Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2010 Event Calendar  (Read 5113 times)

Offline 2grand4u

• UberWheeler
2010 Event Calendar
« on: November 19, 2009, 05:40:18 PM »
i think you should have lots more open runs so if people won't to be members they can get to that point faster not over a year.
2011 ford ranger going to get some love soon

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »
this is merely our club calendar.  we (as a club) try to have a minimum of 1 club run per month.  certain better months have more of course.

members and non members are encouraged to post in the 'members' and 'open' forums for additional runs, typically there are runs going on every other weekend.

think of this as the minimum.  plus it isnt finished yet.  i deleted 5 or so runs from last year that were 'additions'.

also, i am not even the event coordinator.  i am just prepping this for the new ones with our annual runs.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:35:24 PM »
i think you should have lots more open runs so if people won't to be members they can get to that point faster not over a year.

One of the problems with  that idea are people who show up for "open" runs and choose to wheel in an irresponsible manner. That leaves the club member leading the run in the position of needing to have a "chat" with someone about putting other people in danger when that club member is attempting to enjoy a trail run.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »

gear down turbo.  its not even christmas yet; to early to be harpin bout a 'lack of runs'

i'm glad you are anxious to get out, so maybe you should focus some of that energy towards some of the other things our club does like trail projects and meetings; get a feel for what the club is actually about.  i've been to most and haven't seen ya there buddy!  your participation in such events (which will be showing up on the calendar as they get added;) ) will go MUCH farther towards membership than spinning donuts in open fields on 'open' runs.......

anywayss, hope to see you at the first meeting in the new year Ryan!
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline 2grand4u

• UberWheeler
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:12:53 PM »
i've been too one meeting and it's along drive for me just to chat but i see where your coming from. i like wheeling with the members thats why i said there needs to be more open runs, when your on a run with members you know how your wheelin with not going to get into situations with shady people.

and i think i'm a resposible wheeler i stay on the trails other then the edges in the deep snow.
2011 ford ranger going to get some love soon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:38:24 PM »
Okay...I tried to be subtle the first time, and Johhny was polite and constructive (which is appropriate for a member of the executive)...but you don't seem to be pciking up what's being laid down here. So I'm going to be direct.

I am out of the country for 45 days at a stretch, which means that I don't get a chance to contribute as much as many of the other members here. That said,  I have still managed to attend more meetings and volunteer for more work this year than you have. You made it out for the S&S trail run, but I didn't see you helping out at the event before the run.

Other than one meeting, have you managed to volunteer for a project or attend anything other than a trail run?

I think I can speak for most members here when I say that we're looking for quality members that want to make a contribution to the 4x4 community - not just people that are looking for groups to go mudding with.

If you have recently changed your habits and have become a responsible wheeler, then I congratulate you...but if you consider what I've personally seen from you on past trail runs to be "responsible" or "safe" then you have a lot to learn. Everyone is entitled to the benefit of the doubt, and nobody is expected to be born with knowledge of how to wheel.

What has set you apart is consistently ignoring the good example that has been set for you by CJA members and continually participating in actions that are detrimental to the trails we run, to our image in the wider community, and in some cases endanger the people around you.

On the last weekend that McLean was open last fall, I decided that I would no longer be a guy that was polite and held my tongue when stupid things were going on. I decided that because a young guy that I personally liked very much came very close to dying. When I see something that's wrong, I'm going to speak up...and if that makes me less popular, that's a price that I'm willing to pay. I'd rather be unpopular for the rest of my life than have to deal with the aftermath of someone being seriously injured or killed on the trail because I was too polite to speak up.

If the PM's that I've received and the conversations that I've had with other members are any indication, there are a LOT of people that feel the same way about this as I do.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:05:40 PM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
  • You spilled my macchiato!
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:32:37 AM »
Devils advocate time ???

If you want to "assess" a potential member... and you had a choice between (a) a monthly meeting with a hundred people in it, or  (b) a monthly open club run with 6 or so Jeeps... dont you think you would "learn alot more" about that potential member on an open run? Dont you think the "potential member" would learn alot more about responsible wheelin by being shown the right way by members and execs?

For the people who are EXTREMELY busy during the week and have a very small chance of making it to meetings... but do want to become members... it would be nice if participating in open club runs & trail projects (all pretty much weekends) could be recognized over and above attending meetings.  

I think that was what Ryan may have been trying to convey with his post... or perhaps I am wrong? If so... I am sure someone will let me know  ;)  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:37:20 AM by muffintop »
2014 Jeep SRT
2009 Jeep XK, 5.7L, 3" lift & AEV rims
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 12:34:08 PM »
I'm sure potential members (someone who has expressed interest at a meeting and is down on record as such) are excited and sometimes frustrated at the process, but everyone needs to realize these guidelines are being enforced with good reason.

7 out of 16 club runs are open. That's almost half and very generous. If a potential member has good reason for wanting to step outside the rules they can always PM the Trail Run Leader with an explanation and ask permission to join. There may be a cost associated with this as some of our events provide food, ect. and any non-member (including member guests)are expected to pay.

A potential member who has been to meetings and participated in trail projects is more likely to be accepted by the Trail Run Leader as the individual has already shown interest and dedication to the organization. If the Trail Run Leader has never met you, they may be hesitant to take you as their guest as they have other responsibilities as well. The potential member should not be offended if permission is not given. There may be other reasons of non-disclosure why the run is to remain members only.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »
Devils advocate time ???

