Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: My fuel mileage  (Read 5077 times)

1988 Cherokee

My fuel mileage
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »
88 xj, 4 door I6 4.0L 4WD
Travel Trailer is 1950 pounds, single axle. No tanks in it, one battery.

I cant understand L/100km so I use km per ltier.
I got 4.5 km per liter (10.5MPG) on a full tank 70 liters, towing a 10 foot travel trailer around in the city.
I then got 6 km per liter (14.1MPG) just filling up 10 liters at a time towing trailer around in the city.
Not heavy on the gas at all.

I worked out the math and think if I was not towing I would get around 8 to 10 km per liter (21.2MPG=9km/L) on that XJ.  (I will test this theory out when I do my first un-hook either at Walmart. Or powered campsite to do some XJ and trailer repairs)

From this I gather if i bought a cheap truck ($500 - $1000) left the trailer hooked to that and let sit for however long the city bylaw books allow and used the xj to roam about, in a year it would save me $, not to mention all the rent and utility money I would pocket.

I could use campsite, but thats $.
Could camp out in the bush, but thats more gas $ to and from.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:29:28 PM by 1988 Cherokee »

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
Re: My fuel mileage
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »
post this on
http://www.pirate4x4.com
you will get more answers to these kind of questions on there.
 ;)
be sure to add pics
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
Was there a question in there, or just facts?
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline T-BOAN

• Baby Wheeler
  • I drive a Liberty. No. I am not a woman.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »
So you live in a van down by the river? It's a Jeep dude. It's not supposed to get good mileage.
My grandma hasn't been helping me out as much as she used to

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 03:47:04 PM »
I think I saw you at Walmart when I was hanging out in the parking lot with my bag of candy  last Saturday night.... or is it the Saturday before. I loose track of time I'm having so much fun.

Is that you?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:53:57 PM by SwampSinger »

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »
You could buy a cheap truck but now you have more potential problems besides the guys on here ribbing you.  You'd now need insurance for another vehicle.  You need to move both vehicles around.  You still need a bit of fuel in both.  If you buy a cheap truck and something goes wrong, you either pitch it and lose out or fix it any pay more money.  The truck idea sounds like a bad idea in your case.

What you're thinking of doing sounds like me adding performance parts to increase mileage.  It works to convice the wife it's a good idea but it doesn't really work to save you money.

I'd deal with mpg, not km/l.  It's too confusing because no one uses km/l. 
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

1988 Cherokee

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »
lmfao nope thats not me!!!

I got some pretty good ideas on the insurance side of it, by getting antique truck insurance years 1985 or previous saves huge coin. Just need the truck to run, spend $25 on safety, $125 on insurance and $250 on truck. Then I can park it for a week or two at a time outside your house legally.   ;D      moving it not far, a block at most keeping it close to where I work, then parking it back at the same spots in a few weeks. Had a copper roll up on me last night running the tags, they cant do anything about it because I was legally parked, mind you I dont go leaving Charmin laying on the sidewalks either.

I was just bored and stated some facts.

Pirate4x4 I will have to check that out.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:15:22 PM »
Then I can park it for a week or two at a time outside your house legally.   ;D      moving it not far, a block at most keeping it close to where I work, then parking it back at the same spots in a few weeks.

please don't park outside my house; it'd bring the whole neighbourhoods property value down.  only my vehicles are allowed to do that.

just outa curiousity, if you're wrong on your time stayed in an area, and you get towed, will they allow you to still live in it at the impound? could you still drive the jeep in and out of the lot?  bet your gas mileage behind a towtruck would be marvelous.

if my bottles and empties go missing i'll be knocking on doors at the local walmart...........  ;)

sorry, what was that about fuel mileage?    stay parked = good fuel mileage..................
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
What is the law?

* Detached trailers and campers cannot be parked on city streets or alleys.
    * RV's can be parked on a street immediately adjacent to the owner's residence, for a maximum of 36 hours.  
    * RV's can be parked on front yards and driveways, for up to 24 hours.
    * Parked RV's cannot block the view of intersections, crosswalks, playgrounds or signs.
    * Parked RV's cannot obstruct the movement of other vehicles.

ACTUAL City of Calgary Bylaw:
17. (1) An owner or operator of a recreational vehicle for which the vehicle registration shows a City of Calgary address shall not park a recreational vehicle on a street in the City:
(a) except in the area of the street immediately adjoining the owner or operator’s place of residence, and
(b) for more than thirty-six (36) consecutive hours following which the owner or operator shall move the recreational vehicle to an off-street location for a period of not less than forty-eight (48) consecutive hours before the recreational vehicle may be parked again in the same area of the street immediately adjoining the owner or operator’s place of residence.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:52:47 PM by Spinalguy »
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »
But Walmart is your friend. You can legally camp in any Walmart parking lot in North America. You may have to move around a bit so as not to appear as a squatter, but i bet you could pull it off. Awnings are not allowed to be rolled out but you can unhook your jeep and leave your residence in the lot.

1988 Cherokee

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
https://www.calgaryparking.com/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=85944&folderId=139080&name=DLFE-1403.pdf
I found out that information a few days after I started roaming around. I was lucky not to get ticketed, but in my roaming I see RV's parked for weeks at a time, trailers un-hooked on city streets and back alleys. I have found a few different loop-holes in the law.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:09:46 PM by 1988 Cherokee »

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »
https://www.calgaryparking.com/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=85944&folderId=139080&name=DLFE-1403.pdf
I found out that information a few days after I started roaming around. I was lucky not to get ticketed, but in my roaming I see RV's parked for weeks at a time, trailers un-hooked on city streets and back alleys. I have found a few different loop-holes in the law.

there is a major flaw in this theory;  the OWNERS of said vehicles OWN the property they are parked beside.  did you even read the link?

your 'loophole' is simply people not making noise or calling the cops about the gypsy parked outside their house; rest assured that is not always gonna be the case.

if i see your unhooked trailer in front of my house you better hope i just call bylaw and dont' haul it to the dump. parking there will be cheap.

in short: STOP CHEATING THE LAW.  pay to live like the rest of us;  these little 'loophole' wins you see are causing heartaches and 'losses' for other people. i don't pay property tax, work on my house and take care of it so the property value can be dragged down by a damn pikey that parks his gypsy mobile inches from my nicely groomed lawn........

man cheap people squirt me off. stop bragging about it.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
The funny thing about trailer and RV laws in Calgary is that you can get away with anything UNTIL someone calls bylaw. If i call on ANY RV/trailer on ANY street in Calgary, it will be served notice. i do not have to live anywhere near the RV to report it.
Try Walmart, its free and legal. :)

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »
Yeah, but John, you park your rig on your lawn and wash it. I think that drags down the value of your neighbors houses a bit too. ;)

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 03:04:30 PM »
Yeah, but John, you park your rig on your lawn and wash it. I think that drags down the value of your neighbors houses a bit too. ;)

No, it adds fresh dirt and water to the lawn resulting in a beautiful green escape.  Walking barefoot on something like that would be like 10,000 angels kissing your feet as saunter across it.   ;)
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.