Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: pick and pull today  (Read 6765 times)

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
Re: pick and pull today
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »
The MVC truss/skid doesn't really attach to the pumpkin in any significant manner, aside from a metal loop around the pinion section to hold the front of the skid up. No, the truss basically just ties the tubes together to inhibit any flex that may be caused by the aluminum chunk. I think you're right that there does exist a truss that bolts to the center, but I haven't seen anyone using that particular model as I believe it was quite a bit more $$ than the MVC unit. There's a number of guys on Jeepforum running the MVC with no breakage issues, CLNinja in particular has one on his D44a with 4.56's and 35" tires and he's beat on the thing hard with zero problems.
Jeep of Theseus

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
show me a pic of the front and side and i can make you one in no time at work...
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
http://www.novajeepers.com/index.php?name=NewForums&file=viewtopic&p=305518

Pics of rear & front with the two extra triangle pieces added to the MVC design to improve the skid section. Shoot me a PM and we'll sort out the details!
Jeep of Theseus

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 01:51:10 PM »
pm sent
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »
Apeman continues to be an all-around awesome guy!
Jeep of Theseus

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »
Are you also going to truss it on the bottom of the diff? Would be much better for ground clearance if you can work it out on top...
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »
Are you also going to truss it on the bottom of the diff? Would be much better for ground clearance if you can work it out on top...

Yeah, bottom truss makes the most sense for a couple reasons, namely that 1) it's a truss/skid combination to protect the aluminum chunk and tying a bottom skid onto a top truss would be difficult if you can't weld to the chunk, and 2) the axle breather tube port is on the top of the passenger axle tube, so I'd have to figure out where to relocate that to, as well as fill in the hole.

So, yeah, a top truss would be ideal but the D44a makes that...challenging.
Jeep of Theseus

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
Yeah, bottom truss makes the most sense for a couple reasons, namely that 1) it's a truss/skid combination to protect the aluminum chunk and tying a bottom skid onto a top truss would be difficult if you can't weld to the chunk, and 2) the axle breather tube port is on the top of the passenger axle tube, so I'd have to figure out where to relocate that to, as well as fill in the hole.

So, yeah, a top truss would be ideal but the D44a makes that...challenging.

Right, good to know. GL with the build!
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it