Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: fireballs/ timinng problems  (Read 529 times)

Offline turbolaser

• Winch Wench
fireballs/ timinng problems
« on: April 17, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »
ok guys i am having a problem with  a 304 amc swap in a 1984 cj7 got a new carb(edelbrock 600) on it and now we got it running sometimes and other times it blows fireballs outta the carb  we checked all the plug wires and the firing order is right we set the timing to 10 degrees btdc it kinda barely ran so we adjusted the distributor until it idled properly and sounded right but now the timing mark is way way off and at tdc it is pointing at number 8 wire on the cap 
so  my questions are
1. how do i get the rotor to line up to number one at tdc
2.on a 304  is the  vaccuum advance on the distributor full time or ported should it be hooked up on the manifold vaccuum or ported on the carb
3. why cant i see the timing mark on the balancer when its idling "smoothly"

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: fireballs/ timinng problems
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »
Setting dist to TDC.

Bring motor to top dead center(TDC) on compression stroke. Roll motor over by hand with the #1 plug out with your thumb over the hole. When you fill air rush out your are on the compression stroke. Sticking something in the hole, pen/screwdriver etc so you can see when the piston is at the top of its stroke. The pen will rise, pause then begin to drop. The point at which it pauses will be TDC. The dampner timing mark should line up with TDC. If its doesn't then you have a problem such as a slipped timing chain and you will have to address that before proceeding.

When installing the dist. because the gears are bevel cut the rotor will turn as it goes in, it may take a few tries to get it right but the important thing its that once its fully seated the rotor is pointing where its supposed. Some dist drive an oil pump off the bottom of the shaft with a slot. Cann't remember how AMC works but if it does you will have to reach down there with a long screwdriver and turn the slot to line up with where you need it. I ususally take numerous tries to get it right.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles