Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Picked up the Rubi last night! (lots of pics)  (Read 7479 times)

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
Re: Picked up the Rubi last night! (lots of pics)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 03:23:10 PM »

grab two more lug nuts, and torque them down on either side of the wheel. real tight........... then get some big vice grips and put em on the lock nut.  if you torque the other ones down tight enough, and you get a good enough grip on the locknut it'll come right off.

at least thats the process i use for steeling a set of wheels i want with one of those on................

Johnny you always make things tougher than they need to be.  Grab a 12 point socket that is just slightly smaller than the locknut... pound that sucker on there and voila... instant key.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
Johnny you always make things tougher than they need to be.  Grab a 12 point socket that is just slightly smaller than the locknut... pound that sucker on there and voila... instant key.

20mm socket

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
Fug...that would work with the wheel locks on my car...they have some weird pattern on the outside which is kind of bolt shaped.  This particular bolt is a nice smooth cylinder around the outside, so I'm not sure how well a smaller socket would seat overtop of it.  (although I'm sure hammers can work wonders)

Found the jack, tire iron, and the long pouch thing with the rods along the side....but no key :(

Previous owner was going to Edmonton at 3ish today, as he's a truck driver, so I missed calling him (whoops)....I'll have to check tomorrow.

If someone could confirm it's the same for all Jeeps (or if they only had like....10 different patterns), then I'll see if I can pick one up at the dealership...there's one down the road from my work, nice and close (Tower Chrysler / Jeep?).  At the very least if they have a master they can remove this one and hopefully give me a new bolt (or a new locking bolt and key) for a decent price....dealerships are so expensive though.

Fog lights work, thanks Slewfoot!

...and I forgot to take a picture of the switch, I'll try to get it tonight when I get home.  I'll also try to see if it's a locker override switch.

Thanks again guys!
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 04:27:04 PM »
Fug...that would work with the wheel locks on my car...they have some weird pattern on the outside which is kind of bolt shaped.  This particular bolt is a nice smooth cylinder around the outside, so I'm not sure how well a smaller socket would seat overtop of it.  (although I'm sure hammers can work wonders)

needs to be smaller to hammer on; so the socket can dig into the bolt..............   

pretty resourceful guys.   sounds like more fun than going to the dealership.

when i had to do this the locknut that i took off had actually broke.  so nothing to hammer ;) 
oh fun times.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »
no, there is no master key.  once i needed them off and cost me $15 per tire.

go to canadian tire and buy this kit and you are good for life.

link
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 04:31:32 PM »
If someone could confirm it's the same for all Jeeps (or if they only had like....10 different patterns), then I'll see if I can pick one up at the dealership...there's one down the road from my work, nice and close (Tower Chrysler / Jeep?).  At the very least if they have a master they can remove this one and hopefully give me a new bolt (or a new locking bolt and key) for a decent price....dealerships are so expensive though.

I'll check mine when I get home this evening and post back here.
2006 Rubicon LJ (Unlimited) Mostly Stock

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
My lug nut key has five swirls so it's not gonna be any help...sorry.
2006 Rubicon LJ (Unlimited) Mostly Stock

Offline mrjeep4

• UberWheeler
  • Don't forget your Super Safety Suit
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 06:00:49 PM »
i lost my safety lug nut key a while ago ...    I took an angle grinder and ground two flats on them so a wrench fit on them to take them off
03 Rubicon 6" full traction long arm on 35's, warn 9ti winch,custon flat fenders and side rails
-----------------------------------------------------

Offline Rich99

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »
Looks real nice. Good find!
Rich.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »
i lost my safety lug nut key a while ago ...    I took an angle grinder and ground two flats on them so a wrench fit on them to take them off

That's using your head instead of using brute force. :D

Isn't that grounds for being voted out of the club? Or at least a good reason for having to pay the bar tab at the next meeting?
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
That's using your head instead of using brute force. :D

Isn't that grounds for being voted out of the club? Or at least a good reason for having to pay the bar tab at the next meeting?

Unless your wheels are Rubicon wheels in which case you have a severely damaged wheel at this point :P :P   
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
sounds like it could be a  safety bypass for the lockers ...      on a stock rubi  you can only engage the lockers when the t-case is in 4-low.  There's a hack you can do to bypass this so your lockers can work when the t-case in in 4-hi  or even 2-hi.  I did this on my rubicon  and wired in a switch  so i could  turn the "hack"  on and off.       To see if it's that   try turning your lockers on  in 4-hi  ( with the jeep not moving )  with the switch in different positions.

- If the lockers turn on in 4-hi  then it's been hacked  
- if you can't turn them on with the switch in the opposite position.. that means the switch controls the hack
- if you're lockers don't come on in 4-hi no matter what position the switch is ... then you jeep hasn't been hacked  and i don't know what the switch is  lol

Eric

Ding!  We have a winner.  I was randomly stopped at a stop light yesterday on my way home, and I checked to see if the lockers would turn on (2hi).  They did...so I turned them off, flipped the switch, and they wouldn't turn on.

One mystery solved!

My lug nut key has five swirls so it's not gonna be any help...sorry.

Thanks for trying!  I think the angle grinder trick might work the best, although, like fug said....don't want to damage the wheels!
BlackAura (Kevin)

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »
i have heard that you can stop by the dealer and they will remove it for you. not sure if this is correct or not.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
All depends on whether you've got OEM wheel locks or aftermarket wheel locks on there.

It's definitely something that you'll want to get sorted out beore the Jeep 101. Not being able to change a tire on the trail is not a good thing.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
It's definitely something that you'll want to get sorted out beore the Jeep 101. Not being able to change a tire on the trail is not a good thing.

Haha, definitely, I was thinking that myself.

I called the previous owner...he is going to get me the tow bar (I could have sworn he mentioned it, but it wasn't in the back when I picked it up from his place on Monday....turns out it was in storage at his farm, and he won't be going there for a week or two).

He thought he might have a socket key, but he wasn't sure, so I'm going to run down to Tower Chrysler shortly and see if the have one in the shop.  I just called and they said if it's an OEM one, then they should have a master key to remove it.  If not, then I'll have to go one of the other routes mentioned.

Edit:  Also, what do you guys think of running locks on the wheels?  Should I buy a set of 5, and put one on each wheel + the spare....or just put one on the spare?  I would be somewhat worried about damaging the key / lock on the trail, and not being able to change the tire.  I've never had that happen before, but...if something went wrong, that would be the worst time.

I run them on the sports car right now, which makes sense, but, I'm not really sure if they'd be required on the Jeep.  Although I will be parking the Jeep outside pretty much all the time...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 01:51:35 PM by BlackAura »
BlackAura (Kevin)