Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 3505 times)

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
Insurance
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
I searched, and there didn't seem to be anything for discussion that fit in the last year.  It's time to look at insurance again, and I am looking of course to save some money.  Is there any way to cut down the cost of insurance for an older rig (89 Comanche or 48 Willys) as they are driven mostly for recreation (off-road)?  Is there a different classification that some companies use, or do they just get lumped together with everything else?

I tried Canadian Direct, and they told me that if there is more than one modification, they can't insure it.  So you can lift it, or put on oversize tires, but not both.   ::)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
My buddies dad had something like classic car insurance on his 69 gtx. Dont know how to qualify, but I think you have a limited amount of miles you expect to drive it. Something like that may apply.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:47:45 PM »
Look for insurance for a "pleasure" vehicle, that is if it is not your DD and have a second insured and reg'd vehicle.  Switch insurance companies. ;)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
canadian direct wouldn't insure my TJ either, even though I had 2 other vehicles insured with them including a KJ.  thus i give them an "they suck" rating.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
We're with Wawanesa, and I just got off the phone with State Farm.  THAT quote took about 1 minute....he simply asked me who I was with, then said in order to save us both time he asked how much we were paying and for how many vehicles.  When I told him he told me to stop calling around, because they are the cheapest in Central Alberta right now.  He told me they couldn't even come close to touching Wawanesa.

Doesn't help me, but might help some of you.  :)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:52:51 PM »
well i'm with wawanesa as well, but my broker is A-Win (formerly All-Alta or something like that) and they go through Economical Mutual.  But the big sign in their offices is wawanesa.

not sure how that works but different brokers can charge differently with the same insurer.  that plus service fees and payment plan interest etc.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »
We were through Wawanesa, and nobody was close.  Last summer we changed to AXA .  For 1 motorhome with PLPD, and a car and Jeep fairly full insurance we saved $700.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 06:32:44 PM »
I'm also with TD under the Meloche Monnex section for "Professionals" 2 vehicles and the House is on there as well.
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline SilverTJ

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
If you bank with First Calgary Credit Union you can go through them, I can't remember what the insurance part is called but it is cheap!  I have my '04 TJ insured as a 'recreational vehicle' (not used for work, less than 5000 KM a year, ect.) and I pay less than $200 per year.  I checked about the mods  and they said I was covered.  I think it also helps that they have my other cars and house on the same policy.
Good luck - as a necessary evil insurance sucks!
04 TJ - custom 8 ball shift knob

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »
we were able to use td meloche, but they couldn't come close to canadian direct at the time.

anyway i always shop around and do online quotes a couple times a year to see where i'm at.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »
i use TD, maloche monnex. when i was in my accident with my jeep i wasnt sure what to expect, even though it wasnt my fault. i called them and the guy told me he would do everything in his power to help me out. i had a car rental place call me within 10 minutes, and an insurance adjuster within 20 minutes. the adjuster came out, first thing he said to me was he hates to "write-off" vehciles. after going over my jeep and its mods, he figured it was worth over 10G... so, i was happy. it wasnt written off and i got a nice cheque. they were great to dea lwith and took care of everything for me.
TD has been a little pricey for me as im still kinda new to this province and i had a few tickets. but my prices come down a lot every year so ill stick with them until the screw me over, which im sure will happen some day ::)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »
I use TD as well, easy to deal with.  They never asked what was done to the vehicles.  The rates seem pretty good if you don't have any accidents or tickets.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline Dagoose

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
I'm with Co-operators and have some pretty decent rates. They never even asked if I had any modifications.

I did look into antique insurance for my CJ but I don't qualify. It has to be 30 years or older, it needs to be mostly stock, (meaning it cannot appear to be modified), you can only drive it to shows and parades. It was only around $90 a year though.

Registering my jeep was really hard though. VIN says American Motors Jeep. Insurance says Jeep CJ-5. I had to give the registration lady a history lesson on the Jeep.

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 09:06:43 AM »
I have insurance with ING for my house and my family vehicle, they are cheapish, but the guy I go thru is a buddy from wayyy back, and he covers for me quite well.  I know I pay a bit more, but I also know I have coverage.  My jeep is thru him as well, however I have corporate insurance on that so the rates are quite high.

I would fully recommend dropping a 50$ or so gift card from the Keg (or wherever) on your agent if you dont know them.  Make them remember you and appreciate you, and they will stand up for you.
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline Marco

• UberWheeler
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 04:36:57 AM »
Mine cost 3100 a year fr my house, boat,truck ,jeep,and quad. All insured max except collision on jeep.Is that Good? i dunno lol.
locked and loaded