Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Tool Envy Syndrome (TES)  (Read 3094 times)

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
Tool Envy Syndrome (TES)
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:33:45 PM »
Tool Envy Syndrome (TES)

Tool Envy Syndrome (TES) is a serious condition that afflicts, in varying degrees, nearly all men who are interested in mechanical things. It is very important to recognize and deal with this condition before it becomes serious; left untreated it can lead to a far more serious condition: Inflammation of the Credit Card (ICC). TES is known to strike under the following circumstances:

Browsing the latest tool catalogs or sale flyers
Visiting stores such as Grizzly or Harbor Freight (Warning: while much less so than in earlier years, the tool department at Sears can still trigger small attacks)
Visiting the shop of a friend who has more and/or better tools than you have
Surfing the web site of someone with a well-equipped shop
Seeing a well-equipped shop in magazines such as Home Shop Machinist
Tool Envy Syndrome tends to strike young men particularly hard, due its close relationship to a similar condition: Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS). Over time, in most men, both of these conditions tend to lessen in severity. In fact, it can be shown that gradual accumulation of tools and gear over a period of years can control both conditions while minimizing the risk of Inflammation of the the Credit Card (this is known as the Mature Phase). It has also been widely observed that getting married and having children can moderate the risk; primarily, it is believed, due to counseling from a loving wife and the sobering effect of having lots more bills to pay.

Tool Envy Syndrome cannot be controlled by any known drugs (although its effects can be exaggerated by the use of alcohol). Therefore, treatment is currently limited primarily to counseling methods. The first step is admitting that you have a problem. Here are some additonal pointers:

Avoid situations that are likely to cause an attack
When visiting tool stores, leave your credit card at home (Warning: in severely afflicted individuals this can trigger emotional breakdown, fits of crying and other irrational behavior)
Meditate on the fine collection of tools that you already have; recognize that time will make it better
Find a quiet place. Visualize your ideal shop. Repeat to yourself "It is coming"
I hope you have found this information to be helpful. As a TES/GAS sufferer myself, I felt compelled to pass it on to you.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Tool Envy Syndrome (TES)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
Are you going to offically start a support group?  I'm sure others would be interested.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:05:55 PM »
Avoid situations that are likely to cause an attack

So thats why traffic at my garage has slowed down so much. An here I thought it was just because I yell at people to much for putting stuff back in the wrong place.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:51:26 PM »
I yell at people to much for putting stuff back in the wrong place.

I need to start yelling louder... or carry a bigger stick.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »
Are you going to offically start a support group?  I'm sure others would be interested.

Hello my name is Will and I am a ..........

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 06:05:32 PM »
you guys got it easy. how do you think us techs feel when tool heaven drives right to the bay door and offers the latest and greatest. ive bought xmas gifts for people off the snap-on/mac trucks...
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »
I first started using tools the first year of my apprenticeship, the snap-on dealer that hung around the back alley said I could take it now & pay for it later.  I had no idea I would spend the rest of my life paying for them.  Can you help me.........

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 07:29:58 PM »
So thats why traffic at my garage has slowed down so much. An here I thought it was just because I yell at people to much for putting stuff back in the wrong place.

I didn't know there was a designated place in your garage Bill ;)
3.9 CTD - 7000R4  NP241c SSYE, Dana 44.  9 inch, 4.10's  and 37's

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:43:26 AM »
I didn't know there was a designated place in your garage Bill ;)

Yeah, most people dont, hence all the yelling :):)

Beleive or not there is some order to the chaos of my garage............................some
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »

Beleive or not there is some order to the chaos of my garage............................some

And now just when some of us started to know where the stuff goes we will have to learn a whole new system out at the new place.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:17:21 AM by 01sahara »
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 11:08:50 PM »

I know the creepers are kept in the rafters and the shop stools in the neighbours yard  ;D :P ::)
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »
Yes tool shopping is highly addictive and wheeling stresses the need for even more tools/equipment. First you need all the basic hand tools to fix what you busted, then you upgrade to power tools and air compressors so you can make it back out wheelin faster. Then the body damage and mods start so you start looking at welders and tube benders. You get stuck one too many times and think wouldn't a winch be so handy right now...... Sound familiar to anyone? Man the jeep is the cheapest part I have...
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
I first started using tools the first year of my apprenticeship, the snap-on dealer that hung around the back alley said I could take it now & pay for it later.  I had no idea I would spend the rest of my life paying for them.  Can you help me.........

Yup. Same thing happened to me Will. The Snap-On and Mac guys can sell anything. My pay-cheques were always smaller than my bills from them. I started my apprenticeship in 93 and didn't finish paying for my stuff till 99.  The Snap-On guy said, " you're going to need this if you're going to be a mechanic"  $350 brake tool kit. Guess what I wound up using? A cheap screwdriver and a pair of pliers from Crap Tire...still have the brake kit in it's original package. It was too pretty to be used.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg