Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Lights won't shut off  (Read 530 times)

Offline Danger-m

• Stocker
Lights won't shut off
« on: March 30, 2010, 08:35:29 PM »
The other day I was driving my 92 YJ, every time I shut it off, the head lights remained on ... I assume that these are the daytime driving lights as the tail lights were not illuminated.

When the YJ is running, it appears that the dimmer switch and Hi/Low were working, but when the motor is shut off and then the ignition turned on, the hi beam indicator light is on (even with the headlight sockets unplugged)?

Not sure what activates the day time lights and why they are on when the ignition is turn off, putting the parking brake on didn't turn the off either.

Probably could be a number of things ... any ideas where I should start

Offline AMCJeep

• Budget Lift
  • Wheel, break, fix, repeat ...
Re: Lights won't shut off
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »
You day time running light module is pooched. Just pull the plug on it and you will be OK. When you pull the plug on the DRL module you will lose your Hi beam indicator. They are the same in almost every Chrysler made from 91-02. Its a black box with a Pentastar logo on it about 3: x 2" and 1" thick. On a TJ they are on the firewall behind the valve cover. I'm not sure where they are on a YJ.

HTH
09 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Sunburst Orange
90 YJ AKA Papa Smurf"4.2, AX15, Completely unmolested
03 Ram 2500 QC, LB, 5.9 CTD

Offline Danger-m

• Stocker
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:12:56 PM »

Thanks AMC  HTH

Found the DRL hidden under the air box  ....  appears to have fixed the problem'

Tx

DHH

Offline Justink

• Budget Lift
  • '89 comanche 5'' lift, 33's
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 03:21:09 PM »
So dumb question but where would the DRL modile be located on a Cherokee?
'89 Comanche 5'' 33's, dana 44 playtoy
'91 cherokee 4.5'' 31's DD
'88 Nissan 300zx just for fun
If it seems like a good idea at the time it probably isn't!

Offline Danger-m

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »

Seems that they like to hide them ... while I was looking for mine, I did find this reply.  Also soume talk of a false bottom in the glove box?

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/daytime-running-light-module-18484/

Zip tied to one of the steering colum brackets was a small unit about the size of a packet of cigarettes but a little thicker. This had a chrysler sticker and was to be covered in heat shrink. I cut the heat shrink away and it seems to be 4 or 5 relays soldered to a small circuit board. I simply cut the power to this (orange wire) and now my lights are no longer on all the time. I supose I could put a small switch in this wire to give me option but I think I can manage to use the normal light switch to turn them on.