Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: '00 Wrangler PS Box - Hydraulic line access  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Chiram000

• Baby Wheeler
'00 Wrangler PS Box - Hydraulic line access
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »
Ladies & Gents,

Picked up a new rebuilt PS box  from the parts store to replace my slightly worn one and after going through the motions I'm thinking it's going to be a hell of a time trying to get at the hydraulic line feeds on the box.  Anyone done one before and have any tips to get at these things? I think if I start dismantling the front end to get at it I might have a bit more room and access points, but im sure there's an easier way/ tool to get at the sucker.

Cheers,

Tyler

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: '00 Wrangler PS Box - Hydraulic line access
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »
in hindsight....

i would use a fluid transfer tool to remove most of the fluid from the pump reservoir

then i would disconnect the lines from the power steering pump (will still be a bit messy)

remove the power steering box and drain the lines as they come down - swap lines to new box and put it back together in reverse

when you refil the reservoir, jack up the front end and move the steering left to right filling the reservoir as you go.  after about 10 - 15 times left and right, you can start the motor and fill it and turn it again if it needs

there are things needed to pay attention to like steering wheel / pitman arm centering.

if you just drop the box, the one line to the reservoir can break the plastic connection.  if it is hard to remove that line, just cut it at the connection as there is extra line to play with.

hope this helps a little.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Chiram000

• Baby Wheeler
Re: '00 Wrangler PS Box - Hydraulic line access
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »
Sounds good. I was looking at how to access those hydraulic lines without having to remove them at the reservoir and pump. Worse comes to worse I'll just buy a new lower from the reservoir to the gear box. I'm not really overly concerned with the mess, I'll pressure wash everything clean as soon as I'm done.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Tyler