Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Another Jeep Rides the Meridian  (Read 8605 times)

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
Re: Another Jeep Rides the Meridian
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
until alberta, (western canada, all of canada) mandates winter tires or snowflake rated tires as mandatory in the winter months (debate the winter months) it is going to be the same thing each and every year.............and even if everyone has good tires, people seem to forget each year how little traction there may be on the roads.  It is what it is.  What else can you do but mind your own driving?? 
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
  What else can you do but mind your own driving?? 

Use bumpers made out of 1/4 inch steel plate. That way somebody else's carelessness doesn't cost you too much. ;)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 08:58:44 PM »
Yeah, when insurance was going to quibble about the cost of my ARB bumper after an accident, I pointed out that they could check the costs for collisions like that with the factory bumper and what replacing fenders, hoods, grilles, radiators, tires, rims and axle parts has run them in the past. They quickly paid for the bumper and minor body damage.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 06:11:10 AM »
Use bumpers made out of 1/4 inch steel plate. That way somebody else's carelessness doesn't cost you too much. ;)

truth!
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 05:31:21 PM »

The problem with 1/4" steel bumpers is the damage goes directly to the frame so instead of a cheap replacement bumper the owner is dealing with much more damage.

BTW, anybody that can't drive these roads on all-season tires should stay home sweep the floors or clean toilets.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 12:34:02 PM »
Good point. Bent frames are expensive, and don't even trust someone that doesn't understand basics like 4000lbs don't stop so good on...oh how about ICE!!... to clean toilets. So who's going to build "shear"'bumpers?  Used to run disposiable clips on sprint car...just need the bump factor to bounce the idiots off, pull a couple pins and drop on new "bumper"

Hhhmmmmm...Pook? Ideas?
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 12:41:52 PM »
i have engineered angles in to my bumpers so that in the event of hitting something solid (ie rock, other vehicle, walmart shopper) the bumper can glance off and hopefully deflect some of the energy. but the problem always remains that if you build something fool proof someone will inevitably build a better fool. although explosive reactive bumpers might be fun  8)

no matter what you drive just try to drive it safetly. but remember safe driving attracts idiot drivers!