Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Up side down steering wheel  (Read 2080 times)

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Up side down steering wheel
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:15:56 PM »
I came home from the run on Sunday with the steering wheel upside down, a result of a deep rut. The jeep drove fine but the steering wheel was about 160 degrees out from true. Had it in and looked at this week and it turns out I bent the front Trac-Bar. The front axel was moved over to one side 2-3” and that is what caused the steering wheel to be turned. New Trac-Bar and aliment now it drives great. Just thought I would share the cause of the problem.

Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 08:41:27 AM »
Ouch Blair, what did that cost? I have two stock track bars in my garage.

Now I'll share :D

Next time you bang up stock parts like that, look here and one of us should be able to help you out :wink:

At least you're fixed up.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Ouch
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 11:49:06 AM »
I wish I had the time yesterday to look for a used Trac-Bar or to have gotten a better aftermarket one but I needed the jeep back that day. So I went with the part they had available. It is my work vehicle so I need it back on the road ASAP. Next time I break something I hope I can adjust my schedule to use the wife’s wheels but it did not work yesterday.

Broken stuff is just part of the cost of this hobby. I still think if you are going to put a wheel upside down the steering wheel is probably the least expensive. It drove off the trail ok and its still shinny with no dents. If I break the same part again I will upgrade to a heavier duty one.  Has anyone else ever bent the stock trac-bar running 31” tires?

The cost of the repair just delays the purchase of the winch for another month or so.

Hope to see you at the meeting.
Blair

PS

WARNING TO ANY NEW JEEP OWNERS.

Driving off road is an addictive habit once you start you can’t stop. It is worth every penny you spend and a total blast. I am hooked. But no one should expect it to be free. If you drive them off road things will break just accept it as part of the hobby.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »
Yeah, I've bent them before Blair. Tire, they bend when they want to regardless.

If you are flexing hard on some stuff, its just a matter of time. Like stock steering.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Broken?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 03:35:35 PM »
Quote from: "bnine"
Yeah,
If you are flexing hard on some stuff, its just a matter of time. Like stock steering.

What part of the steering is the weak link and breaks most often? Any opinions?  just so I know what to expect.

Thanks,
Blair

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »
Not so much that it breaks, although its all pretty light duty. Its more common that the tie rod bends.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 05:45:55 PM »
Hmmm... bent rim and now a bent track bar... Grasshopper, you must learn to crawl before you can run  :lol:  :wink:

Yah, going off-road just beats up your ride, all our rides seem to have scuffs, scratches, small and large dents, and replacement/repaired parts for the ones that broke.  Doesn't make alot of sense; that BMW 325is is starting to make more sense  :wink:
near stock advocate

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 07:10:40 AM »
I'd rather dent an scratch then pay 7 grand a year for insurance due to tickets.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]