Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: '95 YJ Clutch  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Wingnut

• Winch Wench
'95 YJ Clutch
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:26:17 AM »
I have a '95 YJ with a 4cyl and 5 speed manual tranny. My clutch is engaging right at the floor and it is getting very hard to change gears. It is also a fight to get it into reverse. I am assuming that it is hydraulic. Is there an adjustment to tighten up the clutch pedal so I don't have to press it to the floor to get it into gear?

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: '95 YJ Clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:25 AM »
check the master cylinder see if its low on fluid. top it up.

sounds like your slave is about to give up the ghost
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Wingnut

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:49:18 AM »
that's what I was afraid of. Does anyone have Jay's number?

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:00:06 AM »
I had the same problem and I had to change it out.

You can order a brand new complete hydraulic system from Chrysler and it is a 20-30 min change out.  The system is already filled with fluid and is ready to go. 
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:09:04 AM »
lucky guys with your external slaves....................

its an easy enough fix; start there and if it doesn't solve the problem it could be a release bearing.......... but considering you can do the slave without pullin the tranny its worth a shot
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »
lucky guys with your external slaves....................

its an easy enough fix; start there and if it doesn't solve the problem it could be a release bearing.......... but considering you can do the slave without pullin the tranny its worth a shot

If it was the release bearing was going, it would be squeeling like a giddy Dom in a room full of bacon everytime you pushed the clutch in.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Wingnut

• Winch Wench
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »
Now that's funny!

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:31:50 AM »
Buy the new master/slave and ill come help yea change it out.

Offline Wingnut

• Winch Wench
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
I'm still not sure what the problem is yet. I haven't even opened the hood to check the fluid. I checked National 4wd and they want $400 for the master/slave kit. I didn't want to spend that much. Part Source can get me a slave for $75 but it will take a couple of days. I'm not too good at wrenching so I might take you up on the offer once I figure out what I need. Thanks. It doesn't look like too big of a job to change out the slave.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
I'm still not sure what the problem is yet. I haven't even opened the hood to check the fluid. I checked National 4wd and they want $400 for the master/slave kit.

I got mine directly from Chrysler, I think Big 4, and it was very reasonably priced, but that was about 5 years ago now
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Wingnut

• Winch Wench
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »
Hmmm. I just check the master cylinder and it is almost empty. Maybe I will try filling it and bleeding first. I'm not sure where the fluid went in the first place though. I can't see any leaks. It needs further investigation

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 02:43:45 PM »
That fluid has to go somewhere guy. The re-fill and bleed will be temporary and probably leave you stranded somewhere. Internal leak and probably pooling up in the bellhousing if it's the slave. Check under your driver's side carpet for fluid or if it's running down the firewall under the pedals if it's the master.

You seriously lucked out for having the one year that the YJ had an external slave. Internal slave and you would have had to drop the tranny.

I've been down this road more than a few times. You will have to replace your slave and master cylinder.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:46:34 PM by tubby »
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 12:34:42 AM »
The complete master/external slave system from the Jeep Dealer was about $225 back a few years when I had the same problem, I kept refilling my master and carried spare fluid until I decided to replace it.  It's easy to install, even for a mechanical rookie like myself.
near stock advocate

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 07:27:24 AM »
Hmmm. I just check the master cylinder and it is almost empty. Maybe I will try filling it and bleeding first. I'm not sure where the fluid went in the first place though. I can't see any leaks. It needs further investigation

You can't really bleed these ones.  There is a screw on the top of the slave but it is not a proper bleed screw.  Fill it up and keep an eye on it.  It is a temporary fix but it will allow you time to figure out which way you want to go.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Wingnut

• Winch Wench
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »
So I filled the master and it took more fluid than I thought. I got more pedal instantly but it's still a bit spongy. I have read a couple of different techiques to bleed it on the internet. It was too dark to check for leaks but nothing on the ground this morning. I know what I will be doing this weekend. Thanks everyone for all the advice.