Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New Jeep reviews?  (Read 4946 times)

Offline aaronck

• Baby Wheeler
New Jeep reviews?
« on: December 10, 2010, 12:49:19 PM »
I guess they're not really new anymore, but I'm thinking about buying one of the newer 4 door unlimited jeeps, as they're much more family friendly than the 2dr I have now.  Is the new V6 motor better than the tried and true 4.0?  I love my TJ, but I'm not super thrilled with the top end speed or mileage.  Has any of this stuff improved?

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: New Jeep reviews?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:38:39 PM »
no, the really screwed the pooch with the v6. It was terrible in a 2 door couldn't even imagine a 4 door. I had an 08 new rubicon, its like the whole thing is made of plastic. Touch the side of one and push, the whole piece of metal bends in.

I went back to a tj and couldn't be happier. Nothing beats the good old 4.0l.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
Also they are now changing the engines for another v6 for 2011. Hoping for an improvement. I mean that proves that the v6 is a let down. 

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 02:43:59 PM »
I guess they're not really new anymore, but I'm thinking about buying one of the newer 4 door unlimited jeeps, as they're much more family friendly than the 2dr I have now.  Is the new V6 motor better than the tried and true 4.0?  I love my TJ, but I'm not super thrilled with the top end speed or mileage.  Has any of this stuff improved?
A lot of people pooh-pooh the new motor. It has torque, but at a higher RPM, which isn't as useful. I can't say anything about longevity etc. When you get into the throttle and kick down the auto, the 4 door moves good, but if it is in OD and the torque converter is locked up, it doesn't have the oomph even for relatively small hills (but then, neither does my TJ really).

The top speed I guess is decent, I haven't pegged it out to the limiter etc.  The wee bit of aerodynamics help some.

The mileage depends on driving habits, I can get not bad out of it, a bit better than I can squeeze out of my '04 TJ Rubi, but then the 4 door is auto and my rubi is stick.

Having the 4 doors and extra room with a family is definitely appreciated however!

When the 4 door turbo diesel becomes available (or perhaps an electric drive hybrid) so the mileage and torque *both* improve, then I'd have another look.

Oh yes and AV's comment about it all being plastic or thin body metal is very true... eek!

2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline aaronck

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »
Thanks guys
Good to know.  Will they really put a Diesel in one day?

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
Thanks guys
Good to know.  Will they really put a Diesel in one day?

My opinion is that if they get one that meets the air quality for North America, they likely will. They do for most of the rest of the world already and have for a long time.  The diesel acceptance here is pretty low except amongst VW owners :), but is climbing fast due to the better fuel economy and performance.

They even had a fully functional set of hybrid TJ's out in the early 2000's that never made it past "prototype" testing that they claim are still "in the works". More recent articles can be found at: http://www.arrigopalmbeach.com/2010-jeep-wrangler-ev.htm

Update: They fired all the ENVI guys (Electric Hybrid) and shuffled them around, though there is still an electric program, it's been pushed off 4-5 years from the original plan! http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2009/11/chrysler-ends-envi-redeploys-engineers
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:59:55 AM by Tinkerer »
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline homeguy

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »
I have heard for 2012 Chrysler will be putting a Panastar like engine in the Wrangler.  What that means exactly... not sure.  I would love to have a diesel... I'd get rid of the gas engine in a second.
2010 Mountain Edition, ARB front and rear diff covers, BFG AT's, Vision X Solstice XILS4102 & Solo's, S-Pod switch bezel, K&N drop in filter, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Poison Spyder front bumper, OME 2" lift, Rigid Industries Dually's & D2's, M8000

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 01:11:44 AM »
I have heard for 2012 Chrysler will be putting a Panastar like engine in the Wrangler.  What that means exactly... not sure.  I would love to have a diesel... I'd get rid of the gas engine in a second.

that new pentastar will be interesting in the JK.  From what I have read, they are going to be the sole v6 that chrysler offers, and it has decent reviews in the new Grand. 

The 3.0l diesel from the Mercedes parts bin would have been incredible, but I am not big on the 2.8 VM diesel that is being sold in the J8 (if optioned that way).  I guess this is the same engine as the libby, and there are marginal reviews on that engine. 

See the J8 here
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:08:34 AM »
According to a couple contacts I  have with Mercedes dealers and Europrean clients, the biggest issue with diesel in North America is the quality of the fuel itself.  They all have said that our diesel is of lower grade than the tractor grade diesel in Europe therefore all this BS with particulate filters and urea injection are just bandaids.  Our governments have to get their heads out of the asses of the oil companies and smarten the pluck up!!!!! :o  There....now I feel much better!! ;)

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »
You usually pay for what you get!

We pay $.99 to $1.04/L for diesel

They in Europe... they also pay $1.32 to $1.95 cdn /L for diesel

I own an European motorcycle that is supposed to run on minimum of 95 octane fuel (that's regular unleaded in Europe,... super has 98 octane)... it's tough to find here without ethanol in it (and that's only 94)... They also pay up to $2.06 Cdn/L for unleaded and $2.24 cdn/l per super.

It would cost me about $175 to fill the Jeep and an extra $43+ to carry a jerry can.

I'm ok with the price/quality we have here... my toys just run fine and my wallet is happy.

Remember that most of everything that we buy/consume comes from somewhere else and has to be transported... fuel goes up... $prices$ usually go up too... Even Jeeps or diesel powered Jeeps ::)

Oh ya... I'm also 110% a fan of the 4.0L... I like its low torque.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:02:30 PM by SwampSinger »

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »

I own an European motorcycle that is supposed to run on minimum of 95 octane fuel (that's regular unleaded in Europe,... super has 98 octane)... it's tough to find here without ethanol in it (and that's only 94)...

You may know this already, but octane is measured/reported slightly differently in Europe than in North America. 95 octane across the pond has an equivalent octane rating to 90-91 octane here.

Europe pump labels are the RON octane rating, while in Canada/US the pump labels are the average of RON and MON/AKI.

(Of course, that all depends on whether your bike's recommended octane is listed in EU or US terms!)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:55:15 PM by CatSplat »
Jeep of Theseus

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
I'm a little less stupid today. I was not aware of that. That's what happen when you listen to a salesman and you do not do your research properly...my bad.

Thank you for the knowledge

The bike's manuel is listed in EU terms soo it works on minimum requirements here... it's not the best. I do not have much choice ::)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
Too bad they wont offer the 305hp Penstar engine for the jeep >:(
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »
Too bad they wont offer the 305hp Penstar engine for the jeep >:(

I dont know about the rating, but the pentastar is planned to be used in the next 2012 JK.

Linky to evidence.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2010/11/chrysler-financial-conference-call

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/09/jeep-wrangler-to-get-pentastar-v6-power-in-2012/

2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 03:37:19 PM »
Hey look the pentastar made Ward's top 10 engine list http://wardsauto.com/ar/names_best_engines_101207/