Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: YJ exhaust leak drove me nuts  (Read 2461 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: YJ exhaust leak drove me nuts
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 09:00:50 AM »
is this a square headlight thing then?

called my dear ole' momma last night, a TJ owner for 13 years, and she's never had an issue of exhaust comin in the lil' TJ!  it hasn't had a roof for 7 years.......

might still do the exhaust anyways. my guess is its leakin somewhere ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 02:16:58 AM »
It's not just a Jeep thing John.  I had the same problem with my Ranger when I replaced my leaky internal slave cylinder. Sound familiar? You dropped the tranny, and had to remove part of your exhaust? Did you mess up the exhaust in anyway? I bolted my Y-pipe back up after I reinstalled the tranny. I didn't align the the junction where my exhaust manifold meets the Y-pipe. Everything looked good, but I had a small leak.

Get back under that YJ and try to re-align the junction. It will take a few times and you may need to use a deadblow hammer.

HTH.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »
thanks noel. the donuts not leakin anymore ;)

to update, Al at Calgary muffler took a look today and can't find a leak.  says the exhaust is'nt that bad.  maybe a better exhaust tip pointing down, but other than that its looking ok.

he did say it smelt like i was burning rich though, and thats likely what i'm smelling. he said he could smell it when i was backing out of the garage.  wondering now if i'm just running really rich;  need to solve that......... if only i had a fancy computer  to tell me why....

Offline Grease Nipple

• Budget Lift
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 10:01:14 AM »
if only i had a fancy computer  to tell me why....

Is that a hint?

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »
thanks noel. the donuts not leakin anymore ;)

to update, Al at Calgary muffler took a look today and can't find a leak.  says the exhaust is'nt that bad.  maybe a better exhaust tip pointing down, but other than that its looking ok.

he did say it smelt like i was burning rich though, and thats likely what i'm smelling. he said he could smell it when i was backing out of the garage.  wondering now if i'm just running really rich;  need to solve that......... if only i had a fancy computer  to tell me why....

Once you  find this "fancy computer"    , and are done with it ,    I'd like some magic performed on my YJ  , it runs great um   then  , once warmed up  it runs like crap  , sounding  much like a gun fight.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 11:11:46 PM »
lol. fixed the map/throttle body (changed it to the old one), put a new coolant temp. sensor in and an o2 sensor.  donno if it made a difference though.  jeeps runnin better however! 

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 09:17:35 AM »
to update

put a 'turndown' muffler tip that sits out the rear better. most of the smell went away  ::)

sometimes the easiest route is the solution.....