Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Wood Burning Garage Stove  (Read 1744 times)

Offline BEZZ

• Budget Lift
Wood Burning Garage Stove
« on: December 18, 2009, 01:59:51 PM »
Didn't want to thread hijack so I started my own.

Who has a woodstove in  their garage?
Did you pull a permit to install it?
Does your insurance know about it?
Should your insurance know about it?

Let me know if you have experience with this.
Buy some safety glasses.
You can jackoff with a fake hand but you cant see out of a glass eye.

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
Re: Wood Burning Garage Stove
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Well you don't have to tell anyone you put it in but if she burns down your screwed.  You need a WETT certified Technician to install the furnace and venting for insurance to cover you.  The venting ain't cheap either.  Selkirk is the venting most use. 

Offline Eagle Jeeper

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 04:46:54 PM »
Its a wood stove you don't need a certified installer you just need a permit, install yourself if you are savy, and get it inspected by a WETT certified inspector.  I would also recommend telling your insurance just in case it burns down.  It might raise your insurance a little but if you don't and it burns you'll wish you did.
94 YJj7, AMC360,T176,Dana300(twin stick, Dana 44 4:56, 14 bolt FF welded 4:56, 2 1/2" susp SOA, 38/12.5/15 TSL's, warn 8274,  Custom dash

Offline i_go_commando

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
i had an old gas furnace already in my garaqge. i used the vent from it for the wood fireplace. its a whole lot better than the gas one. i put a fan in to move the air. made a big diffence. i also put cement board around the fire place after i noticed it was starting to scorch the drywall. i usualy light it the night before im gonna use the garage and get it good and hot in there. then in the moren i relight the fire and keep it warm all day. a pallet will last about 6 hours.
1973 jeep commando -amc 360, 727,203/208, waggy d 44 and amc20- soa, OBA- on hiatus
1958 fc 170 cabover quad cab 3/4 pickup.continetal engine/ 700r4/ dana 300 current project

Offline cjsteve

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »
You need to check with the city.  Red Deer city doesn't allow wood burning stoves in a garage, but Red Deer county does.  I checked with my insurance company before I installed it, and there was no increase in premiums.  I also didn't need to get it inspected.  They only wanted spec's for the stove with pic's.