Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: bolts on rear leaf spring  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
bolts on rear leaf spring
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:39:17 AM »
I will be finally changing out the rear springs on the xj and I am wondering a little if I should change out the bolts too(at the body and shackle)?
I have some newer stronger ubolts to go in too.
or is it more of a how they come out kind of thing?

cheers
steve
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: bolts on rear leaf spring
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:55:26 AM »
they are an absolute pain to get out, get under there a few days in advance and spray them with wd-40 and do this for a couple of days. if not you will either snap a bolt or break the weld that holds the nut to the frame and then you have to cut your "frame" to get access to the nut. this is really not a fun job but sometimes you get lucky, be prepaird to replace everything and possibly cut and weld your "frame".

oh and good luck! ;)

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »
I will be finally changing out the rear springs on the xj and I am wondering a little if I should change out the bolts too(at the body and shackle)?
I have some newer stronger ubolts to go in too.
or is it more of a how they come out kind of thing?

cheers
steve

Steve,... First, toss some salt over your shoulder, touch some wood and rub your lucky rabbit foot. after you can start working ... heat the bolts till one side go glowing red, move to the other side of the Jeep and do the same... do that about 2 or 3 times and try to unscrew them while it's glowing red. Be gentle if you use a breaker bar. They should come out without breaking inside the frame.

Please make sure you have a fire extinguisher close just in case something happens...

when you change your leaf pack, use new bolts and "anti-seize" the crap out of them.

as for the U bolts... cut them and throw them away.....never reuse the old ones because they have been stretched. I know some people do... I would not cheap out (I know you won't b/c you have new ones)

Good Luck bud

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
Your are going to hate doing this job guy. Toss the u-bolts and get new ones from Standens. The shackle end isn't so bad. You may find that the bolt at the front of the spring that goes into the "frame" is going to be a PITA. The bolt sometimes(meaning mostly) seizes to the steel insert in the bushing. It may turn, but not want to come out due to  rust. Soak your bolts for a few days with a quality penetrant like PB Blaster. You may have to cut the floor and go through the top with a breaker bar and persuade it out; while somebody is hitting it with an impact gun. Another choice is to get a sawzall and cut the bolt. A piece will still remain in the "frame" that you will have to get out.

The front bolt is a bit of an odd duck. It's a m14x2.0x120mm.

Good luck and keep the swearing to a minimum!
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »
I do have the new u-bolts for the axle so that is ok
I just didn't know about the body and shackle ones.
I will give them a good soaking for a few days and hopefully that will help it out some.

the heat thing may work if it does not come out well.
hopefully I don't have to cut into anything and reweld stuff.

that would suck.

thanks
all.
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(