Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: august long ??  (Read 9346 times)

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
Re: august long ??
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 11:17:17 AM »
I'm in. See everyone there.
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »
Oh yeah, just forgot that I am working Friday night until 8am, so I may not be able to get there until just before 9 am. I don't know the area that well but could probably find people on the trails.
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »
we dont usaully get rolling till 9 anyways . just cuz its nice to just catch up a bit

so for those who are coming
bring food for the day
make sure your dressed for wheeling and we do live in alberta so good chance itll snow
good tires no bald tires and everyone needs there own spare
recouvery gear is a must
plenty of windshield washer fluid
full tank of gas

and we should be able to make a nice day out of this
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »
excellent. I will meet everyone at the store  ;D

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »
Don't forget tow points!

On that note though, I don't have any recovery gear yet.  I was checking out the recovery straps at Princess Auto the other day.  Is the 3" good?

Max. vehicle weight: 13,500 lb
Breaking strength: 27,000 lb

If not, I'm sure the 4" would be fine:

Max. vehicle weight: 17,500 lb
Breaking strength: 35,000 lb

....and is there anything else I need, or should I be fine to borrow the other stuff?

I'll see if I can pick up some thick gloves as well....are "welders gloves" okay?  I think on the 101 they said any thick leather gloves.  That was more for winching though.
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline Rubibago

• Baby Wheeler
  • Jack Stands......saving trails everyday.
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 09:13:05 AM »
Don't forget tow points!

On that note though, I don't have any recovery gear yet.  I was checking out the recovery straps at Princess Auto the other day.  Is the 3" good?

If not, I'm sure the 4" would be fine:

....and is there anything else I need, or should I be fine to borrow the other stuff?

I'll see if I can pick up some thick gloves as well....are "welders gloves" okay?  I think on the 101 they said any thick leather gloves.  That was more for winching though.

Kev!! Stop being an engineer!!  ;-p
I have a 3" for my fat a** unlimited and it has worked just fine (been yanked out a couple of times, like every run).
A good pair of leather work gloves should be fine, something that will stop your hands from being cut to ribbons from a winch rope (or to fend of an attack from a particularly vicious squirrel).

Shouldn't cost you more that $75 for everything at Princess Auto.
'98 TJ Sahara (Sorta)
'09 Rubibago

O|||||||O

Pain Killers, not just for fun anymore.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 10:37:06 AM »
Modern Motors actually carries a pretty good assortment of basic recovery goodies at reasonable prices, or you can order from Northridge if you like shiny stuff  ;)

What you need:
1 or 2 3/4" shackles
1 tow strap, no metal hooks on it - you want soft loops at both ends. 20 feet is fine, 30 feet is better (4 inch is overkill)
1 pair of good quality leather gloves. Welder's gloves are probably overkill - work gloves will be just fine.
1 bag to put it all in

What you will NEED if you have a winch:
1 tree saver
1 more 3/4'' shackle

What you will want as soon as you figure out how useful they are if you have a winch
1 snatch block
1 dirty old (heavy) blanket to use as a winch line weight
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 06:17:45 PM »
3 inch will be more then fine ..

and yes tow points front and rear very important ..

the funny thing about leather gloves     this can be looked at in different ways

my winch is to slow to very need gloves   and if you have one of those m8274 winches i think i would rather have no glove on so if there is a fray it just cuts me instead of catching the glove and pulling my hand in

but thats just because i worked on the rigs and have seen lots of accidents caused by so called PPE     
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »
One thing to consider and I do it all the time. Don't even run your winch unless the person spooling the cable on is at least 5', minimum 3' back from the front of the vehicle and I can see their hands. When I loose sight of their hands I simply quit winching. Leather gloves are over rated sometimes. Don't let the cable or rope slide through your hands, but walk the cable along gripping down gently each step so you can feel a burr before you clap down on it. Works for me anyway. ;)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
Or just run synthetic line  ;)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline loreleir

• Stocker
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 10:28:30 PM »
I'm in.  See you on Saturday.
'10 Mango Tango Rubicon Unlimited

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 12:03:54 AM »
oh and hopefully most of us have CBs    always a good thing to have ..

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 02:05:11 AM »
plenty of windshield washer fluid

Is this going to be a mostly mud bog type day?
Jeep
With stuff

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »
considering how much it has rained.... bet on it Serge.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »
the mud is going to be there .. its your choice to drive around it or through it

ill be doing my best to stay somewhere clean but we all know that can change fast