Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Is there such a thing...  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
Is there such a thing...
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:52:56 PM »
As a post office box or mailing address in Montana that will either; A) hold for pickup, or B) forward to a Canadian address?

Seems the border is getting tighter lately for "certain" items.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
Re: Is there such a thing...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:35:35 PM »
As a post office box or mailing address in Montana that will either; A) hold for pickup, or B) forward to a Canadian address?

I think that "iamgary" on the Edmonton Jeep Community may have some knowledge about this....if I remember correctly.  Ontario border, but it was still jeep parts and across the border.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »
I'm trying to ship something other than Jeep parts. More like parts that relate to things going bang.

US Border service visited one of my favorite manufacturer's down south, and basically, prohibited them from shipping across the border. But, anyone else can ship across the border, just not the manufacturer. Something to do with Durka's buying stuff from the US, and shipping it to Farkistan.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
https://shopquestar.com/shopping65/shopcontent.asp?type=Aboutus
These guys started out in busuness doing this and have expanded to regular sales . There is also a guy in cranbrook who does this but I lost his contact info.
Went to a faverite store in Coutts regularily till 9,11 happenened and all the laws changed  :'(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:05:17 PM by morerpmfred »

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:02:18 AM »
I heard about a guy who would ship stuff with UPS to a UPS location south of the border, drive across, pick it up, and drive it back.  I'm not exactly sure how it worked, but he basically saved on the horrible custom/duty/brokerage fees UPS would charge.  You may be able to do this with your items.  I think after 5 days though, they ship it back (or you have to pay for them to store it possibly?).

Good luck!
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
I have also heard the same thing and have a buddy who has done that. . .seemed to work well for him.
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »

Montana Shipping outlet .com will receive your package for $3.00. They charge a few extra dollars for what ever they classify as being oversized. Check out their web.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
There are huge consequences at the border for importing and exporting and being in possesion of on both sides of the border regarding things that go bang without all the export and import permits in place. Pm me if you want details on what you can do legally at the border.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:58:02 PM by morerpmfred »

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 06:49:47 PM »
Pm me if you want details on what you can do at the border.

PLease...  :o   keep this discussion about things that go bang on PMs

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 09:44:58 PM »
Discussing things go bang on a public board is fine. (in my opinion, at least.)

Discussing a non-legal way around the US State department restrictions around exporting something that goes "bang" or a part thereof is just plain stoopid.

Attempting to drive across the border with a "bang" part or accessory that the US State Department has not issued an export license for is beyond stoopid. You are risking losing you right to enter the US and your vehicle...and understand that US Customs has police powers that are essentially unrestricted if you are within 50 miles or so of the border....which means that they can do some things way outside what Canada Customs would do.

Shipping Jeep stuff to a Montana address to avoid UPS brokerage and then trying to get out of paying GST at the border is one thing. Gun parts and accessories are a whole different animal.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline BlackAura

• Budget Lift
  • 2003 TJ Rubicon (Stock)
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »
get out of paying GST at the border is one thing. Gun parts and accessories are a whole different animal.

Personally I'm quite happy to pay the GST, and will claim the parts that I'm bringing back at the border on the way home from my trip to Seattle in a week.

I just hate the prices UPS charges for brokerage fees...after the dollar had somewhat recovered from not being worth much (compared to the USD), and before the economy had adjusted prices for ordering stuff cheap online from the states, I ordered a pair of headphones: $120 + shipping.  After UPS had their way with me...$180 (seriously, brokerage fees + shipping + customs + tax worked out to 50% of the value of the item?).  On the bright side (or even more scary?), the same set here was $230, so I still saved myself $50 :o

Edit: As per what w squared said.....I don't condone smuggling things across the border, you should always declare what you're bringing into the country when you are asked by border officials.
BlackAura (Kevin)
Migrated to Seattle for a while.

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:44 AM »
Discussing things go bang on a public board is fine. (in my opinion, at least.)

Uhm, NO!
There are so many items  that we, or USA has, which easily aid transfer of dangerous gas, or aid in single pull trigger go boom type scenarios...

I see no need to discuss this in public forum.

"they" are now having a hard time coming up with solutions so they are turning to NA for ideas....
Jeep
With stuff

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 12:49:54 PM »
Well, what I am looking to ship doesn't go bang all by itself. But combine it with many other parts, and as a whole they make bang. And none of those parts are on the prohibited bang-list here in Canada. And none of those parts are US export restriction items either.
For Fraks Sakes, the part I have ordered from the States is made of wood, and it supports the bang parts, of a rimfire small calbre gopher thumper.

www.montanashipping.com

I'm using them, will let you know how things turn out. And their prices are quite reasonable. Even for pallet sized jeep parts, etc.

I always declare what I am bringing across, especially when its parts that make bang. I've never attempted to bring over a whole bang-stick, but I would leave that to the professionals who already have established local businesses dealing with such things.

I thought that NAFTA was supposed to make goods flow across the border easier. Apparently it's easier to transport a container full of human beings, rather than simple goods. Bureaucracy making things harder for the honest person.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:53:01 PM by Elsifer »
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »

www.montanashipping.com

I've used these guys in the past  and had good experiences. Fairly hassle- free and more than reasonable prices.

Good luck with your shipment Chris
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 07:34:33 PM »
Well, what I am looking to ship doesn't go bang all by itself. But combine it with many other parts, and as a whole they make bang. And none of those parts are on the prohibited bang-list here in Canada. And none of those parts are US export restriction items either.
For Fraks Sakes, the part I have ordered from the States is made of wood, and it supports the bang parts, of a rimfire small calbre gopher thumper.

www.montanashipping.com

I'm using them, will let you know how things turn out. And their prices are quite reasonable. Even for pallet sized jeep parts, etc.

I always declare what I am bringing across, especially when its parts that make bang. I've never attempted to bring over a whole bang-stick, but I would leave that to the professionals who already have established local businesses dealing with such things.

I thought that NAFTA was supposed to make goods flow across the border easier. Apparently it's easier to transport a container full of human beings, rather than simple goods. Bureaucracy making things harder for the honest person.

I feel your pain. I had a replacement trigger group for a 10/22 spend better than 90 days sitting in customs. :(

The issue is that the US DOS changes their mind more frequently than a Jeeper changes their tires, so some retailers have reacted by saying that they're not going to ship outside of the US because they can't afford a legal beagle just to figure out what is legal to ship this week.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(