Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Improve Gas MPG...?  (Read 35805 times)

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
Re: Improve Gas MPG...?
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2010, 10:22:18 AM »
I explained to you over and over why your modern tech, unrelated exapmles were not valid in this discussion.

Everything from engine design, to aerodymanics and drivetrain loses. The fact that you are to stuck in your own head to understand common sense is not my problem.

I even gave you an example of a a member of this club that run a supercharger and what his results were. I also gave you a club members name of a guy who worked on said supercharger.

So dont get pissy with me because I debunked your bullshit speculation and unrelated tech with actual experience and facts.

Get over it.

I asked you pointedly, did you ever build up an engine that was tune to maximize fuel economy. 

You did not answer that.  If you didnt ever build an engine that was tuned to maximize fuel economy then you are only speculating, which means you didnt "debunk" anything.  I have heard about your actual experience, sounds like you have a masters at throwing wrenches and temper tantrums.
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »
I asked you pointedly, did you ever build up an engine that was tune to maximize fuel economy. 

You did not answer that.  If you didnt ever build an engine that was tuned to maximize fuel economy then you are only speculating, which means you didnt "debunk" anything.  I have heard about your actual experience, sounds like you have a masters at throwing wrenches and temper tantrums.

Why dont you stop by and I'll show you how accurate I am with those wrenches. Dont start slinging personal dirt buddy. Thats bullshit.

I have done all the modifications on a 4 litre that are both performance and efficiency related except turbo and SC. But I do know people with both.

Only an idiot would spend the money and time building a 4 litre specifically for the purpose of maximized fuel economy.

As explained previously, it doesnt pay.

I run the most efficient jeep straight 6 on this board. Bar none. Aluminum head, rollerized, long rod stroker, header work, intake, piggy back programmed, high compression, premium fuel, hot spark pluges, low range cam, large throttle body, custom intake system.

Its definately an efficient motor, and there is little else you would do to maximize efficiency on a straight 6. But only an absolute idiot would build a motor like that for a couple miles to the gallon.

Just like someone that continually argues the merits of fuel effiency in jeeps after bolting a 100lb tire carrier on their rig and blowing past people on the hiway at a buck 25.

So seriously, pick your fights somewhere else. Your hypocritical bullshit is getting really old.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2010, 11:51:52 AM »

Its pretty bad when we have a 6 pag discussion on how to save $4.00 on your next fill up...wanna save money...take the fcking bus to work and use the jeep for wheeling...or buy a Honda CRV ,its more aerodynamic..and tuned for efficiency..have fun wheeling it too, dont spill moms groceries though.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »
Using Jeep and better gas mileage in the same sentence is ridiculous. ::)
Adding anything aftermarket to improve cost savings to maybe 2-4mpg is negated by adding aftermarket bumpers, winch and plate, tire carrier, bigger tires, body armor, underarmor, etc.

To the OP, there is nothing that can be done to magically make your jeep fuel efficient. Nothing.

i know of people that RENT cars to go on long trips instead of driving the jeep. That is a cost savings option.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »
I realize this is an old thread, but had anyone tried a fast back soft or hard top and had any success with improved milage? Someone mentioned how milage was so poor cuz the back of the jeep was so square...I've seen some pics of fast back soft tops and really liked them, but wouldn't be worth the cost of there was no gain
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
If you are concerned about your gas mileage, get something else....seriously.... honestly...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2011, 09:37:46 PM »
I realize this is an old thread, but had anyone tried a fast back soft or hard top and had any success with improved milage? Someone mentioned how milage was so poor cuz the back of the jeep was so square...I've seen some pics of fast back soft tops and really liked them, but wouldn't be worth the cost of there was no gain

Ignore these guys, If I were you I would go to http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ and ask them.

Dingman

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:07 PM »
I'd love to read that one on Pirate...  ::)

Offline silverfox

• That CB Yapper
  • drawrof og nac enoyna
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »
Damn this was a 3 beer thread.....and go figure I actually learned something.

But I dun fergott it after the 3rd beer
2018 JLU Lifted on 37's

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »
Also running huge tires makes your mpg go down same with running too small of tires, what kind of jeep you got? the 1997-2006 tj's should be running 33's cause once the tires start to build momentum it actually pulls you forward resulting in you using less gas.

Dingman
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:46:36 PM by .:.Dingman.:. »

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2011, 11:22:49 PM »
I was glued to this thread too! Alas no beer! I'm not concerned about gas milage, but if I'm going to do something that I don't really need to do, like someone said, helps convince the wife!
Dngman, I cant tell if youre serious about the 33s...? The logic is there but I don't have enough mechanical knowledge to substantiate it
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2011, 11:25:15 PM »
No, hes just having a go at ya :)

I gave up trying to get gas mileage long ago, once I realized I drive a box on wheels. :o

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »
No, hes just having a go at ya :)

I gave up trying to get gas mileage long ago, once I realized I drive a box on wheels. :o

It's a BRICK, yo. Just ask all my thugs.... they call it a brick-on-wheels.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2011, 12:07:59 AM »
I started this thread, glad we all got so much out of it...!!!   I did improve the mileage on my TJ....  better air intake, better spark plugs,   not a lot but it did push me over the 450k per tank compared to the 380 or so I got on the first trip down the I-15.     Thanks for the entertainment......   by the way... love my brick on wheels.... lol    8)
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims
HD Broadcast Video Production Unit

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »
Figured he was joking! I learned to take every thing said on here with a grain of salt!
No one answered the fast back question....?