Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Picked up the Rubi last night! (lots of pics)  (Read 7477 times)

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
Picked up the Rubi last night! (lots of pics)
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
So exciting! :D

Here are some pictures from this morning.

I'm guessing the factory front tow hooks are good, and the picture of the loop on the back is the factory rear tow hook?

Not sure what your guys thoughts are on the tread on the tires, will I be good to offroad on them?  If not I have to find tires quick, or cancel out of the 101 course :(

I believe the order of pictures is driver side front, driver side rear, passenger side rear, passenger side front.  It's odd, both the driver's side tires seem to have a bit more meat on them than the passenger side...not sure if that signifies possible problems, or just weird tread wear.  I have been told that one of the front tires may have the tread separating so I plan on getting new tires asap.

I don't think anyone had taken the spare tire cover off recently (dirty)....and it turns out there's a wheel lock nut on it, and I didn't get a key to remove it.  I'm calling the previous owner shortly to see if he got one, and if not I guess I'll have to take it to a dealership and hopefully it's an OEM lock, and they have master keys to remove it.

I also have no idea how to turn on or test the fog lights, I remember seeing something about that on the Jeep Forum, so I'll test them later today.

I didn't take a picture, but I have a switch (just a stainless steel flip switch) coming out of the dash next to the axle lock switch and the windshield wiper switch.  In the manual it says there could be a passenger airbag disabling switch there, but it's normally controlled by the key.  Is there a chance someone replaced the old key-style switch with a toggle switch?  Or does it control something else?

She also came with a CB radio, but I have no idea how to work it yet...I might get a chance to tinker with it tonight.

BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: Picked up the Rubi last night! (lots of pics)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
Those MTR's will last you about 200,000kms 8). i am sure they are fine for 101.
Towhooks are perfect.
You are all set.
Nice find.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »
Congrats.

That wheel isnt missing lugnuts is? Hoefully thats just the angle of the pic?
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline mrjeep4

• UberWheeler
  • Don't forget your Super Safety Suit
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »
I didn't take a picture, but I have a switch (just a stainless steel flip switch) coming out of the dash next to the axle lock switch and the windshield wiper switch.

sounds like it could be a  safety bypass for the lockers ...      on a stock rubi  you can only engage the lockers when the t-case is in 4-low.  There's a hack you can do to bypass this so your lockers can work when the t-case in in 4-hi  or even 2-hi.  I did this on my rubicon  and wired in a switch  so i could  turn the "hack"  on and off.       To see if it's that   try turning your lockers on  in 4-hi  ( with the jeep not moving )  with the switch in different positions.

- If the lockers turn on in 4-hi  then it's been hacked  
- if you can't turn them on with the switch in the opposite position.. that means the switch controls the hack
- if you're lockers don't come on in 4-hi no matter what position the switch is ... then you jeep hasn't been hacked  and i don't know what the switch is  lol

Eric
03 Rubicon 6" full traction long arm on 35's, warn 9ti winch,custon flat fenders and side rails
-----------------------------------------------------

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
Congrats.

good eye, i think it is missing lugnuts. 8-)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »
the wheel is the spare people!  ;)

Offline mrjeep4

• UberWheeler
  • Don't forget your Super Safety Suit
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:58:50 PM »
pretty sure it's the spare too
03 Rubicon 6" full traction long arm on 35's, warn 9ti winch,custon flat fenders and side rails
-----------------------------------------------------

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »
the wheel is the spare people!  ;)

lol - pook ftw...I had to look closely to see the bumper behind the bottom of the tire.

Congrats on the find!!!
2006 Rubicon LJ (Unlimited) Mostly Stock

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »
Thanks guys!

Anyone know if that's the OEM style of wheel lock nut, (i.e. can I find a master key that can remove it?), or am I going to have fun trying to take it off?
BlackAura (Kevin)

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 02:19:15 PM »
Congrats.

Must be Tuesday.  :D

Looks like OEM Style....come to the jeep meeting, i'm sure someone will have one with the same pattern.

btw, nice clean Jeep,  looking at yours, I miss my stock jeep.  :'(
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »
Thanks guys!

Anyone know if that's the OEM style of wheel lock nut, (i.e. can I find a master key that can remove it?), or am I going to have fun trying to take it off?

It looks similiar to mine...but thats strictly from memory 'cause my jeep's not with me and I can't check it until tonight.  Did you check under the passenger seat with the jack?  Glove compartment?  Console? (just stabbing in the dark)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
Thanks guys!

grab two more lug nuts, and torque them down on either side of the wheel. real tight........... then get some big vice grips and put em on the lock nut.  if you torque the other ones down tight enough, and you get a good enough grip on the locknut it'll come right off.

at least thats the process i use for steeling a set of wheels i want with one of those on................
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »

grab two more lug nuts, and torque them down on either side of the wheel. real tight........... then get some big vice grips and put em on the lock nut.  if you torque the other ones down tight enough, and you get a good enough grip on the locknut it'll come right off.

at least thats the process i use for steeling a set of wheels i want with one of those on................

:o

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »
I also have no idea how to turn on or test the fog lights, I remember seeing something about that on the Jeep Forum, so I'll test them later today.

Fog light switch - on an '06 Rubi, it's on the signal light arm with the headlight switch - with running lights on, pull out on the swotch - push in to turn them off.

I didn't take a picture, but I have a switch (just a stainless steel flip switch) coming out of the dash next to the axle lock switch and the windshield wiper switch.

Does this switch look factory?  If not, perhaps it controlled whatever was on the mounts below the front bumper.  Perhaps it's for a rear window de-foger? (I have three switches ther - rear wiper, rear defog andlockers.  I also have a blank spot that would control the Overdrive with an auto transmission.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:41:10 PM by Slewfoot »

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »
Great idea to check the jack stuff, Slewfoot, there's a good chance it's in there!  I checked the glove box and center console, he totally cleaned everything out, so definitely not in there (just the manual in the glove box).

Fog light switch - on an '06 Rubi, it's on the signal light arm with the headlight switch - with running lights on, pull out on the swotch - push in to turn them off.

Sweet, I will try this, thanks!

Does this switch look factory?  If not, perhaps it controlled whatever was on the mounts below the front bumper.  Perhaps it's for a rear window de-foger? (I have three switches ther - rear wiper, rear defog andlockers.  I also have a blank spot that would control the Overdrive with an auto transmission.

Definitely not factory, I'll snap a shot of it.  I have the rear window defogger, wiper, and locker switches as well.

The mounts below the front bumper were apparently for a tow bar, which unfortunately didn't come with the Jeep :/
(not that I have a reason to tow it, but nice to have the accessory for the future, or if I end up selling it)
BlackAura (Kevin)