If you want to "assess" a potential member... and you had a choice between (a) a monthly meeting with a hundred people in it, or  (b) a monthly open club run with 6 or so Jeeps... dont you think you would "learn alot more" about that potential member on an open run? Dont you think the "potential member" would learn alot more about responsible wheelin by being shown the right way by members and execs?

For the people who are EXTREMELY busy during the week and have a very small chance of making it to meetings... but do want to become members... it would be nice if participating in open club runs & trail projects (all pretty much weekends) could be recognized over and above attending meetings.  

I think that was what Ryan may have been trying to convey with his post... or perhaps I am wrong? If so... I am sure someone will let me know  ;)  

I agree whole-heartedly with the value of assessing a potential member on the trail. That's why attending sanctioned club trail runs is a hard and fast requirement for becoming a member. What I'm trying to say is that there more to being a member than just showing up at a run that somebody else organized and going wheeling.  If you haven't already, maybe take a look at the membership requirements in the FAQ section. This is actually an issue that we've looked at over the past year, and the CJA members have voted overwhelmingly to adopt the current requirements. The tribe has spoken  ;D

As it stands, the current requirements for membership reflect all three elements. Attending some meetings, going on some runs, and contributing time to events and trail projects. This reflects the fact that we're looking for people that are willing to contribute...not just show up when there's a club run on a Saturday that they have free.

Because of my work schedule, it took me almost a year to satisfy the membership requirements in terms of the number of meetings that I had attended. The advantage to this was that by the time I was ready to be considered for membership, a reasonable number of club members knew who I was and had wheeled with me. I also understand why that requirement is there. The meetings are the best way to get a look at what the CJA is about, what our goals are, and how we go about things.

As Rodjock said, the seven open runs currently listed on the calendar are by no means the only chances for non-members to get out. The chance exists for prospective members to be invited on a "members" run if the trail leader thinks that they're a good fit. In addition, last year there were two or three runs that ended up becoming open "club" runs when an appropriate number of members were going, got the run added to the calendar, and brought along waivers.

I don't know that we've ever met, but you sound like a very reasonable guy - so I want to make something clear. My response to 2grand4u was not based just on a request for more "open" runs, but on his track record. I'm not going to go into details or cite examples. I will simply state that his conduct in the past has demonstrated very clearly that his current goals and habits aren't compatible with being a CJA member.

For someone like Tinkerer who absolutely positively cannot make it to meetings but consistently finds a way to contribute to the community, I would not be surprised if after a year or so the executives were willing to find a way to let that person become a member. What that would be and how much bacon they would have to provide for bribes is unkown...but except for Dom  ;)  we tend to elect reasonable people to lead us.

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »
you sound like a very reasonable guy

I don't drink and I always try to think before I speak... the sum of those parts could easily be mistaken for being reasonable  ;)

The chance exists for prospective members to be invited on a "members" run if the trail leader thinks that they're a good fit.

I asked to go on a members only run and Dom was nice enough to say yes... but later that day he left me in the woods to die... so I don't think he really wanted me to come along.  Whats the moral of the story... always be worth more alive than dead... and always bring bacon.

Ok... that may be a "slight" departure from the truth... but its a much shorter & more entertaining version of what really happended  :) 
2014 Jeep SRT
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »
Devils advocate time ???

Kevin, if you bring 3 lbs of bacon to ONE meeting you have a good chance of getting in ;)

and yes Kevin, i totally agree. wheeling is the best way to view potential members.  however, simply put, we need people to come to meetings and participate, otherwise you get the same 5 people organizing runs, leading runs and quite frankly doing all the work for the club.  there is a lot of time and effort put into organizing trail rides and simply put, without more help from members/prospective members these runs just won't happen. if you're not willing to come out to meetings, organize and lead these runs, then they will become less and less; and people will then complain about the lack of trail rides.

the club needs active members/participants will to lead runs.  not just people willing to tag along on trail rides.  thats why meetings and trail projects are part of the perspective membership; simply put its to see who's committed and who's not.

we all had to jump through the membership hoops.  it took me 2 years before i joined. i knew half the members.  they knew me.  works well!

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »
I work for a fairly large corporation that has too many meetings... so I may simply have an aversion toward meetings. But having never attended a CJA meeting (mostly due to lack of time during the week) and being the reasonable guy that I am... I shall wait to form an opinion  ;) 

Kevin, if you bring 3 lbs of bacon to ONE meeting you have a good chance of getting in ;)

I'm gonna bring 6lbs and double my chances  :)
2014 Jeep SRT

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 10:31:44 PM »
m gonna bring 6lbs and double my chances  :)

Remember that membership now requires a vote by the entire CJA. Just paying the exec's bar tab and bringing bacon them might not cut it anymore. You should also bring bacon for the rank and file  ;D

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 10:35:12 PM »
I work for a fairly large corporation that has too many meetings... so I may simply have an aversion toward meetings. But having never attended a CJA meeting (mostly due to lack of time during the week) and being the reasonable guy that I am... I shall wait to form an opinion  ;)  

thats definitely the right approach!!!!  and a main reason we all jump through the membership hoops.  if its not something you want to be a part of at least you'll know before committing (and paying) only to find out its not your thing.

I'm gonna bring 6lbs and double my chances  :)

nice  8)

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
2010 Event Calendar
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 10:06:19 AM »
I asked to go on a members only run and Dom was nice enough to say yes... but later that day he left me in the woods to die... so I don't think he really wanted me to come along.  Whats the moral of the story... always be worth more alive than dead... and always bring bacon.

Ok... that may be a "slight" departure from the truth... but its a much shorter & more entertaining version of what really happended  :) 

At least with the Bacon you would have a better chance to survive if you were left to die ... That was a pretty crazy story ;D