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:33:10 AM »
The southeast didn't get anywhere near as hard - even the drifts here are much smaller.

WhiteOut and I ended up heading up to the NE for a couple hours last night, and perpetrating that whole "random acts of kindness" thing for two or three hours.

Even with two winch-equipped Jeeps there, a lot of what we did ended up being simple pushing, because so few of the cars had safe points to hook up to.

It did make me scratch my head why someone in a small front wheel drive car who doesn't have snow tires would think that they stand a chance when there's a two foot drift covering the entire street.

I still have to respool my winch after that last guy, I also need to figure out if there is some way to keep it from spooling all onto one spot.  I wouldnt be surprised if he gave that road another shot after we left :o

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:50:32 AM »
I still have to respool my winch after that last guy, I also need to figure out if there is some way to keep it from spooling all onto one spot.  I wouldnt be surprised if he gave that road another shot after we left :o

Yeah...that guy in the low-slung Suburban with the street tires really wanted to take a run at that street too.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline LifesGrand

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »
Well I was only able to help push out one person stuck in the snow, but my efforts were in the aid of helping our elders shovel out their walks in the neighborhood. Everywhere I turned, some poor elderly was out there dealing with more then they could handle. Must of done about 7 or so walks, but in the end, felt pretty rewarding. Hopefully Karma will remember this..
 ;)
95 ZJ v8 Ltd.

I called the number on the T.V. set & turned my gold in for cash....