Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Raising the YJ  (Read 2801 times)

Becker

Raising the YJ
« on: June 09, 2005, 08:59:15 AM »
I have a 93 YJ, pretty much stock, with the exception of a 2" body lift.  I want to put bigger rubber on it now, 33's, possibly even 35's. (currently running 31X10.5 BFG MT)

I'm curious to know what needs to be done to accommodate the 33's with the possibility of goin up to a 35 in the future.  I have been told that by "flipping" the suspension I can gain some clearance.  What is involved in this?  Where can I purchase the parts to do it.  

I have been told that if i'm going to be running larger rubber I need to install longer wheel studs and run spacers to avoid rubbing the front tires on the frame.  

The other dilemma is the power under the hood, but that will take a little longer to resolve.

Any info you can offer is appreciated.   :?

CJ-7

Raising the YJ
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 09:51:17 AM »
"For the Spring over"
I'm not to sure how a YJ is set up but .... You are going to need new u-bolts.... Those you can get from "standens". You also might need to cutt off the u-bolt bracket in the front and rear diffs. Then weld them on the flip side to accommodate for the leaf spirng being on the top of the diff.. Also you might want to get some shims so you can line up your drive shafts so that your u-joints do not have much of a angle.

This is how I had to do it on my other jeep--->    82 cj-7

80CJ

Raising the YJ
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 10:49:15 AM »
Depending on how much lift you gain, extended brake lines might be needed. Don't forget about maintaining steering geometry either.

Becker

Raising the YJ
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 05:02:27 PM »
Thks for the info

chadlh

SOA (Spring Over Axle) vs Add a Leaf (AAL)
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 06:35:39 PM »
I've sort of looked into it. Heres some of the list

*Some hardware requred to mount springs on top of axle (about $150-200 (RE kit))
*SYE and CV drive shaft (about $500 each)(a transfer case drop and axle shim won't cut it)
*You might want to move where your shocks are mounted on the axle
*As noted you are going to have to work on your steering issues (depending on the kits to fix the steering $100 or so)
*Brake line extensions stainless steel flexible ($75 X 2 front and back)

Cost is probably over $1300
Lift about 5.5"

The bottom line is that it will take a lot of work and money

I took the cheap route and it's still in working progress

*Front and rear add a leaf (about $150-250)
*Transfer case drop ($45)
*Axle Shim ($35 +/- type and size)
*Longer Shackles ($35-45) for metal
*1-2" body lift ($150 +/-)
*Solid brake line extension / relocation ($12)
*Minor Steering adjustment

Cost $500-600
Lift *about 2.5-3" from add a leaf
*1-2" from the body lift
*1" from the longer shackle

Total lift of around (4.5-6")

My future plan is to do the SOA but I want to swap out the axle at the same time for a Ford 8.8

If you want the ability to do it a project at a time then do what I did. If you have the time money and knowledge than do the SOA but don't expect it to be perfect without a bit of tweeking and lots of messing around.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Raising the YJ
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 07:45:35 PM »
Like what already have been said, you need about 6" of lift to get 35s and there are several ways to get that.

1.  ~4" of suspension lift (springs, shackles) and probably a 2" BL
2.  Spring-over
3.  go with a little smaller lift and use TJ flares

Now with a YJ your rear axle will not be able to happen 35s, so you will need to do an axle swap (8.8, 9" or D44).  If you go spring-over, steering becomes the main issue and getting it right can be tough.

I would recommend that it you want 33s now and maybe thinking about 35s later would be to go with a 4.5" RE lift, and that will be enough to easily clear 33s, then a some TJ flares and a 1-2" BL and you will have no problems clearing 35s.

Just my $0.02
'95 YJ with a few mods