Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Skyjacker or Rubicon express?  (Read 3663 times)

535i

Skyjacker or Rubicon express?
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:04:33 PM »
3" skyjacker or 3.5" Rubicon express for XJ? looking for insight and recommendations.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: Skyjacker or Rubicon express?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:16:57 AM »
Quote from: "535i"
3" skyjacker or 3.5" Rubicon express for XJ? looking for insight and recommendations.

I've been running Skyjacker 3" and (1.75") spacer for about one and a half year now on my 99 XJ (I have the 3" leaf springs and the 2" shackle in the rear). It's a soft suspention. I love it!!! It makes it a smooth ride. Your kidney will thank you  :D . I don't know much about the Rubicon lift.. I can't help you on that one. One thing... don't buy Rancho 5000... they are horrible!

What size of tire will (or are) you be using? If you're going bigger than 31" 10.5" tires you might have to think bigger (6" Skyjacker or 5.5 Rubicon express) or (and) get some cut off flairs... I have 33" 12.5 tires and Bushwalker cutoff fender flairs and I rub a bit when I flex. It might be because I don't have long enough bump stop but.... never the less.. I'm going with the Skyjacker 6" in the Spring.

I hope that helps a bit....

Cheers,

Luxton

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 08:09:46 AM »
I absolutely love my rubicon express 3.5 (RE6030)... it was a little stiff, but just did my first run with it on the 11th and it's softened up (anything is going to soften after 8 hours of 3 - 6" rock @ 20 - 30 km/h :)).  it's a wicked ride now, couldn't be happier.

535i

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 03:08:50 PM »
so both sound good sans the RS500's.
   I was going to run a 31"... will they rub with factory rims?

Luxton

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 03:12:52 PM »
I've been told they will at full lock... should be able to tell ya for sure in a couple weeks when my 31 Trxus MTs come in tho...

535i

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 04:23:39 PM »
do you have the steel or 5 spoke aluminum?

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »
Quote from: "535i"
do you have the steel or 5 spoke aluminum?

My old 31" rubbed with the 3" lift. I got  some cheap Steel rims and it did the trick for me. No more rubbing when I turned...

Offline kevman

• Budget Lift
    • http://members.shaw.ca/thekevman
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 12:16:12 AM »
I dont have an XJ but I've got RE springs in my ZJ and I'm assuming they've got the springs rates adjusted for each accordingly...Anyways the ride was defiantly stiffer than stock but not quite as stiff as stock TJ springs.

One suggestion I will make (other might disagree...) is adjustable shocks if you're concerned about the ride.  I have Pro-Comp MX6's on all 4 corners, and while they were slightly more ($110each I think) I defiantly think they were worth it.  On the softest setting I can get a floatly Cadillac ride but when I set them firm it almost feels like a car (body roll wise) ok maybe a bit of an exageration but you can defiantly notice the difference.  You can also fine tune front to back for extra weight/preference etc.

As for that price, you can spend $2000 on a DH fork for a bike...$450 didn't seem bad to me at all...
uh...
My shovels nicer!

535i

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 07:46:26 AM »
Good call on the DH front shock for MTB  :D
  the kit from the shop comes with the "RS5000's" from RANCHO. Any Good?

Offline Impact

• Budget Lift
Skyjacker vs RE
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 09:46:34 PM »
Hi,
I would definatly suggest going with a 4.5" lift kit with new springs in the rear for your xj. I was told by some people that you need a SYE and CV when lifting over 3". I bought a 4.5" Rusty's Offroad lift kit with new springs in the rear in 2004 and am very satisfied and I just used their t-case drop kit(NO SYE or CV) and I have had no problems with rear u-joints or vibrations. I have a friend who bought a RE 4.5" kit and he also loves it and has no vibs. I would suggest that you get the new spring pack because if I got an add-leaf then I would have been screwed because I ended up having to take a torch and cut something due to extreme rust!!!
I currently run 31" tires with 8" eagle alloy rims and I some times get the odd(full flex)close to tire fender contact. I plan on getting some cut out flares and buying some 33" with 10" rims.
I suggest that you go with a 4.5". Nice clearance when running 31's.

George
05 TJ Sport - Stock  :(
92 XJ Sport - 4.5" Rusty's Offroad, 31's, eagle alloys, pumpin' stereo  :twisted:
12 Crush JKU Sport
05 Orange TJ Sport-2" BB, 1.25" BL... (1 tons, 39's... Who the fawk really knows!)
92 Red Cherokee Sport-4.5" Rustys Lift, 33's KM2's, Eagle Rims(405k's n still tikkin...) Sold :(

535i

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 08:00:54 PM »
Yeah I've heard you need a SYE with the 4.5 as well, the cost to lift that extra 1" raises the all round cost by about 1200-1500... might as well go BIG then..... :shock: