Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: YJ door locks/handles  (Read 920 times)

Offline Puddle Jumper

• Baby Wheeler
YJ door locks/handles
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
Wondering if anyone has any experience with fixing YJ door locks/handles (the inner workings). 

I am unable to unlock my jeep from the side doors!  It's really no fun having to climb in the back each time... I was able to fix the passenger side door as it just needed hooking up again from the inside but eventually it all unhooks again.  The drivers side door is another story.  The pieces bend when trying to unlock the door, so much that the key won't unlock it anymore.  It's like the key turns too far each time.

All the replacement parts that I have gotten from Crysler (Big 4) keep bending and unhooking AND they could not get in the right c clip. I have looked around for the right c clip - to no avail.

I have looked at best top and quadratec but they don't seem to have the pieces I need.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Or have any ideas of what to do?

I have contemplated trying to find two "new" doors... 

Offline Danger-m

• Stocker
Re: YJ door locks/handles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »

Hey

Had the same problem when I bought my 92 YJ.  Had to replace a C fastener, unfortunately, it just quit again.

Here is the web site I found

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/doorlock.html

Right now I'm just disabling the battery with a switch and leaving the drivers side vent window unlatched.

Let me know if you find a better solution.

Will try to fix again, bet to take the door off and have a lot of patients

Dwight

Offline Puddle Jumper

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 02:45:15 PM »
Hi Danger-m,

That's a great link, it's exactly my issue.  I have tried a lot of what he's talking about but it did give me some things to think about.  I want to try and figure out how to stop the braket from moving so far that it bends.  It does not need to move that far...too much torque.  Or maybe make a stronger braket??

I love the bit about "Try not to do it while your wife is around."  Hahaha, I am the "wife".

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »
kristen, ive had my yj for many years and am pretty much repairing the the linkage every year. the rods bend and eventually bend and flex too much for them to un-lock or lock the doors. u used a veri light litium grease on the locking mechanism and pretty much used a light hand to un-lock the doors. even worse i didnt have the doors on in summer so they only got used in the  cold winter. which put more strain on the locks and rods. you may have to watch the rods as they move and give them a bend or two in the right way. since summer is coming time to take those doors off anyways. take them apart and spend some quality time with them.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 07:23:06 PM »
I got replacement parts for my passenger door and swapped it all out and guess what...it did the exact same thing.  I ended up just disconnecting the linkage and only open it from the inside.  Oh well...putting the soft doors on during summer eases the stress of for a few months.
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline nickcoleman9

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
i fixed mine with some small angle iron and jb weld on factory rods to stiffen then and welded a washer in place of the c-clip over a year and so far so good....it worked for me your mileage may vary
NICK

Offline Puddle Jumper

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
Thanks guys!  It's good to know it's not just my jeep but ALL YJs.  LOL

Nick, that's a good idea... I'll have to try something like that.