Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Travel Trailer Batteries  (Read 2835 times)

1988 Cherokee

Travel Trailer Batteries
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:15:27 AM »
My travel trailer came with a battery, I checked it today its at 12.4Volts.

Its getting a little cold at night these days. Wondering if a 12 volt car heater would just bolt up on the battery, then wondering how long the battery would last before I need to get it recharged and if I need any kind of extra gadget hooked up inline to keep the battery from running dead or do I just hook it straight up to it.

How long would it take to recharge the battery once it does die, all I have is parking lots like canadian tire that have power, and camp sites with electricity.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Travel Trailer Batteries
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:15:04 AM »
If you have a parking lot with power or a camp site with electricity, I'd suggest just getting an inexpensive 120V heater.

I have no idea what sort of battery is on your trailer, but running an electric heater overnight may well drain it on you. Do that too often, and your battery may be on it's way out.

You could also take the money that you would spend on a heater and put it towards a thicker sleeping bag. I'm not trying to be difficult, just to suggest options that may work for you. I've slept outdoors on some rather chilly nights (-30) without the appropriate gear and been miserable...but I've also been quite comfortable in a tent at -40 because we had the right gear.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
I have noticed another gypsy floating arround town with his truck and box camper, looks like he uses a mini windmill for power.........

Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »
Most traval trailers when hooked up to the tow vechical will charge the trailer battery.  The heater will kill the battery in a short time then there will be no power till you charge it up again.  Make sure that it is disconnected from the truck or it may start taking power from your truck battery and then it wont start. Does the trailer have a propane heater?  My old one did and it made it very warm and cheep to run too.  If money is no object go and get some soral panels to keep charging the battery and get 3-4 more batt and you will have lots of power to run for most of the night.  If cash is tight as said befor go and get some more blankets/ make the sleeping area a litttle smaller. 

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:58:44 PM »
X2 on the propane!
Charging while driving is a very slow trickle charge.

Forget electricity, light the stove a little, or burn tea light candles.
Jeep
With stuff

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 06:43:10 PM »
If you light a stove open a window for fresh air or you will kill yourself from the CO2. I wouldn't suggest sleeping with the stove going.

My first camper didn't have a furnace so in the morning I would fire up all 3 burners on the stove and in about 5 min it would be warm inside.

If you are camping in a campground with heat just use an electric heater.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »
Go to http://www.rv.net/forum/ for more info than you'll ever need about all aspects of trailer camping.

Tons of info regarding everything there.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

1988 Cherokee

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 02:44:58 AM »
I insulated the windows, taped windows with some R3 from Home Depot, serves double duty by blacking out sunlight coming in and keeping my lights inside concealed from prying eyes at night. Had someone roll up on me last night, probably running my plates.

I know all to well about the carbon monoxide poisoning and the stove does heat the unit up well, I notice there is a moisture problem from the breath in the confined space of a 10 foot travel trailer. If its really cold, I will crack the window and with a little 100 hour battery fan on 2 recharable AA's, and stove on low.

The sleeping bags I snagged from Waltons for $8 are great, might go back and clear him out of his stock. They are little 1.5 pounders rated at +5C, tripled up they are super warm.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »
Propane actually has a lot of moisture in it and will cause condensation when the stove is on.

If you are running the stove while sleeping I would invest in a CO monitor. Battery opertaed ones can be had for under $40.

For blankets I would kick out some cash and get a heavy duvet. We bought a king size one for our camper for $80. You don't really NEED the cover if you can't afford it. I just kept getting caught up in it anyway.  :P

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 12:57:30 AM »
40$ is a lot of cash you know  ;)
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 01:30:40 AM »
Especially when you throw away flushes.

Dumbass.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
Buy a electric blanket if ya got access to 120v.  You will be sweating in no time.