Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Another Jeep Rides the Meridian  (Read 8606 times)

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
Another Jeep Rides the Meridian
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »
On my way to work this morning I had the displeasure of seeing one of our fellow Jeepers/Jeepettes had flipped their YJ onto the centre meridian on east bound glenmore trail!  It was not a sight any jeep owner would have wanted to see, although it did look pretty cool...  Unfortunately I didnt get a pic as traffic was rough but if anyone did throw it up here so we can all see what not to do in this weather.  Hope the owner is ok!!!

Kindly reminding everyone that Jeeps, although awesome, do flip easily especially in this bad road conditions.
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
Re: Another Jeep Rides the Meridian
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:34 AM »
I had the "pleasure" of having a co-worker relate a story of a Jeep that was at an intersection and when the light turned green, the operator began spinning their tires wildly at high rates of speed with a pedestrian right beside them. Alas, they had all-season tires on and were in 2 wheel drive. It seems some people buy a Jeep and think that alone will solve their poor driving knowledge and skills.

Was that just before Deerfoot? If so, I park just down the hill and saw the fire trucks etc., but had no idea it was  a Jeep up there.
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:15:52 AM »
well its about that time of year again.....

if you have 4wd and and don't use it in these conditions you're an idiot and I hate you.

i dont' care how good of a driver you are, how many accidents you haven't been in, or <insert excuse here>  if i see another fracking truck spinning its tires at an intersection becasue they're too cool for 4wd, i will lose it.  if you don't notice, wheelspin creates heat: heat creates melting snow. snow creates ice.

so azzpirates that spinout like that at intersections just slick it up for everyone else.  Thanks. your macho 'i'm cool and don't need 4wd" ego is highly unappreciated. 

same with people running summer tires still on cars and not winters.  next time you 'cant' get through an intersection, because you're spinning, i might just give you a nudge to get ya going.......

also don't feel like hearing the driveline debate or gas mileage debate. its all BS and not worth other peoples time or safety. 
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:19:23 AM »
a coworker mentioned the flipped jeep this morning, but he didn't think to take a picture.
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:56:45 AM »
Totally agree johnny.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
There is a flipped GC on the Glenmore Causeway westbound.

The on the median this morning.

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »
Proof of Distracted driving Fraser?   ::)
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 12:41:11 PM »
Proof of Distracted driving Fraser?   ::)

No my photo ;D

All my in car activities are still legal.

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 01:11:43 PM »
No my photo ;D

All my in car activities are still legal.

The list of illegal activities they rattled off on the radio the other morning were pretty funny.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 01:40:34 PM »
The list of illegal activities they rattled off on the radio the other morning were pretty funny.

I'm not allowed to sketch anymore while driving. :(
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
well its about that time of year again.....

if you have 4wd and and don't use it in these conditions you're an idiot and I hate you.

i dont' care how good of a driver you are, how many accidents you haven't been in, or <insert excuse here>  if i see another fracking truck spinning its tires at an intersection becasue they're too cool for 4wd, i will lose it.  if you don't notice, wheelspin creates heat: heat creates melting snow. snow creates ice.

so azzpirates that spinout like that at intersections just slick it up for everyone else.  Thanks. your macho 'i'm cool and don't need 4wd" ego is highly unappreciated.  

same with people running summer tires still on cars and not winters.  next time you 'cant' get through an intersection, because you're spinning, i might just give you a nudge to get ya going.......

also don't feel like hearing the driveline debate or gas mileage debate. its all BS and not worth other peoples time or safety.  

Pick me pick me. I’d be one of those that choose not to use 4x4 just for icy, snowy conditions.

I’ve had 4x4’s for 35 years now. Wife’s daily driver (Unlocked 4x4), my work truck (Unlocked 4x4) and all others also never go into 4x4 until absolutely necessary. Haven’t seen the conditions yet that justify that this season. 4x4 takes all the fun out of hitting corners and fish tailing.
I don’t however use a cell phone and do 80KM’s per hour as lead vehicle and no one around me on Deerfoot. Those people should get off of Deerfoot. People in general that are afraid of ice and snow on the road should leave their vehicles at home and call a cab.
After all our cabbie’s are so much better at driving in these conditions. Hahaha

Having it in 4x4 for everyday use just gives people the over confidence.
I could care less about fuel economy, but I do hate repairing drive train more than the person using 4x4 all the time.

Hate away if you feel you must.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:21:04 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »
the hate part is not literal ;)

my definition of 'necessary' is when you are the only vehicle to make it through an intersection because you're slipping the whole way.

if you slip a tire, put it in 4wd..... is that definition ok? 

ps, i also agree with you regarding those 'other' unsafe drivers 100%  i may be bitter, but i'm a pretty safe driver...... specially in winter
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 03:49:17 PM »
Whiteout that was the Jeep I was talking about!

4x4 is a must if you have it in these weather especially on deerfoot over those crazy bridges and just after the barlow/pegan exits.  Those corners are rediculously icy because there hasnt been enough heat build up on those parts of the road cuz people, as mentioned, don't have their winter tires on and drive like grandmas! (poor driving grandmas that is)
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
Personally I would rather replace a transfer case than rebuild a jeep that has rolled over. But maybe Im odd...

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »
Had to take the dually to town yeasterday, threw it in 4wd when I hit Cochrane hill and took it out to turn into my driveway. LAst thing I want is that thing kicking the back end out. 2 years ago the MIL rolled her Tacoma on the ice fields highway. I asked her if it was in 4wd at the time. She said the truck started fishtailing so she reached down to pull it into 4wd and thats when it went into the ditch and rolled. My guess is she turned the wheel when she reached down to pull the lever. Had she already been in 4wd she probably wouldn't have fishtailed.

My DD is an AWD minivan with studded tires. Its hilarious on snowy/icy days pulling away from an intersection and leaving the trucks/SUVs spinning away behind. Downside is I got rear ended twice last year cause I was able to stop and there person behind me couldn't. Fortunately neither were bad, no damage. My sister has studs on her Passat and got rear ended 2 days ago. Only had the car back 2 weeks after the last time she got rear ended.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